Growing out hogged mane and feathers

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

Has anyone grown out a hogged mane and clipped feathers. How long did it take to look reasonable? Any advice and pictures would be great. Also any tips on keeping feathers in good condition and mite free would be appreciated

I have a lovely hogged and clipped out cob but he is very bad to clip his legs. We have got to the stage where we are thinking of just letting the feathers grow and if we do that we should really grow his mane too.

I'm not bothered about showing him but do jump and do dressage up to Novice affiliated so am a bit worried about keeping him smart enough to compete.

Thanks
Tegan

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Am probably not gonna be much help.

I clipped my boy just before Christmas; we did the whole works, feathers, mane hogged the lot. Typically it got very cold just after, my poor lad!

I made the decision to grow his mane; at the mo we've got to that difficult stage where its got a mind of its own! So you need to persevere through the first two to three months where it sticks up and looks absolutely awful, THEN you can see what you've got and the whole thing is a lot more easy to deal with.

My boy has got sweet itch which is why we always hogged him; but this year we thought what the heck, lets see if we can grow his mane - but if he does get hot under his sweet-itch rug we still might hog him again, have to see what happens.

I'm gonna keep his feathers trim; I don't want him getting a problem with feather mite so its so much easier to have nice clean heels, especially in the winter.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
about a year maybe a little longer. you will have to wash and plait mane over frequently to train it to lie to the right. feathers will just grow out. you will have to go through the tatty unlooked after look for a few months. as for keeping mite free i would suggest you talk to your vet. dextomax injections (first , then second 2 weeks later) will keep mite free for approx 6 months (and you can miss a worming out) then repeat injections. the amount of hair he has wont affect his sj, might influence his d marks (dependant on the judge). full hair in winter with mud can be a nightmare if you like the clean look. if you can cope with the full mud, dreadlocks on heels only ever cleaned when going somewhere, then you will be fine.

maxapple

Visit site
I have tried to grow my pony's mane for the past two winters. I get to this stage after about 3 or 4 months when he has a ridiculous looking mohican, realise there is no way we can do shows looking like that, then chop it off again!!

Probably not a bad thing as he has sweetitch and his mane gets really itchy anyway.

30589_436822566202_662876202_6202791_222198_n.jpg

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

He already has the dectomax injections. I guess we can give it a try and just clip if it doesn't work out.

The other option is to grow the feathers but hog the mane as he doesn't mind having his mane done. Has any one done this. Have you got any pictures?

Thanks
Tegan