Gunky eye in a dog

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My old lady has a sticky eye. I’ve been bathing/cleaning it in cooled salty water and some golden eye ointment which has made it much better.
However her nostril the same side is also a little gunky looking now.
I’ve obviously cleaned both, she’s perfectly herself in all ways, eating, drinking, as active as ever.
Any advice?
My car is having its brakes fixed today and o/h is working, I’m pretty sure it’s not an emergency situ and way but will be calling the vets Monday if no better

Roxylola

Visit site
My vets advise just cooled boiled water - not salty.
I'd do same, maybe ring them though as mine arent fully doing everything yet so they may just do you some drops without you going for a full appointment

quizzie

Visit site
Is she closing the eye more than the other, or avoiding bright sunlight, or is there any cloudiness/white on the cornea (clear part of eye)...all of which could indicate an ulcer which would need seeing before Monday?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is she closing the eye more than the other, or avoiding bright sunlight, or is there any cloudiness/white on the cornea (clear part of eye)...all of which could indicate an ulcer which would need seeing before Monday?
No not at all. I’ve seen several horses with ulcers so have looked very specifically and there’s no signs of anything other than stickiness.
I did try tea actually but wasn’t ever sure if that’s a myth, think it’s the tannins being soothing?! Maybe will go back to that.
Never heard of milk! Also worth a try, thanks.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My vets advise just cooled boiled water - not salty.
I'd do same, maybe ring them though as mine arent fully doing everything yet so they may just do you some drops without you going for a full appointment
I’m really not sure tbh. I will give them a ring in the morning. Either to discuss or perhaps get her booked in for Monday, I hate the thought of handing her over. She will be utterly terrified :( she’s been a wreck at the vets since injuring her tummy and having to stay in and have a GA

poiuytrewq

Visit site
No! Turns out I can’t. Not properly anyway. It used to be a joke as to how strongly she would clamp her jaw together, when she was younger taking a ball was impossible!
So I can stretch her mouth back and see the outside of her back teeth but I can’t open it and look at them properly. She’s a funny old stick.
Teeth I feel might be a really good shout though. Hopefully the vet has better mouth opening tricks than me.
I checked the website and I’m allowed to take her in myself now so am happier about that prospect.

SusieT

Visit site
Ok ring your vet for advice. Stop putting lotions and potions based on an internet forum. Eyes are too precious to mess around with.

twiggy2

Visit site
The tannins in (cold, strong, black) tea are soothing and antibiotic.
They can do not harm even if it is an ulcer, one of our vets used to advice it before prescribing antibiotics in cases of mild eye infection.

meleeka

Visit site
I rang the vet, they didn’t seem overly concerned, she has an appointment on Monday.
What did the vet say? I’m probably a but over cautious about eyes as mine invariably has an ulcer. She’s a JRT and has always got her head in a bale of straw. I wouldn’t mind so much if she actually caught some mice ?