Hackamores - Your opinions

Frazer

Visit site
What do you lot think of using a hackamore bridle, I have a mare who snatches at the rein, and who I dont really think I need to use a bit for on the flat! So was considinering a hackamore, does anyone use them. I have heard they can stop some of the horses breathing if used to harshly? Any ideas?

RunToEarth

Visit site
Am planning to use one on my lad when I get him back, thanks to kind HHO member. Only ever ridden polo ponies in them, they were all we used to exercise in, I have always enjoyed using them, although watching the action I think I would prefer to ride in a German Hackmore as opposed to an english one.

MagicMelon

Visit site
They're fine to use and do suit some horses who really dont like bits - I had one who was simply very mouthy, would have loved to put her in a hackamore however had to compete her (dressage etc.).

As long as you dont fit it too low, it shouldnt interfere with their breathing. Make sure someone who knows what they're doing fits it. And make sure your not nasty with it! You certainly shouldnt be pulling much on it, you only need the slightest touch.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I ride my arab in a hackamore. He's a big arab....16hh and chunky,...but has a fairly small beak, you know what small muzzles some arabs have. He never seemed happy with whatever chunk of metal I bunged in his mouth, so I went down the bitless route last year. He, and I, are very happy with the results. I think as long you are sensitive with your hands, keep it light, and position the noseband higher than you might with an ordinary one, you'll be fine.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I rode my boy in one for a month whilst we were waiting for the dentist. I usually ride in a Myler combo. He was fine in the Hackamore but I'd liken it to having air breaks... you need to be really really careful. I was very happy to be able to put my Myler back in
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
German hackamores can be VERY severe. I used an english one on my cob and he loved it, really went well and was only thing he went well xc in. You do have to be careful as they can be alot more severe than people give them credit for. I would recommend trying an english hackamore with a leather strap (NOT curb chain) until you get used to the action.
Tried it on my baby when he had a sore mouth and he HATED it. Depends on the horse.

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
German hackamores can be VERY severe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes they can, but I believe that a snaffle can be servere in the wrong hands. If you know how to use it, you can use it to work with the horse...

KatB

Visit site
Sorry R, wasn't making a pointed comment at you, yes I agree, so can a snaffle, but there is alot of scope to go wrong with a G.hackamore, as there is with a any hackamore. You need to fully understand theyre action to use them correctly, as i'm sure you do, but fitted incorrectly they can be very damaging.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes I have seen them go wrong before, we always exercised the polo ponies in the english, but when I rode Mac rob taught me how to use the german and its amazing how much the two differ! I find it easier riding one coupled with a snaffle, but obviously the eliminates the "bitless" effect.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
if shes snatches at the bit then that could be your riding shes telling you soemthing---like she not happy in that bit or you to heavy handed and leaning on the reins and head--for exsample
you need a good trianer

dont get a hackamore if she does snatch you will have no control
unless you know how to use the bit correctly

bits are the extention of your hands how they are is how you are
on them---

threeponies

Visit site
Scawbrigs are also bitless but much kinder, they don't have metal shanks on them. Maybe you could try one of these? I used to ride in one but my pony is a hungry highland and it didn't take her long to work out she could graze wearing it on hacks!

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Ive got 3 of mine in them ,

Ticky was never happy in a bit, always shaking her head, chomping on it. in a hackamore shes very happy and very light,

Freckles, well I tried her in one, because when I we to the states I got an american one there (like a german one with long shanks) and I just wondered what she would be like, she can pull like a train and gets very heavy, again, she was very light in it and still is.

Funny, I bought her last Dec here in Spain, she was not happy in anything, staight, jointed, double jointed, but im not really sure what she had been ridden in, and some of the spanish bits are harsh, and she had been used for tourists, lessons etc...plus she was a nightmare to bridle
so tried her in a hackamore, and what a transformation!!!!!, no more fighting with you, she was light and is so much happier, the funniest thing was when I first asked her to canter in it, shes just did not know what to do, she had nothing to lean to. But now shes perfect, and can canter without learning on you and carry herself,

but it does depend on the horse,
and I wish you could use them in dressage

jenny