Hacking alone

What do you prefer in the way of Christmas decorations?

• Total voters

JaneMBE

Visit site
Phantom will hack alone, he isn't bothered about company, and is spooky jumpy anyway
smile.gif

Herbie won't, he has jelly legs!
Magic will and is more observant, but is happy enough (as long you chatter away to her!)

My sister hacks alone and her horse is brilliant going for hours at a time.. still spooky but that's just him!

I hate hacking alone, would much rather have company. I have jelly legs too!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
All of mine hack alone but I have to be careful where I take Olympic (at college I used to take him around the village and he was fine but if I tried to take him anywhere other that that hack he'd have a hissy fit and try to bugger off home
crazy.gif
) He'll hack alone anywhere alone at Cazzas' place though
laugh.gif

hadfos

Visit site
Never had problem,broke him then had a hacking partner for a little while,broke this off as quickly as possible and he went out alone no probs,other than shouting for his friends all the way round,lol,soon grew out of that,been an angel ever since!!

tabithakat64

Visit site
Fudge lacks teh confidence to hack more than 10 minutes or so alone, but it is something I will be working on along with his confidence in general.
Lady hacks alone but it took lots of blood sweat and tears to get her hacking alone after I let someone ride her who let her nap then come home!

beatrice

Visit site
My girl will hack alone, but she is spookier. She is a spooky, tense type anyway, but when on her own, the spooks are more extreme. She still spooks when out with others, but they are less extreme. However the more she is hacked the less spooky she becomes. I havnt hacked her on her own for a while as i seem to have developed a fear of it ( even though i have been doing it for years and years and it has nothing to do with my horse,) but i will hack her out a few times in company and then bite the bullet and go by myself.
However i have always prefered hacking in company as hacking for my horses is chill out time, and the same goes for me, so it's nice to have someone with you to natter away to!

She is fine in company, but likes to be in front, she doesn't do anything when behind, just pulls a horrible face that is there until she is in front!

lilpinkso

Visit site
My angol arab was a big baby when i got him, he had never been out hacking before, he came to me with many problems and after groundwork sessions in the round pen he had so much trust in me and would follow me anywhere..

so... I took him for a long walk in his headcollar along some tracks and then into the woods behing the farm, when we were a few miles from home i jumped on his back and we turned back towards the yard, he was brilliant
cool.gif

he kept his eyes on a scary looking crisp packet(just in case), and at one point he broke into a panic jog - i gave a quick tug on the leadrope and he calmed down... proud mummy

i find that if you become part of their herd (pref the leader part
tongue.gif
) they consider YOU to be 'company'

i think it's good to be able to hack in company or alone (ideally). i enjoy both for different reasons..

Puppy

Visit site
Yes, my current horses, and all the previous ones I've owned have hacked alone, (although two of them took some blood, sweat and tears to get them there
crazy.gif
)

I expect my horses to go out alone, and wouldn't buy one that I knew was bad about it, they'd be useless to me.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Axel happily hacks out on his own now, but a while ago I had a bit of a problem with him not wanting to leave the yard!
I prefer to hack out in company as I love a good natter, but the other day I went out for a lovely hack on my own, it was great as I could do what I wanted and we had a lovely long canter in the forest and he wasn't strong at all. So I have been out a couple of times since on my own and I'm sure its done him the world of good, as he can be a bit of a wimp about things and will happily go behind another horse if there's something a bit scarey, but on his own he's really quite brave!

Evadiva1514

Visit site
My boys hack alone and in company very happily. Never had a problem with them hacking alone, as they have had to hack alone from day one as i have no one to ride out with.

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
As you know it took me months to get Charm hacking on her own. Took alot of tears and patience. Glad I did as she's now a fab hack, really safe and I don't have to rely on anyone else to baby sit me which could be a right pain.
In fact we are often asked to help others now
grin.gif

SAL66

Visit site
My boy is fab to hack out alone, it was one of my tick boxes when looking for a horse, he also hacks out with others and i often get asked to accompany nervous or youngsters out on a hack because he seriously doesn't bat an eye lid with traffic of any kind.
Tne only problem he has is with cow's, he is frightened of them, but shakes , his eyes pop out of his hand, I swear he grows a good hand , goes past and goes back to "normal".

mickey

Visit site
I have always hacked alone, even as a teenager (and at that time I was leading out polo ponies too).
With my horse now I have always hacked him alone happily, since he was a 4 yr old. It never crossed my mind to worry about anything going badly wrong. I found it great relaxation after work or other stresses.
Since having a big accident in the school, I am not nearly as confident and have pretty much given up hacking out of the yard I am at now, which fronts a busy and fast road.

burtie

Visit site
I have always hacked alone, but at the moment with Herbie I always go out with someone as he is a baby and the open forest can throw a lot of unexpected challenges. I do take him out on a short hack after schooling though and probably will go out more on my own next year when he has seen most things you can encounter out.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Both my hack alone. I did have some napping battles to get over with Gyp, I put that down to being young but now we are absolutely fine. Hattie has always hacked fine, but she was 11 when I got her.

Daphnelia

Visit site
Hazzle is a gem to hack out by himself. Dilly I think may be a little wary but sure she won't be any trouble. We've just got her riding off the lead rein so thats our next challenge
smile.gif