Gt Witchingham?

meardsall_millie

Visit site
That does not sound good and I have a long drive.

I kind of get the feeling that they will try and run regardless and I would rather not jump out of bottomless mud :-(

Exactly this.

I know we're all desperate for a run - but for this particular horse it has to be the right run.

Unless I'm told the ground is good by those who are there on Saturday, I'm afraid I will be withdrawing :(

Louise_88

Visit site
I feel the same as Horsemad12 - it's a 3 hour drive for us and mine doesn't particularly jump well in wet ground, let alone if it's a bog.

Bearsmum

Visit site
I think we are in the lap of the rain Gods here. There have been some heavy showers today but they are very localised so might have missed the course - although they got me at lunch time!

I'm jump judging if all goes ahead so will happily post some pictures Saturday night to try and give an idea of how the going is, I suspect the SJ arena might be a bit tricky.

Let's hope for warm drying breezes!

JD

tilly_monster

Visit site
It will be very unlikely I'll want to run, I'm one of the last to go in the BE 90 on a horse that finds it hard to stand up on good going

Trolt

Visit site
Quote from their facebook page, at about 1.50pm:

at the min still defo full steam ahead!! T.A. checked course and said its all looking fab so lets pray mother nature is kind to us

The bigger concern for me, is how the SJing will hold :/

Bearsmum

Visit site
Sunny and lovely - but more rain forecast for tomorrow.

Will walk little dog tonight and 'depth' test the water!

gracemoran

Visit site
Bearsmum - Think you shouLd take picture of said dog and nominate him/her for "volunteer of the year" at BE for going above and beyong the call of duty :) All these walks just to swim in the water jump. I fear they are not going to look forward to their walk till Monday. LOL

Gamebird

Visit site
If it does run I've be able to give you a depth reading in both 'Terrier' and 'Labrador'. I think that 'Spaniel' sits somewhere in the middle :)

Bearsmum

Visit site
Just been for a walk round and the course seems to have missed the worst of yesterdays heavy rain, with the sun and a breeze today everything is looking OK. Just hope the rain holds off tomorrow.

As for the water jump, well still no further up a spaniel and LB is very small for her breed!

IMG_8865.jpg

Lolo

Visit site
It's pissing it down here atm, and was all night as well. In all honesty, I wouldn't want to run on it- mum held an ODE there in April and the weather had been better in the run up. By the 1m class (so about 90 people gone round the XC at that point) it was deep and slippy and Reg came back looking he'd gone mud wrestling...

BeckyC

Visit site
Im in 2 minds as I am on the Saturday and literally 2 or 3rd in the morning for everything so I would get the best of the ground, however I would like to come home with a sound horse.

Louise_88

Visit site
This doesn't sound promising - I'm one of the last to run on Saurday on a horse that doesn't like mud, so i'm in two minds whether i will go even if they do run.

BeckyC

Visit site
I'm thinking I may have to drive down today and have a look myself at the ground. Dont really want to drive an hour and a quarter but better than doing the journey with a horse to have to turn around and go home again!

Shipley

Visit site
Friend has just arrived for the 3 day and said had to drive through a flood on the local approach road :-( shes off to have a look at the going but shes lucky there are only 20 max in the class so be interesting to see how arena holds up after dressage today and her class are first on XC

Bearsmum

Visit site
The ground last night was really good it had dried out well with yesterdays sun, but the rain since about 11 O'clock last night just isn't clearing.

I don't think we've had enough for it to be cancelled but the going isn't going to be as good.

Blessed British weather!

Lolo

Visit site
I doubt it would ever cancel, but it is currently pouring rain here and is showing no sign of stopping- our roads are beginning to flood. We're 25 mins from Blackwater and they're suffering the same conditions...

Horsemad12

Visit site
I doubt it would ever cancel, but it is currently pouring rain here and is showing no sign of stopping- our roads are beginning to flood. We're 25 mins from Blackwater and they're suffering the same conditions...

Thank you for the updates, like you I think they will try and run regardless. I am in Nottm and we have had an OK week so it makes you all positive but I am jumping at 14.00 on the Sunday and really don't want to jump out of a bottomless bog.

I have no doubt that GW can cope with wet conditions but this is months and months of wet weather and no land can cope with that much rain on top of rain.

Please keep the updates coming as I am serious thinking of withdrawing and just drinking wine on Sat night (Its my Mum's birthday so I have an excuse).

dafthoss

Visit site

I get this feeling too :( which seems a shame as the ground was really bad last week with poeple withdrawing from just doing dressage on it theres no way any one I know that was there last week would have been happy to jump on it. There was lots of talk that the areas should have been/would be cancelled let alone eventing in those conditions. Of course no body wants to cancel but I was only about the 8th one in for dressage and it was already fairly unridable.

Lolo

Visit site
For some context, Al withdrew from doing a second dressage test on the ground at the top of the hill (where it's usually hardest) as she felt it was unfair to ask Reg to perform on it it was so deep and slippy.

It depends on your horse a lot obviously, but I wouldn't want to ride on it at all really. It's been raining solidly for 5 hours now here and the fields are sodden with standing water- usually the fields drain really well and verge on the hard side. Not sure how Blackwater looks, but it won't be massively better! It will be a massive shame if they don't cancel IMO...