Greying out?

Slave2Magic

Visit site
How soon can you tell if a youngster is going to grey out? My boy is nearly 8 months and there isn't a grey hair on his body. I have looked around the eyes, base of tail etc. and there is nothing but his mum is dapple grey.

frozzy

Visit site
I am not the best person to answer you, but I am sure the genetics fans can give you the answer, however we had a grey mare foaled a filly by our palamino stallion. She was born dun and has stayed dun. She is now three and I am told she will stay dun .

team barney

Visit site
Was he/she bay at birth? If so were his/her legs black or a creamy colouur? If they were black he/she will most likely grey out. If they were creamy she/he will most likely stay bay

Slave2Magic

Visit site
101_04862.jpg

This was him at 6 weeks old. He is now totally black.

BonneMaman

Visit site
My filly had a grey mum and dad and you could tell from her first moult that she was turning grey. Proper spectacles around the eyes.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Most you can tell when they are either born or when their proper coats start to come in.
There are always exceptions, I had a foal that was dark bay/brown and he was three before he decided to turn grey and a filly that was also dark bay until she was five when she went grey. Both were very slow to go actually 'proper' gray.

Not a lot of help for you I know.

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
My ID was born a liver chestnut and that is what is on her passport. She started getting a few grey hairs when she was around a year old and now, she'll be three at the end of April, her face is very definitely turning to grey! Her sire and dam are grey and her breeder expected her to go grey eventually.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
My foal is greying out. He was born bay with black legs and now he's 9 months old and got grey flecks in his coat and his muzzle is very light grey. I think when his winter coat changes I think he will be quite light but at the mo he's sort off dark grey/blue roan like

dapplepink

Visit site
I have pictures of my boy up till he was 3 and he was very very dark like in one of your pics, I bought him age 10 and he only has dapples on his bum, neck and legs now and is gray everywhere!
Sorry that doesn't help too much but he was definatly still über dark at 3!! Mum is black and dad is grey.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Some horses grey out very gradually after some years, as others have said, some foals are obviously greying from birth. Just because a foal has two grey parents does not mean he/she will grey also, but a grey foal MUST have at least one grey parent. You can get foals DNA tested for colour, or you can just wait and see.