Guinea pig skin issue

scats

Visit site
Keaton has always been prone to a bit of dandruff. Him and his brother arrived very thin and malnourished in June 2019, having lived on a diet of carrots at a previous home.
Keaton’s skin issues improved as his body weight improved, but he was always a bit dandruffy. He seems to have a small permanent thin/balding area on either side of his back. I never seen him scratch, never see his brother groom him or pull his hair out and he doesn’t have mites.
Today, when clipping their nails, I noticed he’s looking a lot flakier than normal.
They have a brilliant diet, lots of vitamin C in fresh veg every day, plus ad lib hay and piggie nuggets, so I don’t think it’s a diet problem or deficiency. We had one vet at our practice who was a piggie expert (they are classed as exotics) but I don’t think she is there anymore. I’ve found other vets pretty clueless with guinea pigs really. Has anyone had similar and have you found that a particular shampoo works? He’s lively, great appetite, drinks well and is a good weight so he doesn’t seem unwell.

scats

Visit site
have you ever treated it as fungal? (the permanent patch)

I did a couple of months after I got him, once he put weight on and was eating well and I knew it was no longer a dietary issue. I used a human anti-fungal shampoo recommended on a guinea pig page. Did a few washes over a couple of months but no change.
Is it worth trying an anti fungal cream maybe instead?

Redders

Visit site
My top three things for this would be:
1) Dermatophytosis (ringworm)
2) ectoparasites
3) vit c
You say he doesn’t have mites, and he may not, but it’s more common to NOT see any mites, but they still have them, and it’s common to not see any extra itchy behaviour, so if a GP came to see me with this kind of complaint I would treat for ectoparasites (GP and environment) anyway, because not seeing them doesn’t rule them out. Also the patches either side are a common place for scratching (even if you don’t see). Can also suggest hormonal issue but more so in females.
I would take hair plucks to check ringworm (not all species fluoresce under special lamp) and I would over haul the diet/check diet is correct
If none of this gives any joy I would look at underlying issues with blood tests and have the owner fill in a behaviour diary for both GPs to see if any barbering/stress etc is going on, would also look at home environment, bedding etc as some things sold for GPs can actually be irritant.
common things are common though, so I would look first at ectoparasites and ringworm!

I would be careful with using shampoo or shop bought creams for GPs as they can be rather sensitive.

I hope GP improves!

edit to say their diet sounds fab and they have clearly landed on their feet with you.
Worth bearing in mind his previous shitty care may have caused some lasting issues such as being prone to ectoparasites (it’s normal for them to have some and be completely asymptomatic but GPs who haven’t had a great start or are otherwise unwell etc will have more of a reaction to them and they can become problematic.) or other disease processes.

scats

Visit site
My top three things for this would be:
1) Dermatophytosis (ringworm)
2) ectoparasites
3) vit c
You say he doesn’t have mites, and he may not, but it’s more common to NOT see any mites, but they still have them, and it’s common to not see any extra itchy behaviour, so if a GP came to see me with this kind of complaint I would treat for ectoparasites (GP and environment) anyway, because not seeing them doesn’t rule them out. Also the patches either side are a common place for scratching (even if you don’t see). Can also suggest hormonal issue but more so in females.
I would take hair plucks to check ringworm (not all species fluoresce under special lamp) and I would over haul the diet/check diet is correct
If none of this gives any joy I would look at underlying issues with blood tests and have the owner fill in a behaviour diary for both GPs to see if any barbering/stress etc is going on, would also look at home environment, bedding etc as some things sold for GPs can actually be irritant.
common things are common though, so I would look first at ectoparasites and ringworm!

I would be careful with using shampoo or shop bought creams for GPs as they can be rather sensitive.

I hope GP improves!

edit to say their diet sounds fab and they have clearly landed on their feet with you.
Worth bearing in mind his previous shitty care may have caused some lasting issues such as being prone to ectoparasites (it’s normal for them to have some and be completely asymptomatic but GPs who haven’t had a great start or are otherwise unwell etc will have more of a reaction to them and they can become problematic.) or other disease processes.

This is really helpful, thank you. I assumed it wasn’t mites because I’ve had a previous GP with mites and I could see them but his was a particularly bad case (we think from a bag of hay that I bought from a different place to normal)
Think I’ll book him in at the vet and see what they suggest.

Redders

Visit site
This is really helpful, thank you. I assumed it wasn’t mites because I’ve had a previous GP with mites and I could see them but his was a particularly bad case (we think from a bag of hay that I bought from a different place to normal)
Think I’ll book him in at the vet and see what they suggest.

no worries! Hopefully it’s something nice and simple!

Griffin

Visit site
I would second a vet check. I have had rescued guinea pigs in the past and it can take time to sort out the problems from poor care.

Once he is sorted, I used to use Gorgeous Guineas for shampoos because they are very gentle. Always try to put a freshly washed piggie back into clean housing if possible, otherwise you can undo all your hard work. Good luck!

Courbette

Visit site
Where on his back and what breed? If he has rosettes (Abbysian or abby cross) the centre of the whirl can appear as a small bald patch within the coat. I agree with the others that a trip to the vet is a good idea. I have had quite a few guinea pigs treated for mites and they can present diffrent symptoms. Once you get a diagnosis from the vet you may be able to purchase the treatment online in the future but it is so important to get the correct diagnosis and to be confident you have the correct treatment / dosage before doing this. I would buy Xeno for one of mine online after being precribed it by the vet but there are diffrent versions and you must be able to weigh the piggy to dispense the correct amount. Also tripple check anything bought online as I was once sent the adult Xeno when I had ordered the correct version for my baby piggies and if I hadn't spotted the error I could of killed them.

I have also used Gorgeous Guinea pigs and found the owner very helpful but I try to shampoo as little as is neceasry :)