groom beating up spoilt pony

Echo Bravo

Visit site
A previous thread, had a groom saying she beat up spoilt pony and hated it, pony being bottled fed as a foal and had no manners. My point is how many of you on livery, what would you do if you found a groom? employed by your livery yard did the same to your horse/pony?

Clodagh

Visit site
If any horse of mine endangered someone I would expect them to discipline it. I work at a livery yard and peoples spoiled little darlings trying to flatten you on a regular basis is no fun. I think 'beating up' is a bit strong but I have certainly whacked them.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
She didn't beat it up; she gave it a slap and threw a bucket at it, after which it behaved very nicely. If my grooms allowed a horse to misbehave and didn't reprimand it I would be very cross - I have a stallion who will try it on with people he perceives as "weak"; the instructions are to give him a fairly meaty whack if he so much as looks crossways at you, after which he will be a gentleman as per normal.

TandD

Visit site
My horse hasn't been 'beaten up' but had very rough handling by a large polish bloke who worked with polo ponies. He was often smacked continually and shoved around his stable when his rugs were being changed. I saw this with my own eyes. And my horse was not, or ever has, been naughty when rug changing..... So have no idea why this guy was doing this. I'd been concerned for a while as my horse just hadn't seem right. However once I'd seen this mans behaviour I had a very strong word with YO and said that my horse was never to be handled by this bloke again!!! YO not impressed with me, but my horse, my rules..... Other groom was amazing and took her time to regain his trust.

I couldn't really approach him, he had a temper and I felt very uncomfortable when around him.......

however a a smack now and again when bad manners do crop up I don't mind.... Rather the horse remembers to behave than get away with something that could turn dangerous!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I too am a bucket thrower on occasion, sometimes it's the only thing to hand (in my case when being barged out of the way at the stable door. The clatter of a bucket can have quite an effect, even if it is a mile off making contact with the horse.

I think it depends on the effect it has on the horse. Some horses are sensitive flowers that would be headshy afterwards, others don't care!

Pigeon

Visit site
It was attacking a cat so she shouted and threw a bucket - would you rather she let kitty be pulverised? Lesser of two evils here and I very much doubt the pony was physically harmed.

Just to put this in perspective.

Goldenstar

Visit site
She did not beat it up as Cortez said she chucked a bucket at it and slapped it and shouted because it kicked the cat
My grooms would not do it as they would never ever be left handling a monster supported .
The girl that made that post is very probably young very overworked and recieving no support the fault lies with her employer and the totally dim owners that have created the monster mare

risky business

Visit site
I wouldn't call a bucket and a slap abuse though? Iv slapped my horses before can't say iv used a bucket before though.

If you mean if you found out your horse had actually been beaten then I wouldn't like to put down what would happen there...

Echo Bravo

Visit site
And that's what I was saying Goldenstar, the pony is spoilt but that is not the pony's fault, but for someone who is employed to look after said pony, should not be doing any sort of violence back, how is the pony surpose to learn that humans aren't all that bad? And many a young horse have been ruined by grooms that let their tempers rule the day.

ridefast

Visit site
If someone abused my horse for NO reason then I would have something to say about it and said person would not be allowed contact with my horse again. However my horse is a big, dominant mare who is sweet as pie while she knows her place in the herd (which is lower than humans) but any undesired behaviour that is not nipped in the bud escalates very quickly and you have a big dangerous animal on your hands. So discipline, correction, fine with me. Outright abuse with no reason? Die.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Frankly is my mare was breaking out of fencing kicking domestic pets and bulling yard staff to the point they where seeking advice on the Internet I would hang my head in shame

MadBlackLab

Visit site
The OP of that thread felt bad about what she did. She did explain this horse's behaviour and how she tried to be firm with him before and it hadn't worked but this incident of the bucket chucking had worked. How she described the horse she lucky not to been hurt many times previously. People on here can honestly hand on heart not aimed a brush at a horse for pawing ground to startle it or bucket at stable door to stop it kicking? Sometimes we have to do something we don't agree with to prevent an accident happening.

When my friend got her youngster he use to rear up and box at you while poo picking and normally sneak up on you. One day when he did this to me I used plastic scoop to protect me and it caught him on his belly. This worked only had to threaten him with it and he stopped rearing at you. Took him few times to understand . Now he is an angel in field. That little bit of over-firm handling has prevented any injuries and got a respectful horse

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes I went to work with four stallions, all pretty quiet types, in ridden work but was told one had attacked the previous groom so I was not allowed to "do" it
I soon discovered all the Boys were terrified by the big mucking out fork, so had obviously been threatened.
I was allowed to muck out Number 4 after a few days, and he was as good as gold.
Then the Bloody Vet came along to look number 4, he said, any nonsense and I ll soon sort him out.............. Yes said I, "well just sort me out first, the horse is as quiet as they come"
Shows you how easy things get twisted......

Jesstickle

Visit site
She didn't beat it up; she gave it a slap and threw a bucket at it, after which it behaved very nicely. If my grooms allowed a horse to misbehave and didn't reprimand it I would be very cross - I have a stallion who will try it on with people he perceives as "weak"; the instructions are to give him a fairly meaty whack if he so much as looks crossways at you, after which he will be a gentleman as per normal.

Quite

Eb this post is really unfair on the originator of that thread frankly. If anyone ought to be ashamed it is you. Poor girl. No need to be vile to her, she is clearly doing her best.

Also it isn't a livery yard. I think she has sole charge of a private yard so not quite the same. Her job is therefore to square up what needs squaring up. On a livery yard that really ought to be the owners job so behaviour is different.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
And that's what I was saying Goldenstar, the pony is spoilt but that is not the pony's fault, but for someone who is employed to look after said pony, should not be doing any sort of violence back, how is the pony surpose to learn that humans aren't all that bad? And many a young horse have been ruined by grooms that let their tempers rule the day.

Perhaps it would be better if the mare learned that humans are not "nice", or at least not to be trifled with? As the owner of a horse who actually WAS beaten in the past I can say that of course irrational or sustained punishment is not to be condoned, but I still do on occasion have to remind even him that manners are required. Training horses without "violence" - which I am presuming means physical reprimand - is not practical and has to remain in the toolbox for certain horses. As a very well respected (and famous) trainer friend of mine says, with tongue firmly in cheek, "Respect is essential with horses, spelled 'F.E.A.R' "

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I threw a bucket a pony once...
Offered it a treat - it took the treat, then took a chunk from my shoulder.

This is a practically unhandled but very bolshy -dangerous- 3 year old.

Booboos

Visit site
I didn't read the original thread but if all the groom did was give the pony a slap and throw a bucket at it to prevent it from hurting a cat, it's hardly abuse! My lot have definitely had slaps, I don't even thing it affects them physically, it's more of a psychological issue with horses. As for the bucket I have seen a horse get a bucket and it thoroughly deserved it. My bf at the time walked in the stable with her bucket of water, she was not startled or upset in any way but still turned around and gave him a proper double barreled kick - she got the water shortly followed by the bucket and deserved it. Hardly abuse, in fact I doubt any physical pain was involved at all, but the shock of the water and the rattling of the bucket stopped her from ever doing it again.

Fairynuff

Visit site
If any horse of mine endangered someone I would expect them to discipline it. I work at a livery yard and peoples spoiled little darlings trying to flatten you on a regular basis is no fun. I think 'beating up' is a bit strong but I have certainly whacked them.
this^^^^ :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I didn't read the original thread but if all the groom did was give the pony a slap and throw a bucket at it to prevent it from hurting a cat, it's hardly abuse! My lot have definitely had slaps, I don't even thing it affects them physically, it's more of a psychological issue with horses. As for the bucket I have seen a horse get a bucket and it thoroughly deserved it. My bf at the time walked in the stable with her bucket of water, she was not startled or upset in any way but still turned around and gave him a proper double barreled kick - she got the water shortly followed by the bucket and deserved it. Hardly abuse, in fact I doubt any physical pain was involved at all, but the shock of the water and the rattling of the bucket stopped her from ever doing it again.

Ha ha,brilliant! Wish the bucket I threw had water in!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Booboos she cloutd it with a broom a couple of times, shouted and threw a bucket. Incase you care

BH kicked me once. I chased him across the yard with the broom up his arse so if that is abuse I am guilty too!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I dont generally condone any kind of violence towards animals (or people for that matter) however Im not adverse to giving my older horse a smack for biting as I have been bitten very very hard by him and I wont tolerate it. My youngster is bolshy but not aggressive and he needs different handling, I rarely feel the need to smack him...a growl normally does the trick. Every horse is an individual and I suppose needs to be reprimanded as such.
My friend keeps her horse with mine and is a novice owner so I cant allow obstreperous behaviour around her as she is only 5ft tall and my 2 are giants compared to her!!!!

Grinchmass

Visit site

The stallion at our yard kicked a vet across the stable for just lifting and examining his hoof - she didnt even get the hoof testers on him, she was far too soft with him but we all felt blinking awful (dont ask why she didnt sedate him as soon as he started acting up, ots beyond me.) He tried it with me when I was applying a poultice, a smack on the bum and a stern command to stop being a prat and he behaved like an angel.

Sometimes you give them an nice and they take a mile. I wouldn't dream of beating a horse up, but if it's a choice between a slap on the bum or getting kicked in the chest I know what I'd choose.

They are big powerful animals and they need to learn that bolshy unruly behaviour is not acceptable. I'm not saying that giving them a slap is the ideal way around such issues, but on occasion it's necessary. I have seen too many people injured by failing to instil discipline with their horses, which in turn is blinking dangerous if anyone else has to be around and or handle them.

I know if my mare was being a pig and putting someone's safety at risk that I would expect them to have their safety as priority. Although I would be furious if a smack of discipline turned to a vicious attack.

Last edited:

Polos Mum

Visit site
Mares in a herd will give youngsters a very firm and physical reminder of how to behave, timing and calmness is key to making sure the horse understands what you are telling them (in no uncertain terms!)

For mine a raised voice is usually enough, they do test the boundries now and again but find them still in place so it rarely lasts more than a moment or two