Green Guard Muzzle

11bluewolf

Visit site
Hi

my horse needs to be on restricted grazing so we switch between small paddocks and muzzling him as it is a lot nicer for him to be out with his herd. However he has a sensitive nose (pink and prone to sunburn)and his normal basket type muzzle rubs if he wears it for more than a day. We are managing it at the moment by rotating him around from the small paddock and the big field so he old wears it for one day every 3/4 days.

Has anyone had any experience with green guard muzzles, do horses prefer them? and do they rub?

Ive also noticed that new they're pretty expensive! so if anyone knows where I can get one that is cheeper/ second hand that would be great!

Thanks!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Opinion is divided about Greenguard muzzles & other makes. I really like them but to get the best out of them you have to spend some time seeing that they fit correctly. I used them very effectively to maintain our horses weight at the correct level through the summer.

As to getting them at a reduced price, well that doesn't really happen except buying use ones on ebay in the winter. At this time of year you won't find them at a good price.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi

my horse needs to be on restricted grazing so we switch between small paddocks and muzzling him as it is a lot nicer for him to be out with his herd. However he has a sensitive nose (pink and prone to sunburn)and his normal basket type muzzle rubs if he wears it for more than a day. We are managing it at the moment by rotating him around from the small paddock and the big field so he old wears it for one day every 3/4 days.

Has anyone had any experience with green guard muzzles, do horses prefer them? and do they rub?

Ive also noticed that new they're pretty expensive! so if anyone knows where I can get one that is cheeper/ second hand that would be great!

Thanks!

keep an eye on ebay as they do come up

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If you're going for the GreenGuard then you really DO need the headcollar that goes with the muzzle bit, if you try to fit it with an ordinary headcollar it won't fit at all, and will slip.

Getting the correct fit is vital and you'll need to make sure it fits OK before turning out.

You will really need to watch out that the horse's lips & muzzle area - and tongue too - dont' get rubbed and raw when it is being worn too; there is a very real danger of this.

Whilst appreciating that sometimes you've gotta be cruel to be kind, there are a lot of other ways of managing a Good Doer and/or laminitic than muzzling. I do appreciate it isn't easy tho', I HAD to fit a Greenguard to my old boy who was laminitic, and it broke my heart having to do it, but it just had to be done :(

Perhaps strip-feeding or track-grazing for OP's situation would be a better way of managing grazing??

Last edited:

katymay

Visit site
My little Dartmoor wears a greenguard with no rubs or issues at all, my Dales is having four hours a day in his as it's new so want to break him in gently, the first time I used it he had awful rubs on his chin and I nearly gave up and sold it, yesterday I stuck loads of Vaseline on his chin and it didn't rub at all! I'm using his currently with a normal head collar as couldn't get a cob size greenguard one anywhere but it does twist a little so will buy the head collar as soon as it's back in stock, both ponies are happy in theirs

BandL

Visit site
Agree with what has been said above. Buy the whole set and make sure it fits correctly, I ended up using cable ties instead of the leather straps to get a better fit. I did have to use sheepskin down the side of his cheeks when his summer coat was very fine. On the cost, its cheaper than a vet bill...

Saying all of this, I don't use my greenguard muzzle at all now and control his weight by soaking his weigh and stabled overnight which I think we both prefer to having him muzzled!