Ground work to do with horse whilst I'm broken?!

xgemmax

Visit site
On Tuesday I fell off and have fractured my shoulder blade so I'm off riding for at least 6 weeks (wahhh!) so need some ideas of what I can do with the little sodbag(!) in the meantime to keep him slightly entertained as he doesn't do well with time off, as I found out the other day after a week!!

I've managed to lunge one armed and had my friend rode yesterday but want some ideas of ways of exercising him in hand? Bare in mind I only have one working arm so must be simple ;) And preferably things I can do in the school/yard as he's not really the type I can take on walks round the lanes without him pulling me around unfortunately!

Already looking for a sharer for him but obviously proving tricky to find someone confident with him after me saying he's bronked me off and broken my shoulder lol :eek:

Thanks in advance :)

happyclappy

Visit site
oh dear. it is now 6 weeks since i partd company from my trusty steed and fractured my pelvis. my girl has nt been worked sadly, and now i am close to riding again she has gone lame!

i hpe your shoulder heals quickly.

WindyStacks

Visit site
Manners.

The fact your horse pulls when you're out for a walk indicates it's time (and you have it!) to look at these.

Start with basic join-up, skip a stride side-to-side with your back to the horse until it copies. Lungeing to voice, semi-circle lunge (you at wall), movement of horse by hand-signals, backing up through parallel l-shaped poles. Limitless possibilities!

xgemmax

Visit site
Thanks for the ideas :) not sure I explained his sillyness walking in hand very well, he is usually well mannered but he can be spooky and throw himself around if he sees something move out the corner of his eye, silly thing! Will work on the above :) lunging to voice commands he does well (thankfully!!) but some good ideas of other stuff to try

And happyclappy that's so unfortunate! Hope you and your horse recover quickly too! :(