grid/ related distance distances!

zozo

Visit site
im having a bit of a memory blank moment! can any one pleae tell me in meters (and roughly how many human steps!) a 1 strided double, 2 strided double, 3 strided and 4 strided double would me! also a placing pole in canter in front of a fence, and a placing pole for trot, and canter poles after a fence!

thanks a lot in advance

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Well I've always done it like this...
For a 1 strided double you allow 2 human steps for where the horse will land after the jump, then it's 4 human steps = 1 horses canter stride then allow another 2 for where he needs to take off, so that makes 8 human steps for a 1 stride double. So therefore a 2 stride double would be 8 + 4=12, a 3 stride would be 12+4= 16 etc.
But then it would also depend on how big your steps are and how big the horse is.
For example I went to an unaffiliated show and the double there was 7 strides as there were ponies in it too.

Hope that makes sense!

Horsemad12

Visit site
8 (Human) Strides is what I would walk BSJA etc.

Usually for grid work you would build it at 7 strides esp if you are jumping out of trot. But it depends on the horse, my mare over jumps and currently struggles on 7 strides.

I would usually put a placing pole at 3 strides and a landing pole at 3-4 depending again on the horse, better to start with a pole further away and bring it in, rather than risk landing on it.

A bounce would be 3.5 to 4 strides, but I have jumped them on under 3 on a more experinced horse!

Have fun!