Grumpy filly

flutini

Visit site
I've a 10month old warmblood filly she's my absolute dream (well bred palomino I put her on deposit at 3 days old! )come true but she has quite a temper when things don't go her way last night my friends teenager was trying to trot her up in the school (not new to her but she's discovered the gate!) and she reared up and caught her cracking her hat when i took over and rearing failed her she tried to Bend her back end round and was fly kicking at me again failed (I had my instructor behind her by this point) so as a final resort she tried to nip but we did get there and apart from grumpy faces she was good today she's lead for any tantrums in a rope halter and I carry a school whip I've been advised she's got a bit of a bad side so I should consider getting out now as it's something I won't change but surely even with attitude my Tb mare has plenty she just needs to learn ?? (same words were muttered by my boss 6 years ago! When I bought her I obviously have a things for mares with attitude!)
She's my first youngster though I've previously groomed but Finding it's Different being your own. She's a sweetheart in the stable you can do anything with her she's loves being groomed and fussed ! She's already been out with me inhand late last year so travels ties up ect both my vet and farrier have passed comment on what a good girl she is comes to call in feild not much spooks her she's quite confident and very bright !
it's just the explosive tantrums I don't tit bit Hera good scratch is enough reward for her unfortunately she's only out a few hours a day with my mare she'll be out full time from April is she bored though she's a huge stable with lots of toys and can interact easily with my mare over her wall
Am I worrying over nothing

NellRosk

Visit site
I would say she needs to be out more and with others her own age for her to play with and interact with, she sounds frustrated and like she has pent up energy. But that's just my (unqualified) opinion.

Eta I think you could be doing too much with her, at 10 months old you just want to teach the basics, simple leading and feet picking up. I would not say she wants 'grooming and fussing' as you put it!

flirtygerty

Visit site
Don't like to worry you but, my 20+yr old WB mare is still an opinionated tart,knows her own mind and despite being normally well mannered, will cow kick if she thinks you are being unfair, my Oh found a random spur and touched her with it, she kicked out at him, she was taking her time loading and my OH used a broom on her bum and she quite rightly kicked out at him, but we were moving house and he was stressed, I put her back in the field and loaded the young cob, on the second trip she loaded first time, I do like a horse with attitude

flutini

Visit site
I'm unfortunatly not in a position to offer her alternative grazing arrangements or companions this is a very common turnout setup for this area as the ground gets very so wet my Tb is 24 and has followed this routine most of her life but by now is rather bouncy :( but obviously if this is the problem she will be back living out in spring
I have considered I'm asking a lot of her for so young Maybe grooming and fussing is a bit misleading I have 3 horses to do some days and work full time so it's more a flick with a brush and check her over more to stress just how sweet she is in the stable. she was bought with the idea to do sport horse breeding classes as a yearling she's is a clever little girl she's loves walking round the lanes on the farm my Tb is 24 she's full of attitude and some very quirky habits even now but despite the problems that have come with her temper I wouldn't change her for the world when you get horses like that on side they are wonderful (or I'm insane?!?)

Alec Swan

Visit site
There's being 'opinionated' and then there's being dangerous and lacking in manners. The former can often be desirable, but the latter is in need of correction. No ill mannered and spiteful horse changes it's mind of it's own free will.

Alec.

madlady

Visit site
I'd say you may need to do a bit more with her given that you are on limited turn out.

If she were mine she would have got a real telling - and probably a smack or 2 for pulling a stunt like that. I currently have 2 homebred 6yo friesians who both have manners to burn - they were taught the basics of leading, handling, groundwork, feet, tieing up nicely etc etc in the 6 months from being weaned to yearlings - I knew that they were going to be big powerful animals and I'd rather them learn what is expected manners wise as babies than trying to start from scratch with a bolsh 2yo.

We did have a few hiccups - the filly tried cow kicking a few times but she soon got to know that the more she stropped the worse it was for her (as in we would carry on until she stopped stropping), and the colt kept wanting to stand on his back legs but by the time they were yearlings they both had good manners.

flutini

Visit site
This in some of the problem she's had a good telling and comes back fighting it's a bit more than a few rears and bucks unfortunatly she's been round the lanes today good as gold and perfectly happy she enjoys learning tasks such as loading or any things she's got to use her mind a bit or anywhere new but take her in the school to walk round she's bored within 5 minuets ears go back and then the tantrum happens I appreciate she's a baby I've been advised to get her a bit more on side and make it a bit more interesting and perhaps this will improve the attitude

Rollin

Visit site
Personally, unless you plan to show her in hand as a yearling, I don't know why this is so important. Non of my yearlings are expected to do more than lead in and out of stable/field stand to be brushed, rugged have their feet trimmed.

When we start our Cleveland Bays we back and hack then take them to school. Some horses respond much better to 'school' when they have had some fun.

flutini

Visit site
We are planning to take her out inhand I understand why she's doing it but even putting showing aside what if she takes the same dislike to something she passes leading to feild x