Gumpy Old Horse Syndrome

susanB

Visit site
Has anyone experienced having an elderly horse who for no apparent reason suddenly changes behaviour & goes from being a normal well mannered horse --no vices-- to being dangerous when approached. Mine ( 29yrs )now bites & kicks when having his rug changed & is so aggresive in his box that I leave the outdoor rug on all the time , which makes me feel really guilty about not being able to groom him every day. My vet who has known him for the 14 yrs I've had him can only put it down to him being an old man now as he has checked everything he can think of, teeth have been properly done, feet trimmed regularly, food adjusted to his age etc. It really upsets me to see the change in my beloved old boy.

_HP_

Visit site
I can only think its some kind of pain response...
Has his diet changed? Is he getting enough fibre? Reduced fibre can cause stomach ulcers which in turn can cause bad tempered behaviour.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo as he aged did get a bit of a Victor Meldrew though not as bad as your boy. Never was dangerous, not even ears back with us, but was not as affectionate and less tolerant of Stinky's antics. Wanted to be left alone and not fussed at times.

I found that by putting him onto some danilon picked him up - I think his joints were a bit sore during the winter as he was far happier in himself and a brighter outlook on life.

Could you try this and see if he picks up?

Cairo also loved being in work. Right almost to the end, I would take him for a walk in hand or hop on him bareback and ride him down the lane to the pub - he couldn't get his bridle on quick enough and was so pleased to be ridden, even for this short distance. My old TB was the same, very depressed if not ridden.

How is his eyesight - Cairo went through a stage of being very odd through his stable door and gate - we realised that his eye (he only had one) had gone very long sighted and he was almost blind for a good 3' in front of him. He did adjust and Stinky in the last few months of his life went from being naughty baby to rough and tumble with, to his carer and really looked after him.

Final thing, any chance of a growth that would effect him this way?

susanB

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions. Danilon has made no difference unfortunately. Tried this straight away as in the past it has worked. Now I am beginning to think that there could be a brain tumour , very slow growing , when I think back over the past 4,5 years about small signs which have occurred. He has had a "tic" for a long time which could not be solved & which is now worse. I just wish we could find a difinitive answer whatever it might be.

LeneHorse

Visit site
this may be a long shot but it could be that his pituitary gland is enlarged and is starting to press on his brain. Is he showing any signs of cushings disease?