Ground work for youngsters

CeeTee.

Visit site
I have recently bought a young cob and he is still a bit immature in his body for me to break.

What groundwork exercises does anyone do with unbroken horses? I need some inspiration!

Littlebear

Visit site
I have only just started with mine about 6 weeks ago and he has had full tack on and done some in hand work just walking around the ménage around me, stop start and learning to yield away when i ask. We have done a few sessions long reining (you really need a second person the first go or 2 with that) we have done some walks in hand to see some traffic and taught to loose lunge just in walk to stop and start and change direction with the tack on.
We also have walked in hand around the yards very basic cross country course, walked over logs, poles and up and down the bank etc.
Over the next few weeks months i am aiming to develop control and confidence in the long reining with the tack on and do some small arena outings.

fredflop

Visit site
There are plenty of trainers that offer online courses. I’d sign up for one of those, should give you a list of exercises to do.

best sticking to one trainer rather than trying to mix and match off free videos on YouTube

Lyle

Visit site
Agree with Fredflop, there are lots of different variations of groundwork, with different methods, however most have the same basic principles. Do some research, and find a method that sits well with you. For me, I like the simplest, easiest to understand methods so I can apply them with confidence to ensure it’s very black and white to the horse. Be prepared to shake up any perceptions of groundwork that you might have. For me, i went with a rather ‘western’ method, but I couldn’t be happier with the results. I’ve applied it on a variety of young welsh ds from 6mo to ready to start under saddle, and taken one on that step. I’ve adapted the training method to suit the age of the horses I work with (such as intensity, length and frequency of sessions and expectation of how much they complete the exercise), however the application stays the same so as the horse grows I build on what they know. Groundwork is incredible when you do it properly, my just backed horse is incredible to work with on the ground, its like a another language.

fredflop

Visit site
I’d also suggest choosing a trainer that has some form of Internet forum/Facebook page. (Either official or unofficial.)

I have used the same groundwork programme on a few horses, and they all react slightly differently. Having the “backup” of talking to other users of the same methods will help you to figure out your horse

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I do obstacle courses and Le Trec type stuff with my boy. Also desensitising with tarps and bags. He will be trained to be long lined over the winter so he can spend his third year walking out in long lines instead of inhand and be backed spring off his 4th year.

Lyle

Visit site
Thanks both. There is LOTS of content from the USA. I might have a look at some of those
I find The western methods really focus on building a foundation that teaches the horse to really think, stay calm and respond to a variety of pressures. After the horses have learnt and become established in the concepts, things like presenting them with obstacles, long reining, float loading etc just becomes easy.