H&H Online Training Academy - we'd love to hear your thoughts...

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
Dear forum users.

H&H is looking into launching an online training academy which will cater for all riders to help them become the best they can possibly be. It will feature written, audio and video lessons across all types of riding and horse care. We'd love to have your feedback on this concept, whether it's something you'd be interested in and any improvements you might like to suggest.

Please do go and check it out via the link below and let us know what you think.

https://training.horseandhound.co.uk/hh-online-academy/?utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=pilot

Many thanks, H&H team

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
I have had a look and I think its a great idea. I also think the "buying a horse" course should be completely free.

Thanks for taking the time to look and make that suggestion. What do you think about the pricing? Is it about right, too much or too little? Obviously we'd all love to get everything away for free, but it's going to cost us to create the content and provide the ongoing support that's included so making everything free isn't really feasible.

Denbob

Visit site
I love the idea, although imo £14.99 is a bit steep without knowing the type of lessons/quality of expert advice. Would you consider implementing a free trial period of a week or so with limited access to some lesson plans?

Also agree buying a horse course should be free, or at least heavily discounted.

ETA you already do, that's proof of my attention to detail for you 🙈

D66

Visit site
I didn't really have a view on the pricing. I am wary of signing up for monthly subscriptions because they rack up so quickly if you take your eye off the ball.
Also I have recently given up riding and horse ownership so unfortunately am not currently likely to try out the courses, though I could be in line for some on grassland management or similar.

humblepie

Visit site
There are a lot of good online resources from top riders which are available for free and so I think this would need to be something different or extra to justify the price. The 1 to 1 help in the second package gives that but then the price of that is equivalent to a lesson per month. Like Denbob would want to know the type of lessons/quality of expert advice and wonder if the two elements should be separate so the horse care as one option and the riding/training as another.

D66

Visit site
I dont think the rest should be free but people often come on here complaining that the horse they bought isn't suitable or what they expected and then it transpires that they haven't the slightest idea of how to go about buying a horse. having this first lesson free would do a huge amount for horse welfare and may also mean more people would carry on with horse ownership giving you a bigger audience for your other courses.
Another idea - perhaps the BHS, World Horse Welfare or RSPCA could sponsor the first course.

Nicnac

Visit site
Interesting. I think £14.99 is expensive and certainly wouldn't pay £29.99. I like the test marking/feedback but wouldn't personally be interested in the 1:1 support as get that through my instructors. I couldn't see what the commitment would be - can the subscription be cancelled at any time? Ignore - I found it!

For the lite package, I would pay £9.99 with a pay as you go option for the test riding as I compete but would find this useful if trying a higher level of test. Maybe a cheaper price for long term magazine subscribers?

It would be useful to know who the experts are.

Littlebear

Visit site
I think its a great idea especially for those that feel a little nervous about asking questions to get help and support from a trusted source!
For the more experienced people that may sign up it would depend on who the experts were so I think their credentials and details should be listed.

scats

Visit site
From my experience, there has to be a lot of regular new content for people to justify spending that money. I signed up to something monthly that had some really useful content put up, but it wasn’t updated regularly enough. So I was paying to look at the same videos all the time. The they would say things were updated weekly or twice weekly, but they weren’t. I cancelled my subscription and told them why.

I certainly wouldn’t pay £29.99 a month.

abbijay

Visit site
I have to say at £30pm I'd rather have an extra lesson than access to videos.
At £14.99 it would be dependent on how many videos I could access (that are relevant to my interests and learning level) but until it is a hugely established resource with a lot of files in it - I imagine being able to use it like a video library of health/training/management queries that I could dip into as issues arose - i don't think I could justify £15pm.
Also, the dedicated forum bit isn't for me. What's wrong with good old HHO? Would the answers be any more reliable than the ones I get on here?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I’m confused why in the FAQ it says you need regular access to a horse? If the content was good enoughi thought it would be a relatively good way for those currently without to keep their hand in/learn some new stuff while they are horseless?

Overall I think the advertising is very lacking in detail I want to know more about what is going to be offered at each level. For instance bandaging is a bit rubbish albeit functional but by hoof care knowledge is fabulous :p I really would want a more detailed curriculum to know whether I would get any benefit.

McFluff

Visit site
I like the concept and idea. I can see why you've gone for a simple two level approach, but I do think there may be merit in splitting horse care from riding (and maybe driving?).

I actually can see the £30 month option appealing to people who can't regularly access lessons and/or competitions - so the 121 and the filming to compete would appeal. As a comparison, online dressage costs about £16 a test - and the judges feedback is really useful (usually, but not always, more detailed than you would get in a live competition). I assume this is the type of activity that will be in the competition? Would it also expand to offer other types of competition that people could set up at home? The big question will be whether there would be enough interest to enable investment into fresh content to keep people hooked.

Not sure of the point of the forum - this one is very good, and I can't see what another one would add.

i think that there is a big gap in the horseworld for educating the average owner - this will help people who see that they need the support and are willing/able to pay for it. It will possibly still miss those who really need to learn more though! Would it be possible to offer prizes or bursaries to the courses to help those new to horses or who can't afford to sign up?

Also think it's a great idea to see if the horse buying guide could be sponsored and made free to access - even if it just stops a few mistakes a year, that would be great for horses in this country.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
As with all interests the person has not only to want further their knowledge and be able to afford it but needs to know where to look for it. I am not sure your idea would reach a lot of people who may need it or enough people generally to make it viable.

I am no longer amazed by the lack of knowledge of some horse owners and even though I still need to learn I would rather spend my money on a lesson with an instructor who I trust and who knows my horse and me.

J&S

Visit site
I am sorry but all the reading and writing and video watching in the world will not make up for hands on, one to one experience. An inexperienced, would be horse owner would be far better off helping out at a good, (and I emphasize "good") Equestrian Centre, learning the basics with the real thing, i.e. a live horse, a real set of tack, a real stable full of muck and so on. If horse owning was as easy as answering sets of questions and getting the right answers how come there are so many people asking so many different questions on this forum and getting such a variety of answers! However, if you do want to read about how to start a horse or train one on, try Henry Wynmalen.