GSD pup... he has arrived! (Pics)

SadKen

Visit site
So we picked Hector up last week and he's been running us all ragged since then.

He's actually a very good boy. Sleeps through the night except for one night where I think he was cold. Asks to go out to toilet. Very cute.

He's also a tiny tyrant and we are having to be quite firm with him as he wants to be the boss! His big brother is far too soft with him.

My OH is utterly besotted and also far too soft so I am now the disciplinarian.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG
We are all tired of being mouthed so I hope the distraction technique of shoving a toy in his gob instead will pay off over the next few weeks!

SadKen

Visit site
He's 9 weeks now FF - he'll be 10 weeks on Friday and off for his 2nd jabs, so we can get him out walking etc. He's met... well, everyone we know, as they all came round to see him which he took in his stride, being neither particularly interested in or frightened by visitors.

He is a little frightened of the hoover but only to the point he waits behind me. He takes more interest watching folks outside the boundary than my older boy so I think he'll be a better guard dog... although if present experience is a guide, his recall is going to be awful!

The only downside is that I don't like being tough with him (and I've had to be really quite tough, because I'm not having a 9 week old pup tell me what I can and can't do!). He doesn't seem to mind too much though!

SadKen

Visit site
Gosh, ears well up for that age! Sounds like he's a little horror at present, yes - it won't hurt being firm on noxious deeds!

Yeah they were up like this at 7 weeks :O one of only two in the litter who had popped up, and now there are only 4 out of 10 that have ears up.

The breeder gave us a choice of 2, on the basis that we've had GSDs before - so he is one of the two more, er, tenacious types in the litter!

SadKen

Visit site
It's easier to have a row with a nine week old than an 18 month old...

:D I keep telling myself that and I've been strongly insistent. He's even had a smack or two for growling at me, which has resulted in an instant increase in respect and better behaviour. I just keep the guilt about it for on here :D

MurphysMinder

Visit site
He is lovely, and looks like he has settled well. Don't feel guilty about being firm with him, ground rules need to be laid down now. I honestly think that the reason so many people seem to be struggling with adolescent dogs is because they are too fluffy with them as pups. I am all for positive training but they need to learn no means no.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
:D I keep telling myself that and I've been strongly insistent. He's even had a smack or two for growling at me, which has resulted in an instant increase in respect and better behaviour. I just keep the guilt about it for on here :D

Just remember what his mum would do if he growled at her! And wait for somebody to come along and tell you to say 'Ow' instead:rolleyes:

Aren't those ears gorgeous!

SusieT

Visit site
smacking the dog for growling at you is your failure not his. Ignoring growling, ending the game, time out - all appropriate. Smacking will either achieve nothing or teach him not to growl just go to the next stage which is likely to be teeth. There is nothing worse than hearing about 'being tough' being physical punshiment because owners have lost their temper when 'being tough' should be setting boundaries by having a routine and taking the fun out of the game when it becomes too much. Poor pup.

{97702}

Visit site
Just remember what his mum would do if he growled at her! And wait for somebody to come along and tell you to say 'Ow' instead:rolleyes:

Aren't those ears gorgeous!

Oh my goodness you are psychic! Well done! 🙄 😊

CC and MM are the most experienced GSD owners on this forum. I know who’s opinion I would trust where training a GSD puppy is concerned.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Funsponge alert.

The OP's previous two dogs seemed to have reached a ripe old age without savaging her or crumbling so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
For me there is nothing worse than an adolescent dog having to be rehomed or PTS because someone believed the lie that firmly telling a bolshy puppy to knock it off would shatter it into a million pieces.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh my goodness you are psychic! Well done! 🙄 😊

CC and MM are the most experienced GSD owners on this forum. I know who’s opinion I would trust where training a GSD puppy is concerned.

I'm just surprised that there's only been one (so far). That poster must have missed where OP said 'resulted in an increase in respect and better behaviour'.:D

SadKen

Visit site
Thanks folks!

I will stress that I have NOT lost my temper with pup at any point. Nor will I.

I began with redirection and time out, withdrawal of attention etc. However this pup is very strong minded and those actions made zero difference. I am absolutely in agreement with CC when it comes to the potential risks of not squashing the bossiness out of him whilst he is young. So there have been several disagreements today as I also won't let him continuously pester my older dog who is endlessly patient but may have a limit I don't want to find.

Yes I feel awful that I can't cuddle the little monster out of his tyrannical behaviour but I do keep reassuring myself that we will all be better for it in the long run.

As i say he isn't holding it against me so far!

I appreciate there are different opinions on this subject but I fully intend to continue reinforcing discipline as I feel it will be better for him and us in the long term.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a smasher..:).... it depends on the dog whether they need a bit more telling off. my border collie has never been touched harshly or shouted at, she almost knows what she should and shouldnt do just with a look. my terrier ,however, needs telling time and time again until he eventually stops the bad behaviour. when he was young he growled at me and went to bite. i scruffed him, and said no biting but he carried on growling so i escalated to giving him a shake(not to hurt him) the same as mum would have done. he has never growled or tried to bite again. so its horse for courses, scruffing prob not as easy with a big puppy but worked for my little devil...

Chiffy

Visit site
What an adorable pup. So glad you have him at last.
It’s amazing how strict you need to be with young puppies, they have no idea what is acceptable and what is not unless you show them. Flatcoats are the softest natured dogs but are all teeth for a short while as pups. Sounds as if you are doing great.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh wow - Hector is gorgeous! So glad you got another GSD after the loss of your old boy.

My terror attacked the hoover initially but has thankfully learned better manners now (at six months). I have had GSDs for over 25 years and many definitely do push the boundaries and need firm but fair guidelines when growing up. Not all, as one of my bitches was extremely biddable and would have been beside herself if I had been overly firm with her. The young thug I have now (who does have some hard and serious dogs in his pedigree) does push his luck with the older dogs and as they are often too polite to tell him, then I do. I don't smack or shout, but will grip loose skin at the back of his neck and growl at him when he goes too far. Lots of problems can be avoided by preventing them happening in the first place - redirection, management etc but sometimes you do have to step in and take control of the situation.

Look forward to seeing more pics.