Grr, missed vaccination by 1 day due to virus, and got to start all over again.

Cobsndogs

Visit site
Just flu vac, have been having the conversation with the practice this afternoon, and they were insistant that he starts over, even though the original vet who came out for virus said it would be okay and just to try and get as close as possible.

polly1976

Visit site
Sounds like vets trying to get more money out of people to me??
1 day is not the end of the world. As others have suggested. Check BVA site.

Thistle

Visit site
If you are worried about him being protected then he will be OK with missing a day.

However if you intend to compete, especially Riding Club stuff then you will have to start again.

quirky

Visit site
If you are worried about him being protected then he will be OK with missing a day.

However if you intend to compete, especially Riding Club stuff then you will have to start again.

^^^ This.
Been there, didn't bother re-starting as I knew I would never need to prove it.

Cobsndogs

Visit site

Thistle, thats another thought. My friend (on same yard) has decided to take him on loan from end of this week, and wanted to affiliate him with BD straight away, so don't know how it works with that. We have always done riding club stuff with him, but then his vacs were always in date until today !

Ella19

Visit site
if she wants to do BD then he will need to start the course again. If he is going to be a happy hack and not a competition horse at riding club level or above then you can have him vaccinated as normal and he will be protected. Unfortunately they have to have a cut off date somewhere.

glenruby

Visit site
Its not nonsense, its the rules. It is a requirement of the BRC, PC and most affiliated bodies that affiliated horses are fully vaccinated. They have set the dates as 365days. If you do not compete nor have any intentions to do so in the future then having your horse vaccinated 1-2days+++ after the due date is fine - your choice. Tetanus is a whole other ball game - there is no requirement to have your horse tetanus vaccinated however it is the most likely of the 2 disease to ause major problems in any unvaccinated horse so would be foolish (and imo negligent) not to.
If your vet were to backdate your passport he/she would be risking his/her career (one of the worse offences in vet med is false certification). It would be very unfair to ask/expect someone to do so.

mcnaughty

Visit site
One day is not going to cause an issue - however, if you want to do some affiliated comps or riding club teams then you will not be able to due to this.

Really depends on what you want to do with your boy.

Ah just read the above - absolutely that.

blood_magik

Visit site
mine missed the 3rd part of his equine flu last year because the vet had an emergency call and he had to start again. annoying, but there's not a lot that can be done about it.

personally, i'd rather start again so he's definitely covered.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Understand that for horses in competition, rules are black and white, fair enough, but for horses that are not, then it seems unfair to make a horse go through the whole series of jabs for being a day late.
Current vet practice will not give the booster if its a day late, which is ridiculous for some horses. Former vet was much more sensible and was happy to allow a day or two's grace.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Understand that for horses in competition, rules are black and white, fair enough, but for horses that are not, then it seems unfair to make a horse go through the whole series of jabs for being a day late.
Current vet practice will not give the booster if its a day late, which is ridiculous for some horses. Former vet was much more sensible and was happy to allow a day or two's grace.

I wouldn't be shouting about that. Any vet will vaccinate your horse the day after it is due, but will record it as first in series and you will have to start again...

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It is a real shame, and very annoying, but I'd definately get it done.

Not only for RC or affiliated comps, but also certain venues for things like pony club camp etc insist on the right documetation. It would be a shame to miss out on anything because you didn't start again...

I've seen quite a few people on riding club teams ejected from a team because BRC wouldn't accept their late injections - even from years before.

Baileyhoss

Visit site
I had to restart due to the leap year, which put b's annual booster at 366 days!. I was so annoyed with myself, because i never normally leave it to the day to get it done, but had on this occasion for some reason!.

Would rather restart the course asap, than get all the way to a competition venue, possibly as part of a team and then be sent home again when they checked his passport.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Don't any of you fill in a new diary with important dates like boosters due, would stop all this panic?
Or if you use Firefox, download Reminder Fox, it sits on the taskbar and pops up when things are due (as long as you've filed them of course!) wouldn't be without it.