Green horse and rider hit a wall

AppleBon12

Visit site
Ok so quick back story. I bought my welshy in October, a giant barrel from a field and we have been working on shifting the weight. From what I know she hasn't really done a lot in the past. Finally on a fantastic yard with amazing people and can focus on her. Have done lots of long reining and lunging in side reins, hacking (but it's very flat round here!) and schooling. New saddle fitted and just started introducing short canters.

Our problem is she is riding round like a giraffe, with zero bend and I feel like I have hit a bit of a wall with what to do. Lots of transitions and pole work trying to get her to use her back end.

Any ideas on what I can do to help encourage her to flex and soften at all?

{97702}

Visit site
As above! This is what I did with my very green cob type, it has taken about 8 months but we are getting there :) Go for the best tuition you can find, it makes all the difference

njyr

Visit site
Agree with the other comments and would add circles, lots and lots of circles/serpentine/loops. Just in walk at first, then in trot. Keep them big until she starts learning they are easier if she bends, then gradually make the circles smaller. Let her teach herself to balance through bending, don't force it, just guide her with your seat, legs and hands and it'll come.

HeyMich

Visit site
Same with my horse too. Last year she couldn't walk in a straight line, yet she didn't know how to bend either! I am just getting her to bend around my leg and loads of obstacles in the school - tyres, poles, jumps etc. Some days I just walk and do loads and loads of circles, serpentines etc, other days it's just a quick 5 mins after we've worked on something else. Some days we just do groundwork and I get her to bend around objects by using gentle pressure on her sides. She's definitely getting the idea and bending a lot more than last year. Keep at it and you'll get there!