Gundog people

Clodagh

Visit site
Very excited that I can join in with this one!

For those who don't know, we have Purdey the GWP who is currently 10 months old. She's our first gundog. We started looking for trainers very early with her but struggled to find anyone available. We have recently got her onto a 4 week HPR course with Worcester gundog society - Paul Brant is running it. We have done 3/4 so far and I am absolutely amazed by how she has come on in that time. Even Paul commented that she is like a different dog and that he has never seen a GWP hunt as well as her - almost as fast as a spaniel. Very excited to see where this adventure takes us!
It’s so brilliant when you find their niche and watch them fly. 🥰. I’m sure we’ll meet one day, you’re bound to end doing a Kimberley weekend. 😄

Clodagh

Visit site
I took 3 to a neighbours rushy field for a train this morning. Working on something I’d done in my lesson the other day, sitting them up and walking to a set area. Showing them a ball then hiding it in the rushes, half burying it. I did that with 6 balls then sent them one at a time. It was a seen but they weren’t just ‘there’ when they got there. Ffee was awful, she goes so fast she just charges over the ball and has to be stopped and redirected so often to get her to hold her area. Eventually she stops looking and starts sniffing but only after much whistle blowing.
Scout is great as he’s so slow he ambles out and finds it straight away. Wish he was that slow on game! But he does search with his nose and not his eyes.
Pen quarters like a spaniel with her nose to the ground, she’s very reliable but her stop whistle can be a bit hit and miss.

gunnergundog

Visit site
We have recently got her onto a 4 week HPR course with Worcester gundog society - Paul Brant is running it. We have done 3/4 so far and I am absolutely amazed by how she has come on in that time.

Ha! Am glad that you ended up with one of my ‘not so fluffy’ trainer suggestions, even if you didn’t deliberately seek him out. 🤣 Trust that you will be able to reassure Clodagh that he doesn’t carry or swing dogs around by their ears! 😉

Love

Visit site
Ha! Am glad that you ended up with one of my ‘not so fluffy’ trainer suggestions, even if you didn’t deliberately seek him out. 🤣 Trust that you will be able to reassure Clodagh that he doesn’t carry or swing dogs around by their ears! 😉
😂 I can confirm no dogs have been swung around by any extremities! (He did mention to everyone at the start that he doesn’t agree with using treats to train which, in Purdey’s eyes is as bad as being swung around - we’ve snuck a few in when he’s not looking 😉)
Editing to confirm it was treats we snuck in! Not swings 🙈

druid

Visit site
Sassy had a breakthrough today with retrieves, thankfully. Both pups are excellent enthusiastic retrievers but while Mimi has a lovely natural delivery Sassy's is, well, interesting. Mostly she has tried to jump on your head if you are crouching/kneeling. Placeboards and a standing position just result in it being flung in your general direction at Mach 10. It's not naughtiness or sloppy just sheer enthusiasm to get on with the next thing and "do the work".

We've been working on dead/hold in the house where she is much calmer and will carry toys no problem. All my pups get a lot of accidental training on delivery this way, giving and taking their toys in the house with no pressure and lots of praise. Yesterday she was offering a sitting delivery on the placeboard (doing some memories on short grass) instead og pogoing about but fumbling the dummy as soon as I moved my hands. I've been silently picking up the dummy (paint roller) and offering it to her with the command 'hold', lots of calm petting of her head while she holds then taking the retrieve with 'dead' and lots of praise and treats. Today the lightbulb finally turned on and she held on to the dummy to deliver, only once fumbling it and correcting herself by repicking it that time. Kept it short and sweet with 5 retrieves (they are doing memories off a board on short grass practicing out/away/back). Very happy with that as it makes moving her training along easier now.

Clodagh

Visit site
Sassy had a breakthrough today with retrieves, thankfully. Both pups are excellent enthusiastic retrievers but while Mimi has a lovely natural delivery Sassy's is, well, interesting. Mostly she has tried to jump on your head if you are crouching/kneeling. Placeboards and a standing position just result in it being flung in your general direction at Mach 10. It's not naughtiness or sloppy just sheer enthusiasm to get on with the next thing and "do the work".

We've been working on dead/hold in the house where she is much calmer and will carry toys no problem. All my pups get a lot of accidental training on delivery this way, giving and taking their toys in the house with no pressure and lots of praise. Yesterday she was offering a sitting delivery on the placeboard (doing some memories on short grass) instead og pogoing about but fumbling the dummy as soon as I moved my hands. I've been silently picking up the dummy (paint roller) and offering it to her with the command 'hold', lots of calm petting of her head while she holds then taking the retrieve with 'dead' and lots of praise and treats. Today the lightbulb finally turned on and she held on to the dummy to deliver, only once fumbling it and correcting herself by repicking it that time. Kept it short and sweet with 5 retrieves (they are doing memories off a board on short grass practicing out/away/back). Very happy with that as it makes moving her training along easier now.
I need you, all of mine have dreadful delivery which at least I can admit must be caused by me as it’s unlikely that 5 dogs, completely unrelated, can all have the same issue. 🤦‍♀️.
I’ve just lowered the bar to accept that as long as I get it near enough to take then that’s a win. The next pup I will take to a trainer when I transition to cold game as they are all ok until then and I think I stress out at doing it right and accidentally pressure them.

druid

Visit site
If it isn't perfect to start with when I retire them and let standards slip it becomes unacceptably poor in my experience. Aka the old git who punts things at me and runs off again to continue sweeping.

Plus these are trial prospects, I need a smart delivery.

gunnergundog

Visit site
I need you, all of mine have dreadful delivery which at least I can admit must be caused by me as it’s unlikely that 5 dogs, completely unrelated, can all have the same issue. 🤦‍♀️.
I’ve just lowered the bar to accept that as long as I get it near enough to take then that’s a win. The next pup I will take to a trainer when I transition to cold game as they are all ok until then and I think I stress out at doing it right and accidentally pressure them.
Try clicker training the retrieve. It's laborious, long-winded and you need the patience of a saint as you need to back-chain the behaviours but it certainly worked on my own bitch who had no desire to retrieve anything. Have also used it to help others with retrieve issues. It's not my 'go to' but a useful tool for problem solving.

maisie06

Visit site
out with mine this morning before the deluge. did a few retrieves and some basics with older springer who has got bit sloppy over the season and had febuary off as I was busy with young springley,

young springley is like a heat seeking missile on steriods when he thinks a retrieve is around, he's a natural when it comes to hunting so i been working on steadiness and delivery. this morning he was popping out of his little tree with excitement and heelwork was intersting , i am working more and more off lead now as need to push him on and expect more. i have a problem to sort out whereby if i stop and ask for heel to move off he storms off looking for a dummy!! I have a lesson booked for the weekend so will work on this with a trainer, but he did do a lovely memory over a ditch to finish!

Love

Visit site
Had a lovely moment yesterday on our walk around the fields. We worked on our patience (sitting for 5 mins before being allowed off), some off lead heel work and our turn whistle to begin with. Then for the second part we just wandered the rest of the way. Purdey was doing her own thing which is generally being very busy sniffing and snuffling and galloping everywhere at 3000mph. I suddenly noticed her take off in a very straight line - She was heading towards some crows that were absolutely miles away in the middle of said field. A shout of her name was either ignored or unheard (I would love to think the latter but i'm not convinced 🤣 ). We have only just progressed to using the stop whistle and so far only at short distances (her recall to the whistle is very good) but thought I would give it a go instead of the recall whistle - She instantly turned to look back and them came running when I recalled her. Lots of praise and treats! I think she was quite confused as to why she was getting so much fuss but when we encountered more crows in the next field she looked to me first before completely ignoring them 🎉

Here she is this morning with her favourite blanky - those eyebrows are getting seriously out of hand 🙈

0B810C05-5D7E-4D13-92CE-FA197A53614A.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
Try clicker training the retrieve. It's laborious, long-winded and you need the patience of a saint as you need to back-chain the behaviours but it certainly worked on my own bitch who had no desire to retrieve anything. Have also used it to help others with retrieve issues. It's not my 'go to' but a useful tool for problem solving.
I acknowledge my shortcomings as a trainer and bottomless patience is not one of them! Thank you though for the suggestion. I’ll muddle on with the current lot and try to not ruin the next one.

Love

Visit site
Well, Purdey puppy just started her first season today! So sadly will be missing our last gundog session on Sunday but not to worry (I assume that is the correct call with something like that)?

Please keep us in your thoughts for 4 weeks of on lead walks at silly o’clock 🙈🤣

scats

Visit site
This thread might be quite useful actually!

My elderly friend has always had Gundogs. He currently has an older spaniel who is amazing, and a young spaniel who could be amazing, except she is getting rather fond of picking up a scent and running. Cue her now going missing on a regular basis.

Spaniel is 18 months, he sent her to be trained somewhere last summer, and she came back with a few more of the basics. She is insanely intelligent but very busy-brained, and still rather hyper about life.
My friend is in his 70s and rather old school. He’s always bought trained gundogs so this is new to him. Unfortunately its looking like she might be going to a breeding home if this carries on (hes offered her to me but i can’t take another dog on while JD is in her final months/year as it would be unfair).

Has anyone had experience of a gundog who runs off like this and were they ever suitable for the job? Basically, is she likely to grow out of it or able to be trained out of it or is this just her?
Such a shame. She is a beautiful dog.

Clodagh

Visit site
This thread might be quite useful actually!

My elderly friend has always had Gundogs. He currently has an older spaniel who is amazing, and a young spaniel who could be amazing, except she is getting rather fond of picking up a scent and running. Cue her now going missing on a regular basis.

Spaniel is 18 months, he sent her to be trained somewhere last summer, and she came back with a few more of the basics. She is insanely intelligent but very busy-brained, and still rather hyper about life.
My friend is in his 70s and rather old school. He’s always bought trained gundogs so this is new to him. Unfortunately its looking like she might be going to a breeding home if this carries on (hes offered her to me but i can’t take another dog on while JD is in her final months/year as it would be unfair).

Has anyone had experience of a gundog who runs off like this and were they ever suitable for the job? Basically, is she likely to grow out of it or able to be trained out of it or is this just her?
Such a shame. She is a beautiful dog.
That’s one for @druid , I remember her talking about fixing that before.

druid

Visit site
Yes, it's fixable but it takes a lot of time and patience. I've had one, I wouldn't take another these days.

Clodagh

Visit site
I sold my spaniel that started bogging off. After she chased my grey partridge project across the road I couldn’t take it any longer. But the man that bought her adores her and she doesn’t do it with him. She hated me and she loves him.

scats

Visit site
I sold my spaniel that started bogging off. After she chased my grey partridge project across the road I couldn’t take it any longer. But the man that bought her adores her and she doesn’t do it with him. She hated me and she loves him.

I think he’ll end up selling her. He said I could have her for nothing but he’ll want money for her otherwise. Unfortunately I’m just not in a position to take her, as much as it would break my heart.

I get the impression she’d be better as someone’s beloved pet. She seems to want human company and lots of cuddles/kisses whereas my friend isn’t like that with them at all. She lights up when she sees me, which makes the whole thing even harder.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think he’ll end up selling her. He said I could have her for nothing but he’ll want money for her otherwise. Unfortunately I’m just not in a position to take her, as much as it would break my heart.

I get the impression she’d be better as someone’s beloved pet. She seems to want human company and lots of cuddles/kisses whereas my friend isn’t like that with them at all. She lights up when she sees me, which makes the whole thing even harder.
Selling them on, as long as the home is vetted, is far from the worst thing. Mine went to a retired man who does a bit of rough shooting and takes her to the pub every day, she’s living a fabulous life.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Training today with my young goldie, working on straight lines on undulating ground. He is very good at straight lines, so just stretching him out a bit. He’s ace that even if we get it wrong he recovers quickly and won’t question going again. Don’t want that to change so it’s a balance of pushing but not all the time/too much!

Going out great on memories and easy blinds, ie down a track or to a noise. Need to work on directions/stop/hunting more now. Oh and steadiness as he’s keen as mustard 🤣

SpottyTB

Visit site
Reading these reminded me of a photo I took of our older chap presenting… he’s always very proud of his retrieves (whether that’s game, a dummy, sock… or the latest, a jolly ball 🤣)

Attachments

• IMG_3859.jpeg
    IMG_3859.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9

Clodagh

Visit site
Training today with my young goldie, working on straight lines on undulating ground. He is very good at straight lines, so just stretching him out a bit. He’s ace that even if we get it wrong he recovers quickly and won’t question going again. Don’t want that to change so it’s a balance of pushing but not all the time/too much!

Going out great on memories and easy blinds, ie down a track or to a noise. Need to work on directions/stop/hunting more now. Oh and steadiness as he’s keen as mustard 🤣
I know one does not a study make but how does he compare to a lab? A friend who walked guide dogs said she much preferred the goldies.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
I know one does not a study make but how does he compare to a lab? A friend who walked guide dogs said she much preferred the goldies.
Working wise he seems much keener than my lab was as a young dog, I remember it taking a while for zazu (lab) to be interesting in retrieving much, now he’s super keen so could’ve been my inexperience there! He’s much more ‘pick me pick me’ ‘my turn my turn’ than Zazu is. Rafi (goldie) is also more confident in trying new things like picking fur/feather.

General temperament wise he’s much easier than Zazu as in hes generally more confident, loves everyone and I can leave him with anyone without him/me worrying. But again Zazu was born in Covid so might have something to do with it.

Breeding wise they are ‘similar’ in that Zazu is by a ftw with a ftch grandsire, Rafi is by a ftch (who got put out of the igl for running in/coming out of heel, so think that might be where the keenness comes from!)