grooming - gypsy cob

tonkers77

Visit site
Hi I have just been introduced to pig oil and amazed! - on his legs - so my next one is what would YOU.. recomend as a mane and tail wash/conditioner that lasts?? he is a scruffy sod at best of times and never ending, but I have to say once he has had his bath he is stunning (im his mum im allowed to say that lol). Also what other grooming products do you use and why? also (sorry) how often do you bath your 4 legged friends?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
for mane and tail I use - wait for it..........pig oil and sulphur :D Makes the hair grow so quick, stops it breaking, and is a fab conditioner - I apply it along the crest, tailbone and hair every two - three weeks, brush well thru and leave.

tonkers77

Visit site
ohhh . . ok will give it a go, ive just seen you can buy it on ebay! my local horsey shop told me about it so bought it £6.99 for a ltr I paid, but it works brilliant!!!! im def a fan!! you can have it with flower sulphur as well which is great for mites, sweet itch etc etc . . so going to get that for his legs next.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Agree pig oil brill stuff!! BUT beware if using it on white legs with pink skin like my boy's got, coz some horses can be sensitive to it, especially if mixed up with sulpher, so do a patch test first.

Or you could mix it up with a splash of tee tree oil plus some neem oil, will keep the critters away hopefully, plus horsey will smell bootiful!

tonkers77

Visit site
thanks for the advice!! ive just looked up neem oil so may give it a go - with tee tree,, spelling? can you advice on mixture quantity please. Been reading posts quite a few tonight are on here about pig oil (only heard about it 2 days ago lol) and im 33! haha

**Vanner**

Visit site
Welcome to the club of 'I spend hours grooming and preening my pony yet you wouldn't know it!' - but I love it!!

There are a few products I could not live without:

ALVAdazzle, sparkle, gleam and barrier

Pig oil and sulphur

Cowboy magic greenspot remover

Bently mane and tail brush

mane bags and tail bags

various whitening shampoos - I love asorbine show white, diamond white and if all else fails purple spray mixed with fairy ;)

show white powder as a last minute thing

The list goes on ...

Horse lover BG

New User
Visit site
Joined because of this post - found it very useful thank you.

Also want to ask you gypsy cobs owners - how often do you brush manes?

I have 2 rising 2 year olds and theirs mane are like chalk and cheese -

One very thin and straight, the other very thick with a slight wave

i don't brush them out too often (specially the thinner maned one) as worried that it will thin it out too much - am i right in doing this?

Many thanks

cambrica

Visit site
Love Pig Oil. Big fan and was introduced to it many years ago at a heavy horse show. Now use it on my welshies. Ebay the cheapest.
I also love Wahl shampoo's. You can buy direct from Wahl and they have a great range. The Dirtie Beastie shampoo they do smells so good.
Cowboy Magic super show shine is great for last minute sheen and really works under indoor lights and sunshine.
My dog grooming rake is fab when the polar bear sec a's are shedding their winter coats.