Greenwich Park for the Olympics

Daffodil

Visit site
Now that the Olympics are over for another four years, and the eyes of the world are focussing in our direction to see if we can do as well, or better, than the Hong Kong organisers, who did a magnificent job, what do HHOers think of the allocation of Greenwich Park for the equestrian sports?

seche

Visit site
Why we dont use Windsor I have no idea - how on earth can you fit a true ***.5 / **** track on 178 acres with ALL the Dressage arenas/Showjumping areas Stabling - and other major facilities - incuding parking/hardstanding as will no doubt rain etc etc etc East London is NOT big enough for the Equestianism side of things imho!!!
shocked.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
Well Pootler and I walked Greenwich Park last weekend with 2012 in mind. Whilst it would provide the most amazing backdrop EVER! we struggled to work out how it would all fit in. Whilst I'd love to see it happen and think it would be great for the sport to be held in London I'm not sure it can work. I'd hate to see the quality of the event compromised by limited space and facilities. Perhaps they could host the dressage and showjumping there - but I still need to be convinced about the eventing. Would love to see some plans
laugh.gif

ClareHasler

Visit site
I have to say that i feel this will be such a waste of money, time & resources. Surely Windsor is by far a much better option,or, why not use one of our well established tracks/ centres? After all if the Beijing Olympics could site the equestrian events in Hong Kong at least the 2012 site would still be in the same country.........

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
makes no sense to me. there are a multitude of parks (some royal, others not) within greater London which would be much more adequate than greenwich. Hampstead Heath in north london would make for a fabulous backdrop and great variety of terrain. Windsor would be perfect, so would Richmond Park, or wimbledon common. No idea on the rights to use such places - but surely not that much of a stretch considering that greenwich park is a royal park.

helll, even hyde park has more space to fit an event in
confused.gif

Angua2

Visit site
Greenwich is not big enough.

I think they should consider some of the already established equestrian establishments. for example A short distance from london and close to a London airport is Hickstead

kombikids

Visit site
can someone tell me why they cant use burghley or badminton or any of our other wordclass courses(sure theres an explanation i guess i dont know it!)

BBs

Visit site
Like everything in this country, they are only interested in digging up the only grass areas.

FFS we have suitable courses at Windsor and Blenheim. Hey the last time they used Tweseldown.

It really bugs me that although we have the best equestrian facilities in the world they are all desperate to put it in the centre of London??? why??? specators will be at a minimum.

If Badminton can pull in over 100 thousand ppl over the weekend, how many will the olympics attract?

Oh it makes my blood boil it really does.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
I've no idea about the size of Greenwich park but surely it would make more, long term, economical sense to upgrade an existing 2 or 3* course to 4*/olympic level so that everyone at that level can enjoy the benefit of it for years to come and the UK gets another world class competition?? I'm guessing they're 'de-rigging' everything from Greenwich after the olympics and no one gets any further benefit from it?

duckling

www.facebook.com
I seem to remember reading something about the trees in Greenwich park too - some were planted at the millenium and were sponsored by families in memorial of someone they'd lost. I'm sure they line a path through the park or something and for the cross country to run, some of those trees would have to be 're-sited', and understandably the families that had sponsored these trees were furious that they might be moved...

Greenwich Park is lovely, but not big enough and as has been said with so many other options it would be mad to stage it there. The sailing is being held in Weymouth so it wouldn't really matter if it wasn't in London!!

flyingfeet

Visit site
I think its utterly disgusting and irresponsible of the BEF who are supposed to represent us to even think of this!

If this stupid plan goes ahead, it will be too crowded, within the LEZ and the Greenwich residents don't want it

I am bitterly disppointed that unlike Hong Kong we don't get a new world class facility

The cherry on the top is that we are unable to hold the World Equestrian Games due to lack of facilities.

The BEF board want dismissing for pure stupidity and short sightedness. Who cares if its not 30 mins from the main venue, the sailing isn't and we win medals in that too!!!

billyslad

Visit site
I think that there should be a legacy left afterwards and it needs all the media attention it can get however the eventing at the olympics is never like Badminton or Burghley , there will not be loads of tradestands etc because of Olympic restrictions.

That legacy may be that we have raised the sports profile among non horsey people by having the games in central London rather than at traditional venues.

duckling

www.facebook.com

kit279

Visit site
I think financially it's a daft idea. No. 1 - the powers that be want the games to come in under budget. No. 2 - the IOC have been complaining for years how expensive and space occupying the eventing sport is. No. 3 - the horses will have to be stabled outside London anyway. So, the obvious question is:- why build and then dismantle a *** event in London when you can save an enormous amount of money and have it just outside? Also, Zone 6 of London now extends to deepest darkest Surrey and Middlesex anyway so why not hold it there??

kit279

Visit site
Oh, and a word to the wise:- if Paris had won the 2012 Games, they planned to build a brand spanking new equestrian venue just outside Paris in Chantilly. So that everyone could enjoy it for years to come..

duckling

www.facebook.com
Billyslad - The problem with Greenwich Park though is the uproar it's currently causing amongst local non-horsey residents. They don't want to lose their park (it will need to be closed or partially closed) whilst the building work goes on for the course, nor do they want trees uprooted and the landscape spoiled - understandable again, as there's not exactly an abundance of green space around Greenwich!! It's causing bad feeling towards the equestrian events already as they don't want 'toffs tearing up the park'...

PeanutButterDragon

Visit site
I completely understand them all being pissed off - I know I would be since there are precious little green spaces in London as it is.

An entirely new facility elsewhere would be the best thing for everyone - less restriction on space, a permanent facility to be enjoyed for years to come, no disruption to Greenwich dwellers.

billyslad

Visit site
I am not suggesting that it is the best venue just suggesting that the legacy could be a wider exposure of the sport.

Not all of the seats were ever full in HK and I am not suggesting that would happen here but the faithful will watch it anywhere it is the new people that are important and widening that appeal is the bit that the equestrian side needs to appeal to .

If Olympia was relocated to the NEC for eg would as many non horsey people go or would it continue to attract the level of corporates interested and indeed bring in new interest

_April_

Visit site
Oh dear! I am in the minority, I live 10 mins away and I thought it would be great, I could have a HHO party at my house
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

It is a bit small though... and it is silly to make one and then tear it down afterwards,

pocket

Visit site
Living near to Greenwich and knowing how beautiful it is, I think it would be magical and I can almost walk to it (if I give myself a good 2hr start
grin.gif
), so yes please
grin.gif

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Greenwich is not big enough.

I think they should consider some of the already established equestrian establishments. for example A short distance from london and close to a London airport is Hickstead

[/ QUOTE ]

Hickstead is a.) not big enough and b.) they'd need to put some SERIOUS work into it to make it anything remotely as good as Hong Kong.

Windsor would be a fantastic location
grin.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
Having lived on the edge of the park and dad still does it is madness, it is never going to be large enough and feel it is a waste of money to put into something from scratch
Another vote for Windsor Great Park, plenty large enough, great back drop/location and close enough to London, mostly good ground
Come on Windsor for the XC
grin.gif