Guinea Pigs??

JustKickOn

Visit site
recently found a small jump on my guinea pigs side.

my other guinea pig has a big hair folical on her back, its like a cycst and we took her to the vet and she said guinea pigs are suceptable to them.

should i be worried about this lump on my gunea pigs and should i have it check out??

any advice welcome. though i do not want to put either of my guinea pigs through an operation as i fear they wouldn't pull through both being 4 years old. (middle aged for them)

thanks

dwi

Visit site
I have owned lots of guinea pigs over the years and never had any with a lump. This needs to be seen by a vet because it might be something serious but it might not need an operation. Absolute worse case scenario the vet could put your guinea pig down rather than leaving it to suffer. if you don't go and get it checked you have no way of knowing what it is

JustKickOn

Visit site
okay thanks for the advice. mum told me not to worrythough as other guinea pigs Babe has a huge blown up hair folical on her back and the vet said to just leave it as if the drainn it the chances are it will just come back again n again and its not doinng her any harm. will go see the vet about pips new lump though. thanks dwi
smile.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
had piggies for years and never had cyst but had to have my snowie PTS yesterday, we think she had tumour inside
frown.gif

If they are 4 I'd leave them be if they are comfortable, from experience piggies dont to aneasthetic (sp!) very well...

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
i used to have a guinea pig who got these lumps too. i sent her for GA and she had it removed but turned out to be a fatty lump and not significant. she subsequently developed several more but was quite happy and eventually died of a stroke age 6
i would check the lumps are not fixed to the surrounding tissue and if not prob leave them-vet will be able to check this. some posh practices can ultrasound the lump
good luck
smile.gif

Tilly06

Visit site
Defo get it checked out, better safe then sorry eh!? We always had guinea pigs, they are such great pets! Our last one died a happy old lady at the grand old age of 7. Take the other along for company, they are tough little things if she did need a small op! xxxx

jowarner1

New User
Visit site
I also keep g pigs, had to take one to vets few months ago as she had a huge absess on her rump, vet went through usual routine of she might not make it through the anesthetic etc, but good god she has turned into some butch thing, who has to be kept separate from the others as she fights with them!!!
Prob her way of telling them how much pain she went through due to the absess poss being a scratch from one of them!!!! Def get it checked out tho.

JustKickOn

Visit site
tinsel?? that website is a wonderful thing! where ever did you find it!?!?

thankies also to cheeryplatypus, Jess06 and jwdaffers.
smile.gif
persuading mum to take Pip to the vets to get it checked. thgouh they both fear the vet very much as she hurt Babe (other pig) in a routine check up. they had their nails clipped and she cut to far and went through the sensitive pink bit, never heard her squeal so much!:(
frown.gif
shes okay now though.

again, thanks to all ^^