[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!!
grin.gif
Sorry, that is just so funny.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Oh you will!
grin.gif

It stands for Hormone Replacement Therapy.Its given to women when going through menopause.
There was a big thing about it a couple of years ago when a lot of woman were taken off it depending on there drs - I really can't remeber the reason why now.

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
[ QUOTE ]
Its the bottom link

Scroll down

Am not good at links, this is my first one

You did ask for the pictures

Hope they havn't upset you

[/ QUOTE ]

Rg

I did mean if it was pictues I DID NOT want to see them
confused.gif
why would i ?
confused.gif

Bosrebel

Visit site
Ranchgirl... if it was PRE menstrual urine... then the mare wouldnt have to be pregnant to get it, and the foals wouldnt be needed anyway..?!

XmisshorsestyleX

Visit site
Ooow I researched this abit a few years back, im so glad that its finally coming to an end!
laugh.gif
I also got shown a website by my friend about Tennesse Walking Horses and what they did to them in the states to alter and emphasize their Gait. Truely sickening...
But in order for these things to stop, people should be in the know. Tia, as your over that way has there been a crack down on people soring their TWH for showing purposes?

Jellicle

Visit site
Would just like to reiterate what Tia says about NOT relying on PETA for information, and particularly PETA photos. Their information is often years out of date. I have found this with their descriptions of laboratory animals as well as PMU units.

Parkranger

Visit site
is this the same PETA who some it's members sabotage hunts without a care in the world for the horses who fall and occasionally have to be destroyed (my father, as a copper saw this a few times).

Oh the irony.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Thank you just caught up with my post.I think it is awful if any animal suffers for us.I am a meat eater and try to buy local produced meat that has not travelled but I am not stupid about these things and realise unfortunately that when an educated country such as Canada does something about a problem then other countries step in who are even worse and sometimes the animals suffer more but we don't hear about it .I believe this happens in research.
I hope everyone tries to inform friends that there are synthetic hormones and they should demand them from their doctor.
I don't think the public in England know much about this[ as I didn't I'm ashamed to say]

Lets educate not argue.I think we are all on the same side

charlene

Visit site
Hi all

Have just logged in.

Tia if it makes you feel better I was wrong about the abbreviation for PMU. It was the early hours of the morning and must have been having a blonde moment.[lol]

As for the links I made I do hope they did not upset anybody but I do think most people are in agreement regarding the cruel way and conditions the mares are kept in.

The photos of this speak for themselves and are not from the dreaded PETA. It is up to form their own opinion on this.

I believe people can choose whether or not they want to educate themselves on this matter. I posted the links to enable people to have an insight into this should they want to.

I cannot help the website they come from as I say I am not very competant at all on the computer.

Anyway knowledge is power and I certainly learn something every day on this forum[spend far too much time here]and am not to proud to say Im wrong

Tia

Visit site
No probs Ranchgirl - this has moved on for me. I have sat here happily in Canada for the past couple of years, knowing that public opinion and a few hushed-up medical scares were enough for our Govt to take notice. We are on the same side - incidentals are irrelevant; but facts are very relevant and I know the facts from my side of the Pond.....I am unfamiliar with them on your side of the Ocean which is why I am so interested in what Ranchgirl said about the farms having moved from our Continent to yours. If this is the case, and I can quite believe it is, then Puddicat's quote is very very relevant and opens up a new theory......

Puddicat's quote:
[ QUOTE ]
somebody must be making it!

[/ QUOTE ]
So who is? Is this going on in Eastern Europe? Instead of the PMU foals being, as we saw over here, Paints and Quarter Horses with pretty decent pedigrees....have these PMU foals actually morphed into being WB's? Is this why most of these imported WB's have pedigrees where we recognise the Grandsires and Grandams.....but have never heard of the mares producing these offspring? This is EXACTLY what went on over here! Rubbish old draught mares were previously used to produce worthless foals - the only market for them was to the auctions for meat. They were a pain in the farm's neck....soooo many foals to get rid off. Then some bright spark found the answer......use registered mares that no-one has heard of but that has nice bloodlines from a year or so back. They bought in fairly good stallions...generally ones who had made a bit of a mark on the show circuit in their previous lives......eh voila!! They now had a marketable and lucrative by-product.....right up until the public became involved. Problems were discovered with HRT, risks were now being evaluated and North America shunned this practice....probably not because of the cruelty involved in the practice but because of the health scares and possible litigation.

Has PMU purely moved on? New Continent? New types of by-products? It makes sense to me that these European bred WB's, which are being bred en-masse are not just there to make money as public equestrians demand.....but are in fact the biggest, most lucrative by-product around??

Food for thought eh? And almost a replica of what we saw over here........
confused.gif

Tia

Visit site
Quite! And gives the reason why these young horses being imported from Europe are sooooooo much cheaper than they were 10 years, or so, ago. This has to be the reason right? Are these Warmbloods, which are suddenly swamping the market, in fact PMU foals??
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Oh no - the nightmare continues.......
confused.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quite! And gives the reason why these young horses being imported from Europe are sooooooo much cheaper than they were 10 years, or so, ago. This has to be the reason right? Are these Warmbloods, which are suddenly swamping the market, in fact PMU foals??
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Oh no - the nightmare continues.......
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bloody el - that's a very interesting thought!

Tia

Visit site
Absolutely. I am just surprised that it has been allowed to be hushed up over there. I am surprised that the organisations which highlight these things going on have outdated websites with photos which are at least 20 years old, are still harping on about the amount of farms here in North America (when infact there are hardly any now) ......why are these organisations not giving up to date facts and figures? Is the European Union quashing their findings? Or are they not doing anything for some other reason? Assuming this is what is going on and this is why there is such an abundance of these European WB's, which are being sold on for seriously cheap prices, of course.

And yes Stimpy - "bloody el" is right!

I have tried to find info from here but I can't - my search engines are constantly bringing up NA sites and I can't find anything on European practices.

charlene

Visit site
Hi Tia

I have read your recent posts and Im pleased that you have concern for the collection of pregnant mare urine in Europe. I did not know that the units previously existed in Canada on such a scale.
Although I made links to the websites showing forms of horse abuse, this was not my intention to show this to people who would be upset by it. But as mentioned in a previous post, I think the horse slaughter issue strangely has great relevance to this issue in Europe. You will be aware that horse slaughter in Europe is a rather vast market and not that the PMU units are here I feel they work hand in hand with the slaughter industry. Whether directly or indirectly I do not feel it right that healthy well bred horses are sent for slaughter especially after making money for the pharmacutical companies, and the foal issue to me is quite unacceptable.

I have sent you a link and I think it provides more recent info, there are many more I could get and if you want them I could PM them to you??

You are welcome to PM me at any time regarding this growing cruel practise of PMU in Europe.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/domestic-feral/horses/pmu.html

Tia

Visit site
I saw all of those links years ago when it was big business over here. Those sites are all way out of date.

But, if you can find some European ones that would be great because my Search Engines are restricting me to all these ancient North American sites, showing the same old photos and saying the same old outdated information - either that or there aren't any recent sites looking at what may be happening in European PMU facilities...if these facilities exist. I'm wondering why, if it is happening over there, it has been kept under wraps for so long? Surely some organisation would have been given information on these places...or at least, you'd think so.
confused.gif

Thank you to all the people who have taken a concerned interest in this and have passed on information to me privately - it's appreciated. With a bit more digging perhaps something will come to light eventually.

Can someone tell me whether this has been on your news recently? What was the gist of the story?

charlene

Visit site
Tia

For some reason the whole thing is very hush, hush but if I can get information on links in europe I will. I dont suppose it is something they advertise about freely because of all the animal rights protests.

Tia

Visit site
I'm just surprised that the animals rights folk haven't cottoned on to it....or maybe they have! They just haven't collected all of their evidence yet perhaps?

The other thing I wondered was if these places are in Eastern Europe.....hmmm I doubt there are many organisations who would be investigating out there whatwith the language barriers, different cultures etc. Just a thought.

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't believe anything PETA says. Sorry but they are just full of propaganda ....

Yes PMU units existed, yes some of them were grim, however PETA honestly is not your best resource for information.

[/ QUOTE ]

agrred.