Hackamore fitting

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Does this look right? Or should it sit higher? It’s only to use a couple of times a week for hacking, but I’ve not really used one before so not sure how it should sit…

5BF42557-6C87-4D0B-B0EA-68504EC2FF5B.jpeg

044D2207-F035-4444-8513-A190B620C9BC.jpeg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
My understanding is it should sit higher so it is over the wider bit of the nasal bone.
This is what I thought too, but would need pony cheekpieces to get it any higher up and can’t believe a horse normally in a full size bridle would need pony cheeks. so thought I must be doing something wrong ? (I’ve already changed the cheeks from full to cob and they’re on the top hole now)

SEL

Visit site
I've got xs cheeks on a cob bridle and then had to fudge another strap (it's a shoelace) to stop the cheek pieces bulging towards her eyes when I pick up contact.

If it starts to look like the hackamore is a long term solution I'm having a bridle made!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Will order some pony cheeks this weekend. Did think it looked a bit low! He’s very responsive, and a pretty bombproof hack, so barely need to take a contact and it’s nice to give his mouth a break :)

paddy555

Visit site
I use an English hack and buy my bridles in parts, full head, pony cheeks. If I wanted a nice matching bridle I would have to order one.