Gutted

abbieandfiona

Visit site
My mare gave birth at 11.30pm last night myself and the vet decided to pts at 6.30am this morning.

Think im still in shock, the foal looked so perfect in every way, however it wasnt meant to be she had a hernia and colic symptoms so we agreed it would be cruel to keep her alive. Mare is still with foal at moment as we were hoping to find a foal for her but time will see if anything comes up.

LittleWildOne

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Foalie :(.
The YO where I keep mine lost her favourite mare a few days ago during a very complicated foaling. I don't know the details, but the mare had to be PTS during foaling, so both mare and foal were lost. :(

abbieandfiona

Visit site
Thank you mare not great will not leave foal at all, vet wants me to remove foal soon if no replacement can be found as she is getting very stressed out. Think im still in shock.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm so sorry, it must be a terrible time for you and your mare. I'm so glad you left the foal with her, quite honestly, she'll be stressed out after her loss regardless, but having time with her foal and letting reality sink in must help.

Fingers crossed for your foal search.

tynedale

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss, stay strong for your mare!
I did read this somewhere but don't remember where, mare needs time to realise her foal is dead and some take a few hours and others need several hours.
If you don't find a foal for her can you turn her out with another friendly horse?
Give her a good pamper once foal is removed and she has settled a bit and then turn her out with another horse.

Mega

Visit site
So sorry to hear of your loss, my mare lost her foal last year. It took her a good few days to come to terms with her foal's death. Unfortunately we didn't find a foster foal. We did try to take her away after a few hours, but she called and pinned to get back to him. In the end we let her back and left her stable open, so she could come and go as she pleased. She pulled him round and stood over him, but eventually left the stable and showed no interest in returning. I believe she had to satisfy herself that he was truly gone (v traumatic for us humans, but essential for her) its how she would have dealt with it in the wild. She is absolutely fine now.
Please let your mare grieve and come to terns with her loss in her own time.
((((((hugs))))) to you it is such an awful time xxx

mollymum

Visit site
R.I.P baby. Have you tried the National Foaling Bank? (I presume they're still going). Your vet should have details. Otherwise would it be feasible to put a calf or something on her?

Holly831

Visit site
So sorry - it's heartbreaking to lose a newborn.

I lost a colt foal (still born in March after mal presentation & huge size) this year and then had a really sick mare (endo toxic laminitis)

I left the foal with the mare until she chose to walk away from him. She was still very distressed for days after :(

Have you posted on the Fosterfoal page on Face Book? I know a few breeders that have managed to 'pair up' through the page.

https://www.facebook.com/Fosterfoal