Grooming at Windsor tomorrow - what to wear?

Tash88

Visit site
Hi all, just looking for some advice on what to wear tomorrow as a groom at Windsor. I am helping in one of the ridden cob classes and will be going into the ring for when the grooms go in to spruce the horse up/help the rider when the judge rides etc.

This is my first season of helping at showing shows and by far the biggest show I will have helped at, although was at a BSPS show at Addington the other week. The grooms were in a variety of outfits, from v casual and a bit scruffy, to looking like they were showing themselves. So I'm not sure what to wear so it looks like I fit in!

Any advice appreciated, thank you :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
According to the schedule "In “In Hand” classes, or classes where grooms or attendants are permitted to enter the ring during
Preliminary or Final judging they must be correctly dressed. Headwear, coats, collars and ties must be worn."

A fellow livery is competing on Sunday and has said her groom has been told she must wear a tweed jacket and chino type trousers, although I'm not sure if that's just specific to their class or not. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in showing will be along soon to help :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Turn up looking like you were taking something in an in hand class at County level.
Definitely hat, jacket, tie and probably dark trousers with tidy boots.
Grooming kit in a neat basket or similar, or just a brush and rubber in your hand.

Some might wear a dress, not often, but it happens. The outfits that lead rein handlers wear are also fine.

Definitely not jeans, strappy tops, boobs falling out, heavens forbid!

But definitely a hat!

Last edited:

Tash88

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Would skinny black trousers be okay? And I don't have a tie - could I wear a stock, shirt and my tweed jacket? With short boots? Would my (dark navy) riding hat be ok? I haven't worn a hat for show grooming before.

Luckily the class isn't until 12ish and we're getting there early to watch a friend do the in-hand so I'll have time to do some last minute shopping!

And the wicker basket is sorted, the lady I'm grooming for has helped me teach my horse to load properly and so I bought her a nice showing basket to say thank you :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Skinny leg not the best with jodhpur boots, but if needs must, but pull the bottom of the legs of them outside the top of the boots.
Definitely not stock, better without but make sure shirt collar isn't over the jacket lapels or collar. Just have top button or 2 at most undone.
Borrow a straw hat, or a felt trilby type if you can, aim to look like the most smart grooms you saw at your last outing.

Hope you have a great time x

j1ffy

Visit site
I've no idea (never done showing!) but just wanted to say have fun and happy shopping!

Have you tried looking at clips of the class on YouTube to see if you can spot what other grooms wear?

Tash88

Visit site
Hi - thank you for the replies and sorry for the late update. Outfit-wise I was fine, managed to borrow a hat from a friend and bought a more appropriate shirt from one of the trade stands. And I didn't look out of place at all, in fact I would say I looked smarter than some of others and so probably confirmed my position as a showing newbie!

We had a lovely day and although the horse I was with wasn't placed (we aren't professionals and this is showing after all ;-)) he looked amazing and behaved beautifully, so we were very pleased with him.

And I spotted the Queen!