Gyspy vanners

AandK

Visit site
A decent one is beautiful, but not for me as my horse, I am a TB person, the traditional cobs have too much hair for me! Have seen how much work goes into keeping on top of the hair/feather, and the prep for a show! No thanks, having a grey TB is more than enough...

Leandy

Visit site
No and just no. I want a sport horse bred for performance not a common animal bred for clumpy ploddiness. I also detest the "barby horse" hair thing (not restricted to cobs/vanners) that is increasingly in vogue. Horses are working animals and should be presented and trimmed in a workmanlike manner to allow them to perform effectively. They are not "barby doll horses" to be primped and brushed and have their hair put into bags/plaited so it gets longer and longer and thicker and thicker and is only ever brushed out for human enjoyment and by then it is so long it hides the (often bad) conformation and impedes the horse's sight and way of going and rider's effectiveness. I saw a "hairy" at a dressage competition this summer whose mane was so long it would have been impossible for the judge to see what on earth its head, neck and mouth were doing on that side.

meleeka

Visit site
A massive 'no' here, but I do need to explain the reason as I do have some mad logic. ;)

The rebrand of Gypsy Cobs to Gypsy Vanners is one of the most cynical money-grabbing enterprises that I have read about. IIRC it was started by one couple that exported the first cobs from the British Isles and took them over to America, bred them and sold them for $$$$$$. The Gypsy Vanner breed society was also set up over there. The whole magical hairy horse thing I read about in regards to GV's is a bit odd as a non-American.

So why would I buy a 'Gypsy Vanner' that costs loads, then import it back to the UK when I can go on Dragon Driving and buy a nice Cob for far less money that might even be registered with the Traditional Gypsy Cob Association (although if they had a generic passport but were a nice enough horse I'd be happy anyway).

I agree with this. It’s bonkers and then you have the people who live in caravans claiming their scruffy foal is a relation to one of the famous ones and they are suddenly worth £££ too.

I have one, who I love the bones of but the hair was a bit of a shock in the beginning and so was the mud he produced. He has a pony type head though and mostly black apart from his feathers, so is more attractive than most.

eahotson

Visit site
No and just no. I want a sport horse bred for performance not a common animal bred for clumpy ploddiness. I also detest the "barby horse" hair thing (not restricted to cobs/vanners) that is increasingly in vogue. Horses are working animals and should be presented and trimmed in a workmanlike manner to allow them to perform effectively. They are not "barby doll horses" to be primped and brushed and have their hair put into bags/plaited so it gets longer and longer and thicker and thicker and is only ever brushed out for human enjoyment and by then it is so long it hides the (often bad) conformation and impedes the horse's sight and way of going and rider's effectiveness. I saw a "hairy" at a dressage competition this summer whose mane was so long it would have been impossible for the judge to see what on earth its head, neck and mouth were doing on that side.
whereas of course,a crank nose band makes everything the mouth is doing very plain.

Leandy

Visit site
whereas of course,a crank nose band makes everything the mouth is doing very plain.

Well its hard to disguise tension and resistance if you can generally see the horse but this thread is about hairy horses not tack. For what it is worth though, there are of course existing rules about the tightness of nosebands.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Your boy is beautiful!

Tihank you! Haven’t seen him hardly at all this week due to work/dog issues.
1636746622020.jpeg

A massive 'no' here, but I do need to explain the reason as I do have some mad logic. ;)

The rebrand of Gypsy Cobs to Gypsy Vanners is one of the most cynical money-grabbing enterprises that I have read about. IIRC it was started by one couple that exported the first cobs from the British Isles and took them over to America, bred them and sold them for $$$$$$. The Gypsy Vanner breed society was also set up over there. The whole magical hairy horse thing I read about in regards to GV's is a bit odd as a non-American.

So why would I buy a 'Gypsy Vanner' that costs loads, then import it back to the UK when I can go on Dragon Driving and buy a nice Cob for far less money that might even be registered with the Traditional Gypsy Cob Association (although if they had a generic passport but were a nice enough horse I'd be happy anyway).

I always thought taking some really hairy cobs to America could make me my fortune! ?

meleeka

Visit site
It is what lurks under the feather that you need to be worried about, not the hair you can see. I do think many people let furry cobs suffer without realising what is happening.

I think you are right. There seem to be lots that really suffer with their skin. Thankfully mine has amazingly effective feathers. He can be fetlock deep in mud, yet if I part the hair his skin and the hair next to it is bone dry and still persil white. I’m lucky he isn’t in mud all winter though.
My Freisian, with less feather, is better off without hers as she gets mites :(

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
I bought a two year old with the intention of making a nice hogged cob - he’s now 4 and still fluffy as all the judges adore him and he’s shown a real talent for dressage (serious red ribbon collector with my trainer on board - she was only going to keep him ticking over while I had surgery but they’ve clicked so well together I’m encouraging them to keep going) one dressage judge even wrote “love his pompoms “CEB9BF72-298A-4079-A8D0-8A1AAE5D15B7.jpeg

Urshee

Visit site
I love the breed, and would consider owning one but feathered legs are pitting me off, only due to how much work is needed to keep them healthy and nice

GoldenWillow

Visit site
It is what lurks under the feather that you need to be worried about, not the hair you can see. I do think many people let furry cobs suffer without realising what is happening.

I'll admit I get get very cross when I see or read of people having problems with their cobs skin under their feathers but won't clip them to treat them.

eahotson

Visit site
I still think buying the cheapest thing you can find on Dragon Driving and shipping it to the States to sell for stupid money is a brilliant business plan.
Well there are cobs and cobs. I went to see one a few weeks ago and knew as soon as I saw her that I didn't want her, her conformation was so poor,she was short in the back and couldn't carry a decent sized saddle and had a short stubby little neck.The one I bought though is a completely different article altogether.Beautifully put together, nice length of neck,very pretty refined head and lovely paces, particularly the walk.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
In fact I have a cob, I’m not even sure how much of a cob he is as he’s never been given the opportunity to grow ?
Even retired I plan to keep him reasonably neat