Grid work to lift a horses front end

jump jet

Visit site
I have a Showjumper that is VERY good behind but needs something to get him to lift in front.
He has a very good technique but struggles to get his shoulders up as his neck almost comes too far down. He tucks his feet up and is careful, it's just as though he jumps on the forehand??
Does anyone have any exercises or advice for something to help him come up in front?

old hand

Visit site
I have two that did this in 40 years, they tended to jump long and low but clear the fences, both had navicular. One was only a six year old and was broken at 5 and a half. I would have that ruled out first ( both were super careful as they did not want to hit their feet on the fences) but were so genuine they would not stop. Both a bit stuffy on the flat and improved after ten to fifteen minutes of warming up. Neither reacted particularly to flex tests but both opened up massively when nerve blocked. Both huge movers and both bucked explosively occasionally not as a rule. The other was always stuffy from when he was broken at four and half , navicular was found at eight but it turned out he had joint ill as a foal and this caused general arthritis. if lameness is ruled out bounce grids help a lot as they learn to react quickly and rebalance. Canter pirouettes help too if the flat work is good enough, plus loads of half halts on the flat to sit the horse up, be careful not to block the forward movement leg on at all times.. Good luck with him.

nato

Visit site
- Bounces
- V poles on fences
- Lie a pole diagonally across an oxer
- triple bar spreads / sloping oxers

He needs to sit back on his hocks. Lots and lots of canter poles, lots of cavaletti, and placing poles throughout lots of grids

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
As already said canter poles and lots of bounces, building up the number of bounces gradually. This has really helped a pony I school and a very heavy ID. Pony no longer throws itself at the fences and makes a lovely shape. ID now uses herself properly, is much stronger and finds getting the correct striding much easier.
If possible loose school your horse and/or try to school through the grid in a loose rein to encourage them to relax, use themselves correctly and also think for themselves.

Sorry, got a bit carried away, but hope this is helpful.

smja

Visit site
The other thing to bear in mind is your influence - I don't know how experienced you are (sorry if this is old news!) but rider position can have a huge influence on jump technique. In particular, going too far up the neck/moving too early/too restrictive a hand can prevent horses lifting at the front, and is often compensated for by a big hind end action.
Does he jump the same way with other people?

If it's just him, then improving the canter helps in the longer term and v poles are your friend :)

jump jet

Visit site
He's only a baby so he has a lot to learn yet and all the time to do it as I refuse to rush him. Nobody else has ever sat on him but when loose jumped he had the same style over a fence, a lot of weight on the front with a cracking behind. His canter has a lot of improving to do so that will hopefully solve the majority of the problem. I just wanted to get some ideas for future reference so thanks smja and LittleRooketRider :)