Guess the colour?? Dun? Gray? Zebra?

pheonix

Visit site
Hi, just wanted some help to clarify my new horses colour. I got her home today and have had lots of people ask what colour she is and I'm as lost as they are. Gray dun is what I thought, but people at the yard think she's grullo. Hopefully the pictures will load and someone can help me out!!

I have her colour gentetics but I don't understand them. She wasn't tested for dun. Her mum was grey and dad palamino. She's part bred pre and rising 5. Please Help!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ah, is this Diva? She's a very nice girl, I had a look at her a little while ago. If you post the colour DNA results here I'm sure Faracat will be able to interpret and tell you what she is, but I think (not knowing the results, which will confirm or deny) that she is a greying dun/buckskin. She has extensive barring (those are the stripes), quite common in PRE's.

Just seen the results - she is grey.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
They are Gg Aa Ee if that helps??

OK Gg = one copy of grey, so she will grey out over time. Aa = one copy of agouti (bay) and Ee = one black and one chestnut base colour (black is dominant over chestnut, hence why she is black based).

What you need to test for is Cream, which she could have inherited from her sire and Dun (Dam could have been a genuine Dun before greying out?). I suspect that she is negative for Dun and positive for Cream. You can have both Dun and Cream, but we don't know what colour her dam was before she greyed out. Anyway this is all moot really as she's a grey.

ETA. RE Dun and Cream dilutes - Genuine Duns have leg bars, dorsal stripes etc... but Buckskins can also have countershading that mimics this, which can be confusing.

RE Grulla. As this horse has Agouti, she is not a grulla, even if she does carry Dun, as Grulla is another name for Black Dun.

Last edited:

magicmoose

Visit site
She's very cute!

I would say that she is currently a greying buckskin (w primitive markings), but I'm sure she will go completely grey in time. The grey gene is dominant, so will eventually cover up all the other colours.

Do you know what colour her dam was when she was younger?

ETA I'm so slow typing!

pheonix

Visit site
Yes it is. Got her home today and she hasn't lived up to her name yet, thankfully :). I guessed she would go grey just wanted to know what colour she is before it dissapears, and so I can tell people and be confident. The colour results are above, but she wasn't tested for dun,

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes it is. Got her home today and she hasn't lived up to her name yet, thankfully :). I guessed she would go grey just wanted to know what colour she is before it dissapears, and so I can tell people and be confident. The colour results are above, but she wasn't tested for dun,

The very best of luck with her, she's a nice mare (she nearly came to live with me, but I have enough horses :)

RachelBristol

Visit site
ah shes sweet. My big boys passport starts... Bay, crossed out and replaced with roan... crossed out and replaced with bay again.. crossed out and replaced with steel grey! Hes 10 now and a typical dapple grey, but as a bubba they didnt have much of a clue what he was going to be!

pheonix

Visit site
Haha. Glad I'm not the only one who can get confused then. Thanks for all the replies guys :D think I have it sorted now. Ill look forward to watching her go grey.Makong sure I take plenty of pictures to remember what colour she was once!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This is my dark buckskin. She has been tested as a brown buckskin, but even though she looks a bit grey, she has no grey gene. She's only 2 and I have yet to see her summer coat colour.

taylah6thDec13_zps6a5ceae0.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Hahha that comment was about your two year old not me bragging about my new horse. Just clarifying. Hehe

Well your girl IS beautiful. Mine is going through that ugly duckling stage at the moment. She looks really strange! But I am thinking she will grow up to be a swan. :)

Pigeon

Visit site
So pretty! I think Grullo is the same as grey dun/mouse dun, and I think it might be called Grulla for a mare though I might have totally invented that!

How old is she? We had a Highland pony who I think was a true (mouse/grey) dun, he had a dorsal stripe and leg barring. She is much more yellow than he was. We currently have an irish draught x who is a buckskin. Her coloration is much more similar to his, he has the paler face and sooty marks (at certain times of the year) too!

mjcssjw2

Visit site
i would say very similar to mine!!
who started like this
IMAG0016_zps1bf12452.jpg

and more recently looks like this
DSCF1367_zps4c212312.jpg

cant really tell from second photo but definitely has bars - shes a greying dun