Gut feelings?

doodle

Visit site
I have often had that feeling of something being wrong, usually there is. Today my boss was telling me one of her old ponies was found dead in his stable. He had been fine at late night check, owner woke in the middle of the night, knew something was wrong and went straight to yard to find him already gone.
Anyone else? Do we just get so in tune with them we know there is something wrong? I talked to my therapist about this and she said it was rubbish and that if you looked hard enough you could always find something that had gone wrong. But this instance seems more than that.

crabbymare

Visit site
yes a few times. sometimes its that there is something not right when you see a ridden horse. other times you just need to do an extra check and find one cast or colicing or worse in the very sad case of your friend.

soulfull

Visit site
I think so. But my own gut feelings are more when something is going wrong ridden wise and everyone else says it just a naughty/fresh/ young horse.
It has happened several times and each time I was right.
Annoyingly it happened recently and I allowed 'the sceptics' to influence me which nearly resulted in me selling my lovely young draft.
Luckily I had physio booked and she found it.

I must I must belive my gut !!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
What a shame your therapist has closed her mind to a very useful therapy tool! Intuition used to be known as a higher therapy skill, now it appears to be yet another profession where the "box tickers" have taken over. Gut feelings are very useful things to have imo and experience.

Nativelover

Visit site
Not horse related but years ago I was about to leave home to buy a car, I'd already seen and driven it. This was the signing of the papers and bring it home.
Just before leaving I had a bad bad feeling in my stomach. That something wasn't right.
Sadly I ignored it and the cars engine blew on the way home!!! Took me months of battling to get my money back!! Should've listened!!

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Always trust your instincts, totally think you can get the vibe. Once on the way back home from a night out (had a few I admit) was so adamant I had to see my old boy my mom (who totally believed in that stuff too) took me to the yard. D was fine but two of his friends had broken out and were mooching around. Maybe they'd never have left the hayshed but with a good five hours to go before anyone would normally turn up god knows! The yard was open to the road at the bottom (shudders to think).

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I'm a great believer in intuition. I think we pick up all sorts of little signals and observations without realising it and that's what informs the intuition.

be positive

Visit site
I'm a great believer in listening to your gut. Every time I've ignored my instinct about something, I've regretted it.

I really regretted the last time I told myself to "not be so stupid everything would be fine" and still regret not turning round as my instinct was telling me to, my sensible brain told me to keep going and stupidly I listened to it, never again, if my feelings are strong I will listen to them.

rachk89

Visit site
Your therapist is an idiot and you should get another one. Blunt but true. She is blind to how the mind truly works.

I always listen to my gut feeling. Very rarely wrong especially when it comes to people I can know their true self just by looking at them sometimes and know they are not trustworthy. I have yet to be proven wrong.

On the horse side of things again I fully believe you can just know something is wrong. I made my horses last yard keep him in when he was lame once and they thought he should just go out to the field as it was probably just a bruised sole. A couple of hours after they checked him in the morning his leg had ballooned up and he had a nasty infection.

It can just be small things you subconsciously pick up on through the day and only when you fall asleep do those thoughts become accessible again. Sometimes you are able to make sense of those little things you pick up on in your conscious mind but that is more difficult to do. We get used to picking up on subtle differences in our horses but it's a transferable skill to anything really.

Fides

Visit site
You can see it in their eye when they have given up - maybe that is where the gut feeling comes from. When they have given up already but we don't yet even know there is anything wrong. They're such stoic creatures...

Equi

Visit site
Sometimes they can be the opposite of what you need tho. My gut very strongly told me not to buy my horse and I did and it's been wonderful.

Luci07

Visit site
I always listen to my intuition. There is sometimes a perfectly rational explanation as well in that we pick so many other signals which are non verbal. It's how I knew an ex was cheating without a shred of proof! Or my horse is about to have a. e R U attack before showing any symptoms. I also listen to warnings for close friends as well. A week ago I passed on a warning to a friend who lived far away. I was right.

doodle

Visit site
It's interesting isn't it. I think in this case maybe there were subtle unnoticeable signs things were not all right. I don't know. When my horse was injured in the field (an injury that led to him being pts after a stay in hospital) I just knew driving to the yard there was a problem. That could not have had an signs earlier.

Perhaps saying that my therapist was trying to allay my anxieties.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have often had that feeling of something being wrong, usually there is. Today my boss was telling me one of her old ponies was found dead in his stable. He had been fine at late night check, owner woke in the middle of the night, knew something was wrong and went straight to yard to find him already gone.
Anyone else? Do we just get so in tune with them we know there is something wrong? I talked to my therapist about this and she said it was rubbish and that if you looked hard enough you could always find something that had gone wrong. But this instance seems more than that.

Yes my gut feeling is normal right and |I firmly believe in them

skint1

Visit site
I think as I have got older I've had less faith in my gut feelings I often sense that one of my animals is "off" before they show signs of it, but because I recognise that I've become an anxious person over the years and have a tendency to go straight for the worst case scenario, I will often try and reason myself out of it.

gryff

Visit site
The girls down the yard laughed at me because I was absolutely adamant that I needed to have a tail hair bracelet made from my mare's and a keepsake from her shoes. I just had this awful feeling something was going to wrong with her. Just two weeks after the farrier made me a beautiful piece from her shoes, I came down the yard to find her wits a horribly broken leg. Everyone says it must have been such a shock, but deep down, I knew it was going to happen and so was so calm and matter of fact about it all.
Slightly differently, my gelding wasn't right. I knew he wasn't right but three vets said he was fine. I insisted and insisted and eventually, after spending two weeks with the vets, they finally found he has completely torn one of his ligaments in the knee.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
My gut feeling is almost always right.

The day my Falabella came in shaking in the summer I just knew from a gut feeling he'd got grass sickness! No reason to have this feeling, he had no typical signs/had been well up till that morning! Vet came out and confirmed and sadly after trying to figh I lost him six hours after diagnosis.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Often I think gut feelings are our brains adding up all the little clues we have seen or been given. At times I think there is more involved.

Recently I knew there was something wrong with my pony on loan. I sat up in bed and I knew. I messaged straight away ( 3 o clock in the morning :D) asking for a picture. I think it was because she had gone quiet on FB , I don't know. She sent a photo of him that was taken from about 1/2 a mile away. I was down there that evening to find him in a pitiful condition. I got him home, he is fine now.

My Chiro vet often says she treats my horses by watching me. Once when she was treating my pony, I experienced pain in my back. I described it to the vet, I was showing the same symptoms as my horse but in a mirror image, it was really weird but the vet was unphased by it.

NZJenny

Visit site
We have just had another massive earthquake here, and a lot of people have been talking about how their dogs, cats and horses were very unsettled last night before it struck. We must have had those instincts at some stage I think - now what we call "gut feeling".

dixie

Visit site
We have just had another massive earthquake here, and a lot of people have been talking about how their dogs, cats and horses were very unsettled last night before it struck. We must have had those instincts at some stage I think - now what we call "gut feeling".

Hope all is ok with you, looks pretty bad again.

claracanter

Visit site
I watched a programme recently in a series about the brain. The presenter was trying to explain gut instincts. He felt that you should trust your gut feeling when you get one. He then went on to show an experiment that proved this to be the case. It's something to do with your instincts being ahead of the logical part of your brain, it was really interesting and a bit too complicated to explain here!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I watched a programme recently in a series about the brain. The presenter was trying to explain gut instincts. He felt that you should trust your gut feeling when you get one. He then went on to show an experiment that proved this to be the case. It's something to do with your instincts being ahead of the logical part of your brain, it was really interesting and a bit too complicated to explain here!

Was that one of the David Eagleman programmes?