Greenguard muzzles and headcollars - question...

Marnie

Visit site
A quick question - do you need to buy the Greenguard headcollars to go with the grazing muzzles or can any field safe headcollar be used?

Thanks!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've seen them on plenty of other headcollars, albeit often with some extra fluff to prevent rubbing. Do ensure you keep an eye on enamel wear if using one too.

Marnie

Visit site
Great, thanks.

Re the enamel wear - is that just the Greenguard or muzzles in general? I've got the webbing 'bucket' type ones but they seem.so hot, the Greenguard look as though they may be s bit cooler.

Thanks again!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
more greenguard, as hard plastic. IME they do seem to be better accepted by horses/allow a bit more eating than single hole bucket type. I don't think all end up with teeth issues, it depends on how they are using it so it's just something to keep an eye on in case.

Bernster

Visit site
I learned about the enamel wear from them from here. Dentist due soon so I will check although mine’s not wearing his right now. it’s rubbing him(he has lumps on his gland) so this has answered my question whether I can fit it onto a different halter,

VioletStripe

Visit site
Sorry to hijack thread but this is really interesting - perhaps naive of me but I had never heard before that muzzles and Greenguard ones in particular can cause enamel wear! Interestingly enough my dentist didn't notice anything back in January, and my Connemara has been in a muzzle every summer for a few years now due to our otherwise fantastic yard unfortunately being on old cattle grazing.

I've always stuck with the fabric types and recently switched to the rubber Shires Flexi one. Never used Greenguard because the cost has always seemed like a lot for something which I know he will trash in the field but wow! The more you know...

Bernster

Visit site
the fabric ones like shires look like they’d be hot and stuffy which is why I switched to the green guard. Next option might be that bonkers expensive plastic one That’s been posted about on here recently.

MissTyc

Visit site
Anytime I've used a greenguard headcollar I'd had awful rubbing and, as mentioned above, they are not field safe (that said the one I use isn't either and you can easily add leather breakaways on any headcollar) ... I use the Lemieux integrated sheepskin headcollar on mine and never had a problem with rubbing since doing this. My horses only try to remove the muzzle if they are uncomfortable. When there's no rubbing or pressure, they seem to forget they're on and just get on with grazing what they can. Those headcollars wash up "OK" but at £13 each on Ebay I'm happy if they do me a few years and then get replaced!

I've tried all muzzles except the new bonkers expensive plastic one, but have had many conversation with dentist and vet and have agreed that a bit of enamel wear is a small price to pay to have healthy horses that can range 40 acres of grazing without exploding from it.

sherry90

Visit site
I had rubbing with the green guard and I did notice wear on teeth (although he only wore it August to September a few hours a day so I’m not sure if it’s just from that or other factors!)

But, I switched to the thinline flexible filly muzzle this year and my EDT said he felt it was the better of the two teeth wise. I had rubbing with this over the nose until I put some sheepskin padding on (I used the head collar sheepskin sets you can get!) but it’s perfect. He can eat and drink in it perfectly and he can even snack on the hawthorn through the side of it! It’s breathable and I’ve not had any issues even in the heat with it.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I find that yes you can use an ordinary head collar with the greenguard muzzle but you may not get the fit that you want. The problem is that the muzzle is quite heavy & as a result of this it tends to weigh the nose band down so the fit is not too good. The greenguard head collar has an additional strap on it. The strap runs between the brow band & the nose band. his gives additional support to the muzzle & it stays where you have fitted it.

People who complain of 'rubbing', 'teeth wear', eating grass out of the side, etc have not spent sufficient time fitting the muzzle. If you spend time doing this, it isn't a couple of minute job, it will be correctly fitted without causing any injury. It was designed with an input from vets so it should be good. The main issue is the ridiculously high price they sell for new, around the £70 mark.

Some people buy muzzles & then they make the holes bigger, why? The hole idea is to restrict grazing, so why do it.