Gundog people

druid

Visit site
Poor Sassy managed to break her toe while out for a wee on the lawn on Easter Sunday, thanks to her oaf of a sister running into her. One ortho consult later she's quite convinced she could be back to puppy zooms and training in her splint if I would just let her. Crate rest is not her cup of tea

Clodagh

Visit site
Poor Sassy managed to break her toe while out for a wee on the lawn on Easter Sunday, thanks to her oaf of a sister running into her. One ortho consult later she's quite convinced she could be back to puppy zooms and training in her splint if I would just let her. Crate rest is not her cup of tea
Poor girl. I hope it’s soon healed.

BallyJ

Visit site
Moss has returned from boarding school last night, a little earlier than planned due to her coming into season.
But wow what a dog! She’s come on leaps and bounds we’re very happy! Just now navigating her falling back into being a house dog, not kennelled, but without losing her new skills.
Doesn’t help that our other two are claiming not to know her and being mean girls, poor moss doesn’t understand!
Last night after her bath, looking rather bemused that’s she’s not allowed into the pile.

Attachments

• DDE04C72-8C73-45D4-9CDE-077B4094EE11.jpeg
    DDE04C72-8C73-45D4-9CDE-077B4094EE11.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 17

Clodagh

Visit site
Moss has returned from boarding school last night, a little earlier than planned due to her coming into season.
But wow what a dog! She’s come on leaps and bounds we’re very happy! Just now navigating her falling back into being a house dog, not kennelled, but without losing her new skills.
Doesn’t help that our other two are claiming not to know her and being mean girls, poor moss doesn’t understand!
Last night after her bath, looking rather bemused that’s she’s not allowed into the pile.
Was she pleased to see you? Does you have to learn the whistle commands the trainer used?

Love

Visit site
Sorry to hear that @druid - one of Purdey's sisters did the same when running into her crate. She healed very quickly too

We bought Purdey a new rabbit dummy and its the absolute best thing in the world according to her! After the first attempt which involved much parading, she's back to delivering really nicely with it. She also did a perfect stop and recall off a muntjac that we startled in the woods yesterday evening - then when we sent her off again a squirrel shot right under her nose and she did exactly the same again! Very proud but also praying it lasts... 🙈

Here she is looking very regal yesterday in her favourite sun spot - 11 months old now, can't believe it!

E5CA1F74-2074-4134-A59B-C3202B6FEFBB.jpeg

BallyJ

Visit site
Was she pleased to see you? Does you have to learn the whistle commands the trainer used?
We hung back for a while and he ran through afew things they’d been working on so she didn’t recognise us originally then she walked past and caught our scent and went nuts! 😂
Luckily the trainer is one that helped my husband with willow the older one so they use similar whistles anyway!
They’re were going to go back together at the end of summer for a couple of weeks but I think we’re going to try and go over for a weekly lesson instead!

Currently ruining all the training by letting her on the sofa 😬😬

EllieBeast

Visit site
Our little post moors report- a couple of weeks late as was waiting on the photos to be sent to me 😂

We had our first proper point - which was on Grouse dont’cha know (the king of the game birds 👑), unfortunately he was too far away from me to be able to manage it properly so it was followed by a biiiig old chase 🙄

But the next day, when a pair got up in front of him, he pulled himself off after about 10 strides. So progress and at least we know he’s got it in him.

Hunting is going back in the box now, when he hasn’t found something to chase (🙄) his stops, recalls and turns are lovely. Back to really trying to nail the steadiness.

It’s a very fine balance with a FAST (😳), wide ranging, hard hunting, yet sensitive dog, to kill the chase, without squashing the drive to hunt. And working out how to create the learning opportunities without setting yourself/your dog up to fail.

The boy is suddenly looking very grown up! (15 months old here)

327D4BF3-CC36-40CD-9BF1-581B2CB4FA81.jpeg
DB0FEA99-9EA8-43E3-A596-B4488150A974.jpeg
4F74962A-BA34-422F-9AA9-198B2DE2F057.jpeg
0FE0EF3C-F561-46D5-86D0-D85484563EE4.jpeg

Steadiness to shot and fall of dummies is going well, we played ‘picking up dog’ on the shoot with the help of MrEB & his gun, some clays and some dummies last weekend. Baby steps

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Bit of training this morning, starting Rafi on his left and rights just from a static position at the moment, with me moving further away from him.

Then trying to work on zazus stop whistle, he knows it and is good at it but needs sharpening. So been trying to send him out, stop, reward straight away. Reward is usually a marked retrieve either left or right from where he’s stopped.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our little post moors report- a couple of weeks late as was waiting on the photos to be sent to me 😂

We had our first proper point - which was on Grouse dont’cha know (the king of the game birds 👑), unfortunately he was too far away from me to be able to manage it properly so it was followed by a biiiig old chase 🙄

But the next day, when a pair got up in front of him, he pulled himself off after about 10 strides. So progress and at least we know he’s got it in him.

Hunting is going back in the box now, when he hasn’t found something to chase (🙄) his stops, recalls and turns are lovely. Back to really trying to nail the steadiness.

It’s a very fine balance with a FAST (😳), wide ranging, hard hunting, yet sensitive dog, to kill the chase, without squashing the drive to hunt. And working out how to create the learning opportunities without setting yourself/your dog up to fail.

The boy is suddenly looking very grown up! (15 months old here)

View attachment 137082
View attachment 137083
View attachment 137081
View attachment 137080

Steadiness to shot and fall of dummies is going well, we played ‘picking up dog’ on the shoot with the help of MrEB & his gun, some clays and some dummies last weekend. Baby steps
What a running dog! Great photo. I’m glad you had a good time.

Clodagh

Visit site
Bit of training this morning, starting Rafi on his left and rights just from a static position at the moment, with me moving further away from him.

Then trying to work on zazus stop whistle, he knows it and is good at it but needs sharpening. So been trying to send him out, stop, reward straight away. Reward is usually a marked retrieve either left or right from where he’s stopped.
I’m struggling for motivation today. It’s blowing a hooley and raining. The fields are standing in water. CBA!

druid

Visit site
For 7 month old pups they know what their noses are for! Working on a little hunt exercise today followed by a memory retrieve this morning. A short 5 mins session on handling with placeboards and food bowls this afternoon. Short and lots of success for all sessions for now.
Screenshot_20240406_120225_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240406_120026_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Noses 100% engaged. Pen, my black bitch hunts with her nose to the ground, like a spaniel. The others have their heads up. I’m sure Pen is better on the moor.
ETA when the birds are down in the tussocky grass.

Last edited:

maisie06

Visit site
I’ve just been sent a video of a young 6 month old bitch by the same dog as my Ffee. She’s been returned to the breeder, not the dogs fault. She is gorgeous. I don’t need her. BUT I WANT I WANT I WANT!
What are you waiting for?? go and get her!!

maisie06

Visit site
Out this morning and the young dog was a total TWAT - not listening running around like a headless chicken, back on the placeboards then...then put older springer on the boards to tidy up his delivery, mud everywhere atm so have to make myself go out there!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Training session today and zazu kept stopping a quarter of the way and looking back, if I gave him a back command he would go all the way to the retrieve. Annoying and trying to work it out. Working on about 150/200 yard memories.

Then I thought yesterday I was stopping him each time about 50 yards away 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ he has too good a memory! On totally different grounds today and yesterday

Clodagh

Visit site
Training session today and zazu kept stopping a quarter of the way and looking back, if I gave him a back command he would go all the way to the retrieve. Annoying and trying to work it out. Working on about 150/200 yard memories.

Then I thought yesterday I was stopping him each time about 50 yards away 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ he has too good a memory! On totally different grounds today and yesterday
I have trouble with this. Trainer says never give another command, or it becomes what you do. He also doesn’t agree with training stop on a sendaway (something Essex trainer did.)
So although you didn’t ask for advice, and I’m a novice, call him back, go a few steps closer and try again. Repeat until he does it in one. (Even if you are standing at the retrieve by that point). One session cured Scout.
However also admit you didn’t ask for advice and I’m the least qualified person to do it. 😄

Last edited:

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
I have trouble with this. Trainer says never give another command, or it becomes what you do. He also doesn’t agree with training stop on a sendaway (soberly f Essex trainer did.)
So although you didn’t ask for advice, and I’m a novice, call him back, go a few steps closer and try again. Repeat until he does it in one. (Even if you are standing at the retrieve by that point). One session cured Scout.
However also admit you didn’t ask for advice and I’m the least qualified person to do it. 😄
No I agree with giving another command becomes what you do, which I don’t want to become a habit! It’s not like he can’t do the distance as I can just say ‘back’ no hand signals and he will go all the way!

Tried just not saying anything and he just stood there 🤣 so called him back and sent again, was kinda hit and miss. Think he’s just got use to being sent then being asked to do something else. Appreciate the advice and will give it a go!

druid

Visit site
Don't give another command. Wait him out, he will break before you do and go looking for the retrieve. Even if it takes 5 mins of standing there.

If you want to train stop on a run out I prefer this exercise below. I had a spaniel who was a terrible popper and it's a hard one to overcome if it becomes habit. It's always the clever ones that learn it too!!

3 points in a straight line (a laneway or fence line is excellent to start off) A-B-C.
Memory at A, as you heel back to C drop a small blind at B, it needs to be exactly on dogs line from C to A and small enough they've got to hunt. Rabbit tennis ball is excellent or a snipe dummy.
You must have an exellent mark for B yourself. Use a pole if needed.
Send dog, stop at B and pick. Rewards the prompt stop nicely.
Then send for C, as they already know C exists they won't pop. They don't learn to pop from the exercise because they're always running to the memory at C.

Ramping that up is Declan Boyle's hunt/stop one which also teachs them to go through a fall area and to trust you even when a hunt is blank to move to another area and hunt again.

Similar lay out, maybe 50-60y between A-B and B-C
Poles at A and B
Use smaller dummies you can tuck into grass/cover
Start at A, drop memory.
Go to B, send to A. Stop and hunt/pick.
Leave dog at B, walk to A yourself and put out a memory blind. Put it 5 or 10 y away from pole/where first one was and well tucked in.
Return to dog at B
Put down a memory at B.
Heel to C
Send dog for memory at B with stop/hunt.
From C, send dog and stop at B. Hunt for 10-15 seconds, stop again and push him back to A.
Stop/hunt pick.

druid

Visit site
I have trouble with this. Trainer says never give another command, or it becomes what you do. He also doesn’t agree with training stop on a sendaway (soberly f Essex trainer did.)

Sometimes I'll back chain like this if I genuinely think they don't understand the question, however you can get into them starting to come back to heel if they "get it wrong" or think they've failed. Seen it in labs more than once!!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Don't give another command. Wait him out, he will break before you do and go looking for the retrieve. Even if it takes 5 mins of standing there.

If you want to train stop on a run out I prefer this exercise below. I had a spaniel who was a terrible popper and it's a hard one to overcome if it becomes habit. It's always the clever ones that learn it too!!

3 points in a straight line (a laneway or fence line is excellent to start off) A-B-C.
Memory at A, as you heel back to C drop a small blind at B, it needs to be exactly on dogs line from C to A and small enough they've got to hunt. Rabbit tennis ball is excellent or a snipe dummy.
You must have an exellent mark for B yourself. Use a pole if needed.
Send dog, stop at B and pick. Rewards the prompt stop nicely.
Then send for C, as they already know C exists they won't pop. They don't learn to pop from the exercise because they're always running to the memory at C.

Ramping that up is Declan Boyle's hunt/stop one which also teachs them to go through a fall area and to trust you even when a hunt is blank to move to another area and hunt again.

Similar lay out, maybe 50-60y between A-B and B-C
Poles at A and B
Use smaller dummies you can tuck into grass/cover
Start at A, drop memory.
Go to B, send to A. Stop and hunt/pick.
Leave dog at B, walk to A yourself and put out a memory blind. Put it 5 or 10 y away from pole/where first one was and well tucked in.
Return to dog at B
Put down a memory at B.
Heel to C
Send dog for memory at B with stop/hunt.
From C, send dog and stop at B. Hunt for 10-15 seconds, stop again and push him back to A.
Stop/hunt pick.
Thanks Druid will definitely give that a go!

druid

Visit site
Thanks Druid will definitely give that a go!

No worries, I train mostly with a lot of FT Lab people so have all sorts of exercises up my sleeve! Spaniels win on their hunting and lose on their retrieves so I try to make sure that mine are excellent retrievers as far as possible

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Sometimes I'll back chain like this if I genuinely think they don't understand the question, however you can get into them starting to come back to heel if they "get it wrong" or think they've failed. Seen it in labs more than once!!
I’m fairly sure he understands the question just wants some ‘help’ or to be sure he’s right, but next time we go out training I’ll try doing a few point and shoot marks then the exercise you mentioned. He’s a dog that doesn’t like to get things wrong

druid

Visit site
I’m fairly sure he understands the question just wants some ‘help’ or to be sure he’s right, but next time we go out training I’ll try doing a few point and shoot marks then the exercise you mentioned. He’s a dog that doesn’t like to get things wrong

Then I would defintely wait him out if he pops during another exercise but mostly I'd try prevent it happening and becoming a problem as he's so clever ;)

My little FT bitch was one who would come back in if she felt she got it wrong. Figured out it was because after 3 or 4 casts I'd call her in and re-line her up and send again. So we worked on just keeping going until she got it ensuring there was multiple dummies down if blinds. Or doing the retrieve as a memory with a helper replacing the retrieve as a blind in same spot while dog is coming back with the memory retrieve to really build confidence in taking the line.

I feel like 90% of gundog training is attempting to out think your dog's anticipation 😅

maisie06

Visit site
Then I would defintely wait him out if he pops during another exercise but mostly I'd try prevent it happening and becoming a problem as he's so clever ;)

My little FT bitch was one who would come back in if she felt she got it wrong. Figured out it was because after 3 or 4 casts I'd call her in and re-line her up and send again. So we worked on just keeping going until she got it ensuring there was multiple dummies down if blinds. Or doing the retrieve as a memory with a helper replacing the retrieve as a blind in same spot while dog is coming back with the memory retrieve to really build confidence in taking the line.

I feel like 90% of gundog training is attempting to out think your dog's anticipation 😅
My youngest is a nightmare! do an excercise once and he'll anticipate that's what you want again... as for stopping on the way out I have to put a memory out at A then I sneakily pick it up again, then walk back, send and stop, if he stops he gets a reward as i chuck a dummy in front of me and call him onto it, if he doesn't stop he doesn't self reward by running in on the original one!

druid

Visit site
My youngest is a nightmare! do an excercise once and he'll anticipate that's what you want again... as for stopping on the way out I have to put a memory out at A then I sneakily pick it up again, then walk back, send and stop, if he stops he gets a reward as i chuck a dummy in front of me and call him onto it, if he doesn't stop he doesn't self reward by running in on the original one!

This is where training with a helper who can pick up the dummy if they run in helps a lot!

I don't throw a reward for a stop because I feel it also feeds into popping (maybe if I stop she will throw me a mark which is higher reward/more adrenalin than blind or memory). I'm odd though and do next to no marked retrieivng with pups once they start memories, removing some of the adrenalin/anticipation and then when adding them back in the dog is now steady and confident in handling. So many ways to reach the same end point! :)

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
This isn’t really a gundog thing but I’m having an attack of the vapours. Contrary to all the flashy pics on fb I never teach or encourage mine to free jump wire. If there’s wire to be got over I go to the fence and show them where to jump, I line the spot with my arm or my coat.
Tawny just took it into her head to jump a four foot stock netting and 2 strands of barbed wire fence combo. From a standstill. She never does that. Not even when she was working. I need a lie down.