H&H article I SO agree with

Hollychops

Visit site
We have 2 ponies, 38 (bought as a 26 yr old) and 26 yrs old, who are both still capable of being ridden. The older gives most youngsters a run for her money, however due to her age no one wants her, which is a shame as she is the best first ridden you could wish for and the other just mooches about getting fat. I can understand someone who cant afford 2 thinking that letting one go is the best option, but there are so many horror stories out there that it scares me. I sold a pony when he was 22 to a previous loaner as my daughter no longer had the interest but i knew she would never sell him and he will be spoilt rotten. It is not a decision i made lightly as i have no control over him but he could still do the same as what he could when we bought him and it was the right decision for him. I drive past his field most days so would soon know if he disappeared, not that there is a lot i could do apart from ask after him.

If he had any issues, he wouldn't have gone anywhere except to the grass field in the sky, i would never pass on a horse with issues. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like me. I had my mare pts at the age of 23 as it was the kindest thing for her before she started to suffer, its not a nice decision to make but it was the best.

I have nearly always bought older ponies when my daughters were younger as they were the best in terms of safety and experience. I have been very lucky in the ones i found.

pansymouse

Visit site
I bought mine at 16 and she's now 25 and still a sharp, challenging ride. She will stay with me the rest of her days irrespective of whether or not I can ride her. I will say goodbye when she is no longer enjoying life - the decision will be made based entirely on her welfare and with no consideration of the grief I will feel.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I sold a 18yo pony to an RDA driving group, where he did many years driving for disabled without putting a foot wrong. He was retired sound aged 30 to see out his days at the Horse's Trust, not because he was no longer up to the job, but purely based on his age. I went to see him last year, and they had his foaling date wrong by 10 years - he didn't look a day over 20! :D

I would be hesitant to PTS an otherwise sound, healthy horse just because I couldn't keep it. There are good homes out there if you can find a good match.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Sorry but only option a and b are acceptable to me. I couldn't have a horse pts just because I wanted a new one. I also wouldn't pass a horse on that wasn't suitable for riding (whatever age). Like pansymouse my decision re pts would be purely on their welfare. I think the article would be better if it was more balanced.

Reactions: JJS

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There is also the factor that many old horses have owners who may be finding the day to day work associated with keeping horses becoming more challenging as they, too, age. After last winter I discovered that I'm not 22 any more (surprise!) and keeping four horses in and working is too much for creaking bones and tendons. There is a Plan, and this plan consists of retiring/PTS (as circumstances dictate) the older lads in turn and not replacing them until I am left with the one younger mare to ride into my twilight years.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Sorry but only option a and b are acceptable to me. I couldn't have a horse pts just because I wanted a new one. I also wouldn't pass a horse on that wasn't suitable for riding (whatever age). Like pansymouse my decision re pts would be purely on their welfare. I think the article would be better if it was more balanced.

So are you prepared to have horses that are not rideable, and give up riding, perhaps for years? How do you think the article could be better balanced?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
So are you prepared to have horses that are not rideable, and give up riding, perhaps for years? How do you think the article could be better balanced?
Yes if I couldn't afford another horse, I'd give up riding my own and find other ways to continue my hobby. I couldn't have them pts if they weren't in pain and they were enjoying life. The article would be better balanced with other opinions. Not just a one sided argument.

Reactions: JJS

Mrs B

Visit site
Yes if I couldn't afford another horse, I'd give up riding my own and find other ways to continue my hobby. I couldn't have them pts if they weren't in pain and they were enjoying life. The article would be better balanced with other opinions. Not just a one sided argument.
I'm still not sure why you think the article isn't balanced, though? It gave 3 options, of which you said you'd only choose option 1) or 2). That's your prerogative.
Are you saying that there should be other opinions about whether it's ok to give away an elderly, unrideable horse, ideally as a companion to anyone who replies to such an advert?
Very occasionally, that horse might strike gold in the retirement stakes but as a former owner you (as in one) would probably never know if that was the case, or whether the end of the story for a once much-loved horse was the opposite of a fairy tale ...

Sadly, the latter is far more likely to happen than the former.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It would but I think any chance is too much of a chance.

Good old Jessica Young/Beaus mum + whatever other names she likes to go buy was doing the facebook rounds again recently :(.
Then you get all the ones where the owners pop up as someone has alerted them to the fact that a horse they used to own and sold with an unfixable medical condition to a loving companion home is now at Ricky's or Sam's or any other of that delightful bunch, back in work and up for sale.
The name(s) is currently escaping of the person who had acquired 4(?) free to good home TBs in the last few weeks and put them in a field to fend for themselves.

Yet still every time it comes up that people do try to make people aware of all of these cases they often get called interfering, it's nothing to do with them etc etc.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'm still not sure why you think the article isn't balanced, though? It gave 3 options, of which you said you'd only choose option 1) or 2). That's your prerogative.
Are you saying that there should be other opinions about whether it's ok to give away an elderly, unrideable horse, ideally as a companion to anyone who replies to such an advert?
Very occasionally, that horse might strike gold in the retirement stakes but as a former owner you (as in one) would probably never know if that was the case, or whether the end of the story for a once much-loved horse was the opposite of a fairy tale ...

Sadly, the latter is far more likely to happen than the former.
You've latched on to one part of what I've said and run with it. My main argument is I'll care for the welfare of my horses until they're not having a quality of life and then pts. I will not pts just because I want another horse. People have said its a great article, I don't think it's any more than one opinion. I agree I'd never pass on a horse thats unsuitable to be ridden but clearly people do this, why? Open up the debate.

honetpot

Visit site
This spring I bought back a pony who I sold as a three year old, he has had four homes in three years and I could not bare to see him advertised again. He is not particularly naughty, now has PMS and apart from his peroglide is cheap to keep, so if he got passed around I dread to think in reality what happens to the rest.
Even if you state what is likely to happen on here, and suggest what may happen if you do not PTS you get people who say your a horse killer, give it chance etc. If one out of a hundred gets neglected its one too many, people are just not realistic about what its takes to keep and elderly horse.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I can't even imagine trying to find a home for Granny at her age. I couldn't even do it when she was 16 even though she was driving me mad...I couldn't face the possibility of a sad outcome for her so I had to suck it up and persevere! I wouldn't judge anyone who PTS. Horses are friggin hard work and a lot of money and there are thousands of reasons a person might need to call it a day and thousands of reasons why a horse might be better PTS than passed on.

Old horses for sale or being given away is such a sad thing to see.

Tarragon

Visit site
Black Beauty should be made compulsory reading for all horse owners :)
I also wouldn't judge someone who took the decision to PTS; animals have no concept of the future.
I haven't yet had to make that decision so I have no idea how I will feel when the time comes (two ponies aged 20 and 13 that I have had for 14 and 8 years respectively).
I totally agree that old horses for sale or being given away is such a sad thing to see and in my opinion morally wrong.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You've latched on to one part of what I've said and run with it. My main argument is I'll care for the welfare of my horses until they're not having a quality of life and then pts. I will not pts just because I want another horse. People have said its a great article, I don't think it's any more than one opinion. I agree I'd never pass on a horse thats unsuitable to be ridden but clearly people do this, why? Open up the debate.

Already going on on this thread:

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/when-do-you-know-its-time-to-stop-riding.767411/

Polos Mum

Visit site
I was blocked on facebook yesterday by someone who'd advertised their 16 y/o dog - deaf and blind and not needing much exercise. It was the advertisers elderly mothers dog, the mother wanted it PTS as she was struggling to look after the dog. The advertiser thought the dog would be better off spending "her last few months" in a new home.
I got so angry I probably deserved being blocked for the incredulous tone of my comment!!

People who think life at all cost have not witnessed suffering of either people or animals. Lucky for them. For most who have seen suffering PTS is NEVER the worst option.

Chuckieee

Visit site
I thought it was a good article. However will a vet put down a horse just because it’s old? Some people are saying that they’d put a rideable horse down to avoid the uncertainty that these old horses face. That’s fair enough but will a vet even do that or does a vet simply do as they are told?

cbmcts

Visit site
I thought it was a good article. However will a vet put down a horse just because it’s old? Some people are saying that they’d put a rideable horse down to avoid the uncertainty that these old horses face. That’s fair enough but will a vet even do that or does a vet simply do as they are told?
The hunt or knackerman will - no questions asked! TBF most equine vets are realistic souls who are grounded in reality as far as finances and facilities are concerned and see enough neglect and hard cases to see PTS as a reasonable decision. I've only met one equine vet who tried to convince an owner to treat rather than PTS but knowing him, I suspect that was his God complex coming to the fore...

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

Vets do as they are told - and what they charge an arm and a leg for. Sadly they often do NOT do it well and the only way I'd get a vet to do it is if he was standing there when I made the decision. Just two weeks ago, I had a 26 yo mare put down - she'd been retired for years bu her breathing suddenly became VERY noisy. Local huntsman did it perfectly - she was munching nuts I was holding when it ended in a flash. I have no 'guilt' about putting a horse down when the time arrives - though I confess I do a lot to delay it with old favourites. Today my EDT did the teeth on a 26 yo retired hunter - he assured me that the teeth - though 4 were 'dead' - would NOT give him trouble for at least another year. Yes, he'll need rugging as it gets colder - and a couple of small feeds a day (he's a WB) - but what the heck. He deserves it. I have 9 retirees at present - none of them will leave here other than in the hunt wagon when the time comes.

Chuckieee

Visit site
I take some comfort from what the OPs above had said. I would hate to make this incredibly hard decision for a vet to then either refuse to do it for ethical reasons or to try and guilt trip me out of the decision.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Vets certainly don't just do as they are told, they are not obligated to PTS an animal at the owner's request, they can refuse to do so. They are obviously advised to give a lot of consideration to doing so though and whether subsequent owner distress will compromise welfare of the animal.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-sta...ns/supporting-guidance/euthanasia-of-animals/

However I'm not sure many equine vets would take that line and equine owners do have alternative options if they did.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't ridden for 6 years as I can't afford a second horse and while my mare is sound and happy being a field ornamental my responsibility is to her....

Actually your first responsibility is to yourself. You are no use to your horse of the stress of keeping it tears you to shreds, as it would some people.

windseywoo

Visit site
My friend's just had her mare PTS as she knew she wouldn't get through the winter. She was 26, had been retired since she was 14 and had lived the life of leisure.
We were both in bits whilst my friend was discussing it with the vet, but the time was right and considering storm Callum came in the next weekend my friend had no regrets. Would she have sold her on to someone else at 14, no she chose to retire her because she wasn't safe to ride and she lived as a field ornament for nearly half her adult life.

blitznbobs

Visit site
From the other side we took on a 36 year old Shetland a few years ago when the owner couldn’t care for her anymore... she’s now over 40 still going strong - we stopped the kids riding her 18 months ago because she was getting a big creaky but actually she seems to have come good again ... she’s had loads of happy times with us and bosses the rest of the horses around and neighs to demand going in and out ... re homing older horses can work and although I hate the ads not all new homes for these horses are bad

Goldenstar

Visit site
In a world where people move their horses livery yards the whole time I think the fact that change is stressful for horses completely escapes some people .
Moving home in old age can’t be fun for a horse unless of course it’s had a crap home and is lucky to move on to a better one .
A great many of these old horses are simply being moved on because it suits the owners and it’s wrong IMO ,keep them or put them down .
The fate of old horses in the wrong hands can be truly terrible I would never ever risk that for one of mine .
Others of course have different views but I think they are wrong and don’t mind saying it plainly in the context of this debate .
There are also far too many lame horses limping around fields retired often owned by those who attempt to take the moral high ground in this debate with serious stuff wrong with them many being kept on no medication for pain this is IMO just plain wrong and I find it impossible to understand their reasoning .