Greedy foal off his feed

Skyebald

Visit site
So I have a 4 1/2 month old colt, usually tucks into his feed and pinches mums too if he gets the chance :D

Saturday he went out on lusher grass for the day and on Sunday morning he didn't want his breakfast, wasn't too worried as thought he'd probably stuffed himself :rolleyes: He's not been back out in that paddock since as I don't want it cut up.

He ate his tea ok but not as enthusiastically as normal and hasn't eaten as well since. He only took a few mouthfuls this morning :confused:

He's well covered and I realise that a lot of foals don't even get any hard feed but I'm a little worried as it's not the norm for him. He still comes charging down to greet me and eager to stick his head in the bucket but then hardly eats it

He's been getting Sure grow with a small amount of fast fibre. I tried giving them seperately this morning but he just took two mouthfuls of each and wandered off and started grazing :confused:

He seems happy enough and has no discharge or signs of being unwell, he's feeding from mum ok and I have no plans to wean him for some time.

Obviously if he starts to show any other symptoms or it continues I will call the vet but hoping you'll all say not to worry too much :)

Nettle123

Visit site
There has been a flush of fresh grass so he may not be hungry. I would keep a close eye on him. We had a filly foal the same age who went off her feed and then started to show colic signs.

Poor lass ended up at the equine hospital with suspected ulcers and was on gastroguard and antbis for a month afterwards. She came right and is now a strapping 2 year old. I had never come across foals with problems so it was quite a shock.

Hopefully your boy is just full of grass.

legaldancer

Visit site
This happened with a friend of mine's foal, and it turned out to be a bout of worms.

The foal had been wormed previously, but when she did him again he was full of them. I would ask your vet if this could be the case and if so worm appropriately. Foals seem to be very susceptible to worms.

Like another poster has said, it may just be that the grass is good. Hope he's back to his former greedy self soon. :)

Skyebald

Visit site
I wormed him just over a week ago and I poo pick the field religiously .
He's only in there with his mum so shouldn't be worms :confused:

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
So I have a 4 1/2 month old colt, usually tucks into his feed and pinches mums too if he gets the chance :D

Saturday he went out on lusher grass for the day and on Sunday morning he didn't want his breakfast, wasn't too worried as thought he'd probably stuffed himself :rolleyes: He's not been back out in that paddock since as I don't want it cut up.

He ate his tea ok but not as enthusiastically as normal and hasn't eaten as well since. He only took a few mouthfuls this morning :confused:

He's well covered and I realise that a lot of foals don't even get any hard feed but I'm a little worried as it's not the norm for him. He still comes charging down to greet me and eager to stick his head in the bucket but then hardly eats it

He's been getting Sure grow with a small amount of fast fibre. I tried giving them seperately this morning but he just took two mouthfuls of each and wandered off and started grazing :confused:

He seems happy enough and has no discharge or signs of being unwell, he's feeding from mum ok and I have no plans to wean him for some time.

Obviously if he starts to show any other symptoms or it continues I will call the vet but hoping you'll all say not to worry too much :)

Not something I'd do... hope you have got away with it.

Skyebald

Visit site
It's a small paddock that just isn't used as much so there is slightly more grass , he has been turned out there for a few hours everyday for the last month . They still had access to their old paddock where the water supply is so they may have spent part of the day there .

They were shut back in the original paddock for the night but maybe that was taking a chance ... I will increase it more gradually before they have full access next time