Grumpy to tack

Ceriann

Visit site
Mare has had to deal with a lot over last 6 months.She suffered an injury in November (medial branch suspensory left hind).Injury wasnt diagnosed for a couple of months but didnt ride post initial issue. Treated initially as soft tissue injury to back.Shes never been grumpy to tack and im always v careful girthing.She started to take offence to back massage pad (used pre diagnosis) making faces when i clipped it up (week or two into using it). I stopped using it.Diagnosis changed focus and been rehabbing and taken her bfoot. At 6 week scan, positive news meant i started to think about tacking her - she was grumpy having pad put on, never mind saddle.So assumed ulcers (not scoped) and now been treated for 4 weeks (ranitidine).During treatment ive been tacking up and walking her with saddle (girth looseish).Shes much better (and is generally ok girthing) but still far from right and made a proper face this evening when i ran hand down inside of saddle (gently).Ideas? Im due to have saddle checked and get back on next week (now at point we can start slow intro back to ridden work) but worried shes not ready.Could this be a case of remembered pain, saddle not fitting being uncomfortable (i only walk her in it and girth only ever loose)?Diagnosis ruled out back issues so its not that.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If she has had time off saddle could need looking at but 4 weeks on ulcer treatment is not long they could still be painful, I personally would not ride until I knew the ulcers had completely gone.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
If she has had time off saddle could need looking at but 4 weeks on ulcer treatment is not long they could still be painful, I personally would not ride until I knew the ulcers had completely gone.
Agree with this. Also worth giving something for the hind gut.

Ceriann

Visit site
She’s reacted to various things put on her back - massage pad, saddle, roller, saddle pad. So unlikely to be saddle itself. SHes now fine having these put on. She’s on half dose for two weeks now and then quarter dose. Time is not an issue as rehab will be very slow

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I’m looking at a supplement to help with this and soothe tummy - she’s on pro hoof and ranitidine tablets so was wary of trying to feed her something else.

A gut supplement will be fine to feed alongside what she is already having, I have used Easigut from natural horse supplies although it wasn't for ulcers his just sensitive but it is recommended for ulcer prone horses.

Wheels

Visit site
Could there be another issue in one of the limbs or is she still lame from the suspensory issue? (Why did it take so long to diagnose? Could she be bilaterally lame?)

What you are describing is a pain response but not necessarily ulcers. I had a horse present similar symptoms and I was convinced it was ulcers but scope showed no signs and it turned out to be something else. I really dislike the idea of medicating a horse with ulcer drugs (or any drugs for that matter) without knowing what is wrong. You might be supplementing and medicating for no reason and you may end up a few months in and getting nowhere with a horse still in pain.

I personally would be going back to the vet for more investigations, a lot of back muscle issues (including around the ribcage and chest) come from lameness in one or more limbs

SamBean

Visit site
I'd be looking to see if it was something else or get ulcers properly diagnosed, I had back xrays on mine after not letting physio near him followed by a soundness check by my vet. The physio was supposed to have been a treat for him as his new saddle was due. After xrays were clear (suspected KS) we scoped him and had got grade 3 ulcers. Just started treatment with a rescope due in a few weeks. I've been advised to bring back into work 7-10 days after starting meds as my feedback on how he goes will help.

Ceriann

Visit site
Could there be another issue in one of the limbs or is she still lame from the suspensory issue? (Why did it take so long to diagnose? Could she be bilaterally lame?)

What you are describing is a pain response but not necessarily ulcers. I had a horse present similar symptoms and I was convinced it was ulcers but scope showed no signs and it turned out to be something else. I really dislike the idea of medicating a horse with ulcer drugs (or any drugs for that matter) without knowing what is wrong. You might be supplementing and medicating for no reason and you may end up a few months in and getting nowhere with a horse still in pain.

I personally would be going back to the vet for more investigations, a lot of back muscle issues (including around the ribcage and chest) come from lameness in one or more limbs
She had a very full work up at Leahurst in March. Bone scan (showed low grade hot spot in SI - no back or other limb issues), supporting x rays, blocking of hinds and scans, x rays of feet. She really has had the works. Diagnosis was medial branch injury in left hind and mild psd in left fore - both being rehabbed well (last scan was 10 days ago). Feet were considered a potential contributory factor so rehabing feet. I did ride her a couple of times post initial injury (after time off and to help diagnose) and she was fine (no grumpiness). The grumpiness started weeks post injury (pre full diagnosis) a couple of weeks into using back pad. I assumed she didnt like it but also contemplated ulcers. Continued presentation witg injury healing well suggested ulcers so treated for that. The disgnostic process has been pretty full other than not scoping. Shes also had regular physio.

Ceriann

Visit site
I'd be looking to see if it was something else or get ulcers properly diagnosed, I had back xrays on mine after not letting physio near him followed by a soundness check by my vet. The physio was supposed to have been a treat for him as his new saddle was due. After xrays were clear (suspected KS) we scoped him and had got grade 3 ulcers. Just started treatment with a rescope due in a few weeks. I've been advised to bring back into work 7-10 days after starting meds as my feedback on how he goes will help.
Scoping is my next option given everything weve looked at. I treated without with vet support as the diagnostic worl to date has been so expensibe (not insured). Shes had pretty much everything checked bar a scope.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I really wouldn't be jumping to think there's another issue, definitely with the workup you've had and the rehabbing you're doing. You've
seen an improvement so you can be confident the ulcers medication is working, it's just early days. For the sake of £30-40 I'd pop her on something for the hindgut.

Ceriann

Visit site
I really wouldn't be jumping to think there's another issue, definitely with the workup you've had and the rehabbing you're doing. You've
seen an improvement so you can be confident the ulcers medication is working, it's just early days. For the sake of £30-40 I'd pop her on something for the hindgut.
I had planned to start weaning off but will stay on full dose for longer. I would add shes less spooky to walk out (shes a looky but not spooky horse normally) and her coat is looking better since shes been on ulcers meds. Vet was very happy with her rehab progress generally. Will look at a supplement and keep monitoring. I wont get back on until she gives me a clear green light.

flying_high

Visit site
I think sometimes with girthiness there is a pain memory issue too. One way to test this is to get someone to distract her with nice treats while you put stuff on her back and do up girth. If she stops reacting, is more likely to be anticipated pain, that actual pain. Can play about with this, and decide if is a real flinch or expecting it to hurt flinch.

Ceriann

Visit site
I think sometimes with girthiness there is a pain memory issue too. One way to test this is to get someone to distract her with nice treats while you put stuff on her back and do up girth. If she stops reacting, is more likely to be anticipated pain, that actual pain. Can play about with this, and decide if is a real flinch or expecting it to hurt flinch.
We do lots of treats and this has helped the progress. Last couple of times a lick has resulted in no reaction. Yesterday tacked up, girthed, did holes up on both sides fine no reaction. Ran hand down inside of saddle to girth and she swung round v clearly unhappy. She then went back to the lick and let me tighten girth (left her a little before i did). When we started she hated saddle pad on, reacted to roller and even weigh tape - shes much improved but not 100%. Ulcers woukd make sense, shes suffered an injury, been away to hospital, box rested etc - all a lot for her to deal with.

Ceriann

Visit site
So 5 days of back to full dose ranitidine (will continue for a further 3 weeks and start weaning off if all good) and pro GI to soothe tummy (i will change to protexin but bought GI as already ordering pro hoof) - saddled up (with lick to distract) couple of times over weekend and she didnt blink. Did the hand down saddle etc (as last time - which got the reaction) and totally relaxed. So continued improvement. Saddler moved check to Thursday (no biggie given progress) - we’ll get back in once we’ve got an established and consistent no reaction. Super pleased with her.