Greenguard Muzzles - Safe?

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
hello
smile.gif
our new pony could do with losing a bit of weight, and we thought a greenguard muzzle would do the trick, but there are quite a lot of low trees and stuff in his field, and we were worried that the muzzle might get caught on something? does it have a safety release/snap, so if he did get tangled up, he could get free? also if you have any comments about these muzzles they would be welcome
smile.gif

thanks!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Greenguard muzzles are the only one that was designed with veterinary surgeons having an input on the design. I believe they are the best on the market & my lad has been wearing one for the last 3 summers without incident & he has trees & shrubs around his paddocks.

As has been mentioned the risk of laminitis or cholic is far higher than getting caught up in the muzzle.

amzy

Visit site
I find the Greenguards to be a bit fiddly to adjust properly but I do like them. Unfortunately mine had rubbed in two places, although it was doing a good job for a few days but I am now using the Shires muzzle. I don't have any trees in my paddock but I would have worried if there was anything that it could have been caught up on.

Rosiefell

Visit site
I think the design has changed now but with the original one my small NF could get her nose out of the gaps
crazy.gif
. Dinky Rugs do a grazing muzzle too.

kizzywiz

Visit site
Another vote for the Shires type muzzles here, I found the Greenguard rubbed & she got her nose out of the side, also the Shires types do have the breakaway fastenings. These are based on the design first brought out by Equilife which were the Best Friend ones, they are recommended by the Laminitis Clinic. They were the best to begin with, but I think the quality is not so good now, & they are far more expensive.

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Greenguard muzzles are the only one that was designed with veterinary surgeons having an input on the design. I believe they are the best on the market & my lad has been wearing one for the last 3 summers without incident & he has trees & shrubs around his paddocks.

As has been mentioned the risk of laminitis or cholic is far higher than getting caught up in the muzzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you.

My laminitic Shetland and my Section A both wear Greenguards pretty much constantly in summer. They both have a Shire's one too but both can get them off with ease. The Greenguard may let more grass through than the Shires, but I know it will stay put.

The Greenguard did initially rub Tweenie on her nose, but I covered the attachment to the noseband of the head collar with a sheepskin nose sleeve. It's never rubbed since (that was about two years ago).

Not a great pic as I don't take many of her in the muzzle.
adayinthesun22April-12.jpg

I also bought a Best Friend one, on recommendation, and the field release clip was broken within about an hour. It came with a replacement clip which lasted the same amount of time. Both of mine put their foot around the muzzle and tread on it causing it to snap free. They do the same with the Shires one. You just find it hanging under their chin, and it's not possible to put it on any tighter either. They don't feel as restricted in the greenguard and I've never seen them try to remove it.

If you are worried about a greenguard getting caught, just attach it to a field safe headcollar. The leather keepers on the muzzle should break anyway if it gets caught on something. Tweenie's had hers for nearly 4 years and not one strap on hers has broken yet. Can't say the same for the Shetland, he's a little terror......or rather the youngster I used to own was. He chewed the straps to undo them. Team work, you might say.

ISHmad

Visit site
If you use a Greenguard muzzle please DON'T use the Greenguard headcollar with it, as there isn't a breakaway point in it. Use a Fieldsafe headcollar instead.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you use a Greenguard muzzle please DON'T use the Greenguard headcollar with it, as there isn't a breakaway point in it. Use a Fieldsafe headcollar instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or cut part of the greenguard headcollar and replace it with a string loop that will break away in the event of an accident.
smile.gif
I've done this and have never had problems. The leather straps on the actual muzzle part are very thin and break easily too (too easily if you are a greedy coblet!)