Grooming, what do you do and how often??

pocket

Visit site
The post about tacking up got me thinking about grooming and what I do, so, I wondered what other people do??

I trained as a groom many years ago, so was taught to brush off, quarter and strap a horse, so, now I tend to be a bit of a grooming fiend
crazy.gif

I generally brush off first/quarter in the winter with rugs, then ride. After I've ridden, I let Ralph cool off and then strap or an adapted strap at least to remove sweat and relieve muscles.

I can never put a sweaty horse to bed ungroomed and hate to see horses in the field for days with saddle marks
crazy.gif
Even if I've competed, I have to groom before I come home
crazy.gif
Some say I have OCD, but I think its just nicer for the horse
wink.gif

What do you all do?????

sea_view

Visit site
I'm an avid groomer also - groom daily. Dandy off mud/grime, body brush rest, mane, tail, eyes/nose/bum and finish with ne of those polish mits - not forgetting hooves of course.

smile.gif

Lill

Visit site
Daily groom, as Blue is one for caking himself in mud!

Another that doesn't like sweat marks
crazy.gif

The others that don't get ridden or don't get ridden so often, Saf i am trying to do daily to get her winter coat out and prevent rainscald coming back. Merlin baby, once or twice a week he comes in for a fuss.
smile.gif

Wild girls out the back, haven't seen a brush all winter!
blush.gif

They have some pretty crazy dreadlocks in their manes now so need to hack them out at some point soon!
blush.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I groom every day (if I ride). However, if not ridden, he's left ungroomed (usually).

Like the op, I like to ensure my horse is well groomed after exercise - and agree it not only looks nice, but must be far more pleasant for the horse.

I don't groom Thumper for as long as I'd like though as he really doesn't like it. He's happier when I use a cactus cloth rather than a brush - and I think that investing in a cactus mit, with sheepskin on the other side would also be soemthing that he'd enjoy.

His tail is clean and tangle free - but I try to avoid brushing or combing it, as it's not terribly thick.

NikkiF

Visit site
Usually only groom when going to ride (usually 5 times a week), but always brush afterwards in the winter, as soon as warm enough sponge off sweaty bits.

My old retired horse is usually given a good brush once a week just because I enjoy it............she does her normal of ignoring it all, attention is all on her haynet!

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
I am a bit of a grooming freak, I have a long bristled brush to flick off the mud and hair, then I use a dry body brush all over, then dip it in water, rub it on the side of the bucket to take off the excess water, then groom with that, to lift all the dust out. I also detangle her tail with a spray, brush it out, brush her mane out and put hoof moist on her feet. I do this before riding; after Ive finished she gets a hard body brushing until Im puffed out/bored. I do take pride in seeing her looking smart and shiny and I think she's the smartest sparkliest horse on the yard!
smile.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I am afraid I am not one for grooming for groomings sake, so I pick out his feet and groom when he is ridden. If he is very muddy (dried) he will get the once over all over but otherwise I brush the saddle, girth and head area prior to tacking up!
I wipe over sweaty areas afterwards but will clean down with sponge and water if very sweaty after a pleasure ride or something. His mane and tail are very long and thick (au natrel) so they only get brushed if we are going to a pleasure ride in public, otherwise I leave them alone and keep them relatively tangle free with a spray on product.

RussianGirl

Visit site
I brush every horse, every day, whether or not they are being ridden. I think that it's important and allows you to see if the have any injuries etc and skin condition.
Full body & face brush.
Pick feet out.
Brush through mane and tail.
Get rid of any sweat marks also.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I did a post similar to this a few days ago and I think we came to the consensus that I am a bit mad.
tongue.gif

I groom very thoroughly before riding - defuzz with a grooming block, dandy brush muddy bits, brush out mane and tail, bodybrush all over, stable rubber/baby wipe to pick up any last dust, damp down mane and tail if it's flyaway, pick out feet and probably 50% of the time clean them off and put on hoof cream/grease. Eyes, nose and dock are wiped out with a sponge or fragance free baby wipes.

It's not proper grooming unless you're in a sweat halfway through the bodybrushing!
grin.gif

I haven't strapped for some time, though; I should make the effort to do that really. I tend to bodybrush after riding if she's tired or sweaty regardless.

On days she's not being ridden, I flick over with a dandy and comb shavings out of her mane and tail, sponge out dock (she quickly gets a crusty bum and ladybits otherwise!) before putting her in the field. If she's out 24/7, I'll give her a quick flick over in the field to check for bumps and scrapes, pick out feet and sponge on fly repellent.

I don't wash off legs in the winter, I think it's a cruel practice that leads to mud fever, and she only gets properly bathed a few times over the summer.

longtalltilly

Visit site
Mine get a flick off at night before bed - cant ever go to bed dirty! Gets washed off after work with warm water and then groomed once dry. And hot clothed when I have time (most evenings)
laugh.gif

tricksibell85

Visit site
blush.gif
i groom when being ridden, saddle bits or anything muddy.
If he has sweat marks i usually leave till the next day - as he totally hates these being brushed off.

He will get a full going over about once a week

longtalltilly

Visit site
Oh and I am a self confessed baby wipe freak - mines eyes and nose are done twice a day - when he gets out of bed in the morning and before he goes back to bed at night! And his dock just the once!! Also I have shares in the Lynn Russell tail spray- he gets a squirt most days!!

MontyandZoom

Visit site
I give them a groom before they are ridden. They are both out 24/7 and Zoomy loves getting mud into every orifice so I generally just do saddle and bridle area. I do clean out her eye hole though, she lost her eye and has a big crater which gets full of mud (poor pony kins!).

I groom after riding in the winter since I don't want them to be itchy under their rugs but in the summer I usually just put them straight out to have a good old roll and then deal with the aftermath the next day. I hasten to add that they are in a field with no electricity or lighting and I feed 5 horses three days a week so they only get feet picked out and a check over with the torch.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Ed doesn't get groomed every day - but groomed every time I ride.
Pick out feet first
Mane and Tail brushed through
Quick flick with a dandy and plastic curry comb.

Done.

If he's sweaty I make a wisp from hay and wisp him - otherwise our routine is very low maintenance! And may I say - he gleams!!
grin.gif

Annagain

Visit site
I only groom when I ride - a quick flick with a rubber mitten as he won't tolerate brushes. Sweaty bits get sponged down after riding when it's warm enough, he's full clipped in the winter so is rarely sweaty then but I rub them down with a towel if he is and then deal with anything left the next day. I think too much brushing can do more harm than good. There's a reason why horses roll, and it's not just because they like it, the mud helps to keep them warm in winter and can protect from the sun in the summer. I know most have rugs these days but they always have exposed areas. Although I don't groom every day I take his rugs off every day and have a thorough check over him.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
She only really gets groomed when I ride, which is everyday during the hols and 4-5 times a week otherwise. My routine is- brush mane, and tail is I can be bothered, so not that often cos it isn't very thick either, then dandy brush on legs to get muddy bits off, feet picked, body brush all over and cactus/sheepskin mitt on face. Done
smile.gif

If shes molting (sp?!) and I'm having a really good grooming sesh, I'll rubber curry her bum to get all the hair out, then body brush.

I use a plastic curry to get sweaty marks off.
smile.gif