gut balancers for scouring

4April

Visit site
Hi,

My horse scours mostly everyday and extremely bad on haylage. Feeding hay clears it up alot.
I have tried Thrive, Haylage balancer, baileys digestive supplement, protexin gut balancer, global herbs diareze and pink powder.
I have seen something recently on sand out supplements for horses on sandy or dry pasture. I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything to me?
She is fed Hi fi light, cool and collected and topspec cool balancer.

4April

Visit site
no hardly any grass :(
and my vet said is it when she is in season? and said dont give hard feed. the topspec lady just said soak the hay.
she only scours overnight or when excited at a show.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Obviously don't feed haylage .
My TB was very bad I fed him protexin at a double dose for six months it cleared up after four I now get him straight back on it if anything stressful happens .
Eugsin is a supplement worth looking at .
I have never had any luck feeding charcoal but many people have .

4April

Visit site
I would love to cut out hard feed but she is quite lazy and jumps affiliated sj. she needs a bit of energy plus she needs to gain a bit of weight.

sjp1

Visit site
If she responds to hay, clearly she is getting grass/clover somewhere.

I personally would use a mycotoxin binder. I found this helped with mine. I do however bring mine in morning and evening and make sure he has hay - his droppings are firm and defined. The mares down the bottom of the yard have a lot of clover in their field and don't have hay and pretty much have bright green cowpats.

Stress won't help, and it may be that yours has low grade ulcers, in which case hay will help quite a lot, as will no hard feed - chaff only, and no mollasses. Personally, I would try cutting the topspec and feed hay and see what happens. Interestingly, the girls down the bottom get a mollassed feed, mine gets only soaked non mollassed beet, and not much as he is a psycho on hard feed.

4April

Visit site
Obviously don't feed haylage .
My TB was very bad I fed him protexin at a double dose for six months it cleared up after four I now get him straight back on it if anything stressful happens .
Eugsin is a supplement worth looking at .
I have never had any luck feeding charcoal but many people have .

I may have a look into this thank you

4April

Visit site
apparently there is molasses in hi gi light so i may try top chop as it is unmolassed... i cant find any other unmolassed chaff :/ sjp1

what mycotoxin binders are there? thanks

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, mine was a bit like this with some haylage. Some he was fine, and some (the smelly ones) he was not.

I have bought him a hay steamer, more convenient than soaking. He eats Pure Easy feed, no molasses or oats or barley, loads of energy, and they have several types of feed for different energy. He only needs half a scoop as he seems fit and well and able on that.

I did try supplements, but they had minimal effect, and the steamer has done much better.

ihatework

Visit site
I'd cut out the haylage and feed a late cut meadow hay. I'd include feed protexin acid ease daily (and keep the quick fix in stock too) and I'd switch to a fibre/oil based diet