Gypsy vanner - what do I need to know?

asterid

Visit site
So , I am on the look out for a new youngster and I am going for something completely different. I fancy a gypsy vanner for showing and dressage.

Please can you knowledgable people give me hints and tips for buying one, what to look for, what not to have etc

Any tips on breeders etc would be useful too. Many thanks

bartontara

Visit site
Hiya!
Now i'm not terribly experienced in buying and am definitely not reflecting everyone's views here - however I can offer a few tips!
Make sure you ride before you buy! This may sound stupid, but my mum rode mine out on a hack where the horse was immaculately behaved and so was taken on trial - turned out to be a nightmare in school! If the vanner has been used as a trotter before hand, I warn you many of them have issues cantering (take mine who falls over whenever it is attempted!). Similarly, mine was treated extremely poorly when used as a trotter which has caused many trust issues over the past few years :( love her to pieces - but make sure none of these problems are hidden from you when buying! In most cases I would say most usual 'buying a horse' hints apply to gypsy vanners - just watch out for dodgy dealers and mistreated vanners/unschooled (from trotting)! (unless you want a project, in which case go for it - very rewarding)
Hope this helped in some way :)

Orca

Visit site
A Gypsy Vanner is known as a Traditional (Gypsy) Cob in the UK. Check out the breed standard on tgca.co.uk to know what to aim for. There are American sites with Vanner breed standards but the standards are similar (the desirable traits are the same).

DressageCob

Visit site
If by youngster you mean unbroken, make sure you see it at least loose in each gait. I'm a big fan of gypsy cobs, but some do have their limitations. Canter is not an easy gait for them. There's a tendency for it to be flat and potentially four time. There are traditionals with great canters, but just have a good look. The same goes for the walk...a big loose walk is not always found in traditionals (much as with any breed, you get some with great gaits and some less so).

For showing you are looking for even markings if you're going for a coloured. Some say that minimally marked is not desirable but that's a matter of opinion. Plenty of feather, mane and tail is a must. The rest of the breed traits are found here http://www.tgca.co.uk/breedstandard.htm

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I have, admittedly, seen some very lovely "vanner" type cobs do dressage, but TBH the breed will struggle to do it, simply because of their sheer bulk and conformation, and the way they move.

Can I ask OP, WHY exactly do you want this type of horse to do dressage on, when you can go out and buy other horses, lighter types, that will do the job far better coz they're basically bred to it?? These big cobs were originally bred for driving, and only in recent years have they been used in ridden work. Expect them to be lobby and flat in their movement, and particularly so in canter - even after a lot of school work (which they will find physically difficult and probably begin to hate) you will struggle to produce anything decent TBH and it will feel like you are trying to pull each leg up into the bridle, if that makes sense!

I would also hugely second what someone else has said on here about sourcing these horses: my boy's history is a huge question mark, but it is very obvious that he has a lot of issues and that they are based on fear and trust, or should I say lack of it, and it is highly likely that he's been knocked around the markets and horse-fairs a bit in his life, which then creates a huge problem in his behaviour, for instance at a show or event that reminds him of any way of being in that sort of atmosphere.

IF, and it is a big if, you can find one of these horses that has been started and brought on sensitively and properly, then they are a real treasure; but my experience is that these big chunky cobs, once they've found out that they can use their weight and sheer bulk against you, can be difficult to handle unless boundaries (both on the ground and elsewhere) are clearly marked and adhered to. If you get one (like mine) that hasn't been properly started and has had, shall we say, a "nomadic" background, then you could have something that is very quirky indeed and with more than a few issues.

Having said all that, if you are committed, then go for it, and good luck to you!

Last edited:

gothdolly

Visit site
I bought my piebald gypsy cob last year as an unbroken 3 year old. He does try to use his strength against me and requires constant groundwork. He has a beautiful trot and lovely feather, but his canter sounds like elephants are coming and is very unbalanced. I think he will make a great pony for hacking and pub rides, but is unlikely to excel at dressage. He does excel at bombproofing though! He will walk under, over through sheets of polythene etc and s unphased by farm machinery etc.

smja

Visit site
Look past the hair :) Seriously, imagine the horse if it had a short mane, short tail, and no feathers. Then assess its conformation. If you want to show you do need something with some wow factor but it should have substance as well as window dressing.

If you want info on breeders, let us know if you're in the UK or the US (or somewhere else!) - I've never heard gypsy vanner used in the UK, as Orca says it's a traditional coloured cob here.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I went looking for a horse with a client, and we tried a Vanner, called Daisy.

I rode her in the school, on the roads and in open ground. My client was not impressed, but I nearly bought her myself!

Yes, she was big and lumpy. Yes, she found school work hard. BUT I have rarely had such fun on a horse! I mean, we went to pull her in from the field and I was all on not hopping on her bareback (and when buying I am usually VERY cautious). My professionalism stopped me doing that thing but I did ride without seeing her ridden first, which is VERY rare.

I felt very safe. She huffed and puffed, but thundered round the school. We met all sorts of stuff out hacking, she was ace. Cantering in a field she had plenty of get up and go. To handle she was extremely polite.

So, I would say, if a vanner is good, it is good. Like any horse though, if it is bad, the yes, there is a lot of weight behind it!

My client felt safe, but decided that she would rather have a "normal" horse. I was disappointed!

Daisy did not sell, despite all of her attributes, as people thought she was ugly. She had the added complication that, although she would canter in the school for me, and also her owner, and a few others, she would not canter for novices. Then, if they incorrectly asked her and backed it up with a whip it did not always end well for the rider.

Sadly for me OH refused to have a daisy. I believe she ended up loaned to a riding school. For myself I still have a photo or two of Daisy on my phone, I liked her that much! A bit different to the fancy pants horses I usually go for!

ETA, the client found the perfect horse for herself, so she was right. But, to this day I hold a candle for Daisy!

comet!

Visit site
Mine was bought from a riding school who decided he was a little enthusiastic for their needs. I don't have much advice other than look past the coat if you're looking now and he/she is living out. Mine looked like a yellow yak when I first saw him, but I was shown a video of him moving and with his lovely summer coat and then saw him move myself that was enough for me. He is only just over 15hh but has a big stride and an amazing extended trot (haven't tried extended in the school yet, just medium while schooling, but out hacking I ask him for a bit more).

He was unschooled when I bought him and couldn't really canter. Trotting in the school he resembled a stargazing giraffe. I spent at least six months wondering what I had bought. Generally now his canter gains his best marks at dressage (often 8s). Aim for this year is to have a go at some BD mediums.

I initially bought mine to show and dressage, however he makes it very clear that showing is not for him (generally spending the whole time yawning and flicking his tongue out.......and being as embarrassing as he can be!)

The only other thing is that he can be a little sharp to ride, but is incredibly agile with it :-D

Orca

Visit site
I went looking for a horse with a client, and we tried a Vanner, called Daisy.

I rode her in the school, on the roads and in open ground. My client was not impressed, but I nearly bought her myself!

Yes, she was big and lumpy. Yes, she found school work hard. BUT I have rarely had such fun on a horse! I mean, we went to pull her in from the field and I was all on not hopping on her bareback (and when buying I am usually VERY cautious). My professionalism stopped me doing that thing but I did ride without seeing her ridden first, which is VERY rare.

I felt very safe. She huffed and puffed, but thundered round the school. We met all sorts of stuff out hacking, she was ace. Cantering in a field she had plenty of get up and go. To handle she was extremely polite.

So, I would say, if a vanner is good, it is good. Like any horse though, if it is bad, the yes, there is a lot of weight behind it!

My client felt safe, but decided that she would rather have a "normal" horse. I was disappointed!

Daisy did not sell, despite all of her attributes, as people thought she was ugly. She had the added complication that, although she would canter in the school for me, and also her owner, and a few others, she would not canter for novices. Then, if they incorrectly asked her and backed it up with a whip it did not always end well for the rider.

Sadly for me OH refused to have a daisy. I believe she ended up loaned to a riding school. For myself I still have a photo or two of Daisy on my phone, I liked her that much! A bit different to the fancy pants horses I usually go for!

ETA, the client found the perfect horse for herself, so she was right. But, to this day I hold a candle for Daisy!

This made me grin. There really is 'something' about a nice Trad! Orca's character, presence and paces grabbed me as soon as I laid eyes on her. I've described her here before as a 'floating steam train' when she's on the go and that really is the best way to describe her combination of power and impulsion, yet good self carriage and showy paces (she obliterated the Welshie I'd seen a few days before from my memory!). A heavyweight with presence is a joy to behold and a nice Trad is lovely to deal with. Many of them are real 'people' people and that's a 'bred in' trait worth looking out for. The way Orca communicates with me is something I haven't experienced before in many years of horses. She's very expressive and a real people pleaser :)