Gutted

Nic

Visit site
Dubh has felt a bit unlevel recently & was off at Houstoun BE so had the vet out today. It's not good. Dubh is lame in both front feet, Vet nerve blocked him & it looks like early Navicular, ringbone or concussion to the coffin joint. just been to the toilets in floods of tears. Blair is defo out & probably the rest of the season. Gutted doesn't come close.
frown.gif

Nic

Visit site
Nothing nice or I will loose the very tiny piece of composure that is stopping me sobbing on the reception phone at work
frown.gif

Can anyone give me more info on concussion of the coffin joint, I know nothing about it but it seems like the lesser of 3 evils atm
frown.gif

Alibear

Visit site
Concusson of the coffin joint is exactly that andusually makes the joint inflamed and more serious cases the bones can be "bruised"

However often comes right with rest and anti-inflam treatment so don't worry too much just yet.

Have X-rays been done or is that the next step?

SpruceRI

Visit site
Oh god, poor you

Does your horse have any new lumps or bumps around the heel area? Reason I ask is that one of mine has been feeling the hard ground and I'm worried about doing another thing with her until Autumn now in case of something dreadful occurring. Should I be looking out for any unusual lumps/bumps? Thanks.

SillyMare

Visit site
Oh no, how horrible - poor Dubh!

When will you have a better idea what is going on?

I think they can do amazing things with special shoes for navicular / ringbone these days - lots of horses seem to manage fine for years.

Everything crossed it turns out to be nothing too serious - if your vet is like mine then he has probably given you the worst case scenario.

Nic

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated. We will get the x-ray results next week. I am hoping that vet has given us worst possible scenario, but those were the 3 options he gave us.

The vet was looking for lumps round his coronet band which I think was for low ringbone.

BBs

Visit site
Aww Nic i am so sorry to hear this.

If it is navicular its not always the end of the world - with corrective shoeing, good management, feeding and drugs (navilox) you could have a very long competitive career still ahead!

Bertie is living proof - 12 yaers ago he was dignosed with navicular and he competed for a further 10 years!

Hugs babe

Vxx