Grumpy mare in stable

debsflo

Visit site
Grumpy mare in stable
Advice please on how i can help my mare feel happy and be less grumpy in the stable.
Background info shes 7 ,Irish sport horse ,kept at livery and had her 2 years
Likes her own space ,tolerates others but ideally would have no direct contact although prob ok with a horse that wont react to face pulling.
Being treated for ulcers and just started Regumate as has very bad seasons which may be cause of ulcers,not sure as yet.
Was initially next to a placid gelding who ignored her face pulling ,she was irritable but he just ignored her.
Had to move due to livery changes and stabled next to another young dominant mare and they both ended up double barrelling the brick wall so ive asked to move her for safety sake.
Only other stable available is in a corner which means i can make it nice and private on all sides but the horse next to her is also hormonal and pulls faces which mine feels threatened by so reacts and threatens to kick the walls.
I have put kick pad up but hate to think of her either feeling totally stressed every time she puts her head out or of putting a full grill in and her not being able to look out.
The livery yard is trying hard to accomodate me and im hoping they will settle and mine will learn to be more tolerant but after any other ideas or solutions pls.
In an ideal world she would be in a stable with no one near her as not v sociable at all really.
Few yards locally so not just an option to move as most have barn type stables with grills inbetween which she hates.

be positive

Visit site
Is there any way of putting up a partial screen or having a weaving grill so she can look out but the bars are covered so she can hide if she wants to, mares often hate being seen by other horses and are easily wound up if they get a reaction, it's a shame she cannot go back next to the gelding she got on ok with, the other thing to try is moving her hay to a different place as it may be part of the issue that she is protecting it and feed well inside so the others cannot see her eating.

claret09

Visit site
so sorry you are having issues. how long has she been on regimate? My boy can be difficult over the stable door although he has improved massively as he has got older. a friend of mine has her mare on regimate and she has improved hugely she still exchanges faces at my boy over the door but she has definitely calmed down.

debsflo

Visit site
I've ordered a stable curtain so she has privacy along the wall.
I can get an infill for her door but feel sad if she can't look out.
Hay is away on other side of stable.
The other mare is 26 and pulls faces at everyone but doesn't kick etc so hoping mine will learn not to react.
Other mares owner says her horse usually settles after a couple of weeks.
I think if I can sort this she is tucked away as hates having horses both sides of her.
With the other mare they were just making each other worse.
Most yards have similar stalling in open barns so not wanting to move her.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Ive just caught up with your post debsflo - my daughters mare is a grump in her stable because she likes her privacy. She pulls faces and with some folk who react badly she will try to bite...now we were on a yard of 20 in a barn with constant busy atmosphere..I put screens up on both sides of her (mares on both sides) but she was getting where she d kick the partitions if she thought her neighbours were watching her eat. We moved to a smaller yard (8 horses) a month or so ago and although mare pulls the odd face she doesnt try to bite over the door and she hasnt kicked the walls as her neighbours cannot see her hay nets or her feed. She appears to be protective of "her space" but is great out side it - totally chilled. So I guess Im saying give her privacy if possible...