GSP puppy pics

galaxy

Visit site
After months of planning we finally picked up our new GSP puppy last Friday. His mum is half sister to our current 5 year old.

Meet Finley

At 6.5 weeks when we chose
C9BCDA7E-EF8C-467C-BD59-2C113EAC4F59_zpsoeszwe5r.jpg

First day home just over 8 weeks
97B5557A-63A9-4AA4-A35B-9740FA40DB9F_zpsvdq8moqe.jpg

My big boy Harley showing him around

73266622-3EA1-4E7D-9429-D60361562319_zpsivtlcmi9.jpg

Having fun and chilling

AE014914-2546-4738-AE2E-BF3C8C899EE7_zps7nvni6xw.jpg

C7753094-81A3-4BA9-AB45-AAB6183AEEDD_zpsg9mckq0v.jpg

npage123

Visit site
Oh wow, adorable puppy and it looks as if big brother is being very sweet. More and more pics please!!

galaxy

Visit site
Thanks guys

BS no I don't really have any plans to work him. However I won't rule it out. I do agility with my other boy because he loves it, but never worked him as he'd be useless. This pups mums side all work well. May well give it a go if he enjoys it.

galaxy

Visit site
Beautiful! I thought you had mis-spelled GSD!!
What is GSP? German shorthair pointer? Really gorgeous little chap :)

Ha ha! I'm sure you weren't the only one. And you are 100% correct

Oooooh Finlay is super sweet! Lovely pair of boys - I can't believe Harley is 5, I remember your puppy photos of him! :biggrin3:

Harley is 6 in September! Time flies!

Oh boy, I love him! I could seriously be persuaded to pointers!

We should meet up at some point, we've said it before! Lol! If you just shave your boys they will look like short, chunky gsps!! Ha ha ha!

Venevidivici

Visit site
Don't come on HHO often anymore but logged in just to say he's gorgeous, Galaxy. :)
I'm a sucker for GSPs,they are such handsome dogs. I hope you have great fun with him and I bet they're going to be best pals-all of ours have absolutely loved each other and bonded very sweetly,without issues-as a breed,they're very much lovers,not fighters,ime!

Dry Rot

Visit site
A nice pup! It is never too early to start training. Or rather giving them the opportunity to teach themselves. Teach the 'Sit" now. Make him "Sit" before getting his food or a treat. You can teach pointing with a fishing rod and a small piece of plastic on the end of the line. He'll try to catch it. When he moves, flick it out of the way. As he tires, he will begin to stalk, then point. Just remember it is pointing 'by eye' and you'll need to change tactics to get him to point by scent later on. And, yes, I have had them hunting and pointing game (tame quail) at not much older than this.

gunnergundog

Visit site
A nice pup! It is never too early to start training giving them the opportunity to teach themselves. Teach the 'Sit" now. Make him "Sit" before getting his food or a treat. You can teach pointing with a fishing rod and a small piece of plastic on the end of the line. He'll try to catch it. When he moves, flick it out of the way. As he tires, he will begin to stalk, then point. Just remember it is pointing 'by eye' and you'll need to change tactics to get him to point by scent later on. And, yes, I have had them hunting and pointing game (tame quail) at not much older than this.

A lunge whip can serve the same purpose as the fishing rod mentioned above and am guessing you are more likely to have one of those! :) Also, I use a small wing normally instead of plastic.

galaxy

Visit site
Training coming on really well. Like my last boy, he's so clever he picks it up really fast. Within a day we had 'sit' pretty much whenever required. 'Down' is getting there. 'Drop' and 'off' had to be taught pretty fast as he's a monkey!!! Lol! He's walking beautifully to heel on a loose leaf all around the house. He's been so easy to crate train too.

His breeder told me about how to teach the point like you described. I'm not sure is I'll work him. I doubt it as it doesn't really interest me. my older boy is active and happy with his walks and agility so little one will hopefully slot in.