Gunky bits

Annagain

Visit site
No, it’s not a new indie band, it’s poor Charlie’s nether regions.

On Friday I noticed a fair bit of black gunk emanating from the area. I gave it a gentle wash with warm water yesterday- no sign of discomfort, happy for me to fiddle about in there. There was just as much there again today, if not more. There are also some tiny blood spots on the outside today, although I can’t find any cuts so don’t think he’s been trying to scratch or anything.

He’s very bright and happy in himself and doesn’t mind me fiddling. If I t was causing him any discomfort I know he wouldn’t let me anywhere near it, that’s what he’s like, so I’m pretty sure it’s not bothering him but it’s not normal for him so I’m sure something’s going on.

He’s not great with the vet so I’d like to spare him that stress if I can. Is there anything I can do to try to clear this up or is it a vet job?

Last edited:

[153312]

Visit site
I would think a vet might be best - even just a phone call to explain/photos but I would want their opinion at least. It might just be a reaction to flies or something really mundane but better to check I think.

Although just for a giggle - when reading the title I thought you were referring to bits as in a snaffle or something and I thought "just stick it in the dishwasher!"... But, urhm, maybe don't do that....?

Last edited:

Carrottom

Visit site
Could the tiny blood spots be midge bites? I've seen lots here in the last few days and noticed quite a bit of tails swishing.

Annagain

Visit site
Could the tiny blood spots be midge bites? I've seen lots here in the last few days and noticed quite a bit of tails swishing.
I haven’t seen any and he’s never reacted to them before. The blood spots were also fresh at 8am. I don’t think there would have been any around at that time of day?

chaps89

Visit site
Plenty of midges here first and last thing.
There are various sheath cleaning people about, if in doubt maybe call one of them out before the vet (clearly they’re not medically qualified but they might be able to give a better clean and an opinion on if there’s anything different/unusual to what they normally see, shouldn’t be too expensive either)

Visit site
Off topic but I was out clipping yesterday when my client said ‘oh before I forget… do you do beans too?’ I replied with a very certain ‘no!’ ? not going down that career path!

Annagain

Visit site
Would midges cause the gunk though?in 30 years of owning geldings, I’ve never known midges to cause that reaction?
Archie gets gunky due to his melanomas but I know the cause of that and what I need to do to deal with it.

Last edited: