Grey horse won his class but it wasn't pretty - advice please!

kit279

Visit site
My sterling little grey horse took my OH showjumping at the weekend and won first prize, bless him! He was great, warmed up beautifully, stood around patiently and really really helped his rider out. Unfortunately he was a real prat at the prize giving (perhaps unused to rosettes?!) but hey ho..

The problem was that the round (3ft-ish) didn't really flow very nicely. The horse is very scopey and really helped my OH out on a number of occasions by chipping in a little extra stride and really tried for him, no thought of refusing, very genuine ponio and a double clear but it was touch and go and I really thought they'd have some fences down. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong though. It looked like OH was asking for too much collection and the horse didn't really have enough oomph to get over some of the spreads. Horse is quite capable of jumping Newcomers but not necessarily with this rider at the mo
crazy.gif
I also privately thought that OH didn't really commit the horse to the jump and dropped the contact a bit between fences.

What should I 'advise' OH to do? How do you get a nice flowing rhythm around a course?

tricksibell85

Visit site
I think its quite easy to blame the rider.

Maybe you should take horse round a course and see how easy it is - i dont think anyone can make a judgement unless they have actually done it themselves.

hellspells

Visit site
I have very very limited knowledge re jumping as the darling vicki_krystal told me the other day I am a 'dressage wimp'. But my trainer use to get me doing hours and hours of pole work, getting a consistant nice bouncy rythem (sp). Lines and lines of poles making sure that the approach, going over and leaving them is all the same.

Not sure if that is in any way helpful...but good luck x

kit279

Visit site
Erm.. Actually, it is my horse! He's a good showjumper and I've jumped clear at BSJA Discovery on him without too many problems. He usually has quite a good rhythm for me just didn't seem to this weekend.

catembi

Visit site
Maybe it's just a case of practise makes perfect? Or trying some smaller courses at home to get his eye in? Or some lessons?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would say lessons, and pole work at home with him working on how to lengthen and shorten strides in the canter. Maybe he just isn't used to taking the horse round a course of fences and maintaining a rhythm.

Put up some very small fences (max 1ft) and get him to place the horse exactly at the fence on the correct stride. I think you can also do this on a 20m circle with 2 small fences on it, getting an equal number of strides each time. eg small fence, half 20m circle, small fence, half 20m circle then back to the first fence again. Hope that helps? can also be frustrating seeing someone else ride your horse, and tactfully instruct how to improve I know!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Slightly different - but my OH is just learning to jump, I cannot teach him. I leave that all down to his instructor. Maybe worth sending the pair of them off for a few lessons or clinics?