Hacking around Kidderminster, Bewdley area

JoannaC

Visit site
Hi
We are hoping to move next year somewhere nearer my OH's parents who live in Shrewsbury but also commutable to Birmingham and found a few properties with land for sale around Kidderminster and Bewdley although they seem to have been on the market for over a year so wondering if there is something we should know about the area!

Anyway for me the hacking is really important as love riding for miles preferably with not too much roadwork especially as OH is a novice so need to feel safe taking him out! Anyone know this area or any suggestions for other commutable areas. We current travel 2.5 hours to get to Shrewsbury so anything less than two hours will be an improvement but more importantly OH needs to get to work in Birmingham in under an hour.

Can't wait to have the ponies at home and be able to please myself with turnout etc!

fathorselover

Visit site
Hi, I grew up in Stourport on Severn in the mid to late nineties and rode at a place called manor farm- not sure if it's still there (oh the memories! ) but I remember we used to hack to Hartlebury common and the 'rifle range' from there - my memory of it is a bit murky but I remember lovely rides.

JoannaC

Visit site
Hi, I grew up in Stourport on Severn in the mid to late nineties and rode at a place called manor farm- not sure if it's still there (oh the memories! ) but I remember we used to hack to Hartlebury common and the 'rifle range' from there - my memory of it is a bit murky but I remember lovely rides.

Sounds good, not sure about the rifle range though lol! Will google Hartlebury common too.

TTK

Visit site
I live just outside Cleobury Mortimer & ride in the Wyre Forest all the time. Google WBRA for details. Feel free to PM me if you want a locals view on any particular property / area.

kc100

Visit site
I've just moved to Cleobury Mortimer, horse is at a yard between Cleobury and Bridgnorth - loads of bridleways and very quiet lanes, hacking is amazing compared to what I'm used to! Generally the further you get away from Kidderminster the better, Kidderminster itself isnt particularly nice (cheap properties however) and is a busy large town so you're not going to have great hacking there; but go a bit further out past Bewdley (Bewdley is much nicer than Kidderminster, you'll pay for that however with the property prices) and the hacking improves.

If you get into Shropshire (rather than Worcestershire for Bewdley and Kidderminster) then you have lots of options hacking in the Shropshire hills, and as someone else has mentioned a bit past Bewdley is the Wyre Forest. If you are looking for places to live Bridgnorth is very nice, may be a bit far for your husband though to get to Birmingham in under an hour.

Clent and Kinver are other nice areas to look at that are a bit closer to Birmingham - plenty of good hacking around there too.

Good luck with the move!

ihatework

Visit site

Ha ha - I have not such pleasant memories of that common!! I went to school in Hartlebury and they used to force us out around the common on XC runs - one particular PE teacher used to whack us across the back of our legs with wispy branches if we slowed down!!!

Coblover63

Visit site
I'm up the road a bit from kc100 on the outskirts of Bridgnorth, about 12 miles away from Kiddy, but round here that's practically next door! We have a huge equestrian contingent around here. Lots of active RC's and local shows. Check out Bissellwood EC - they have the most amazing farm track with jumps and fun rides.

Molly-Chops

New User
Visit site
I kept my old horse just outside of Kidderminster in Shatterford and the hacking was fantastic. Lots of wooded areas with great access for riders.

Would reccomend the Wyre Forest as others have done, but it can get busy there with walkers and cyclists. The other great place in Kidderminster to ride would be Bissell Wood (I think they can be found on Facebook!) I actually have never been there myself, but I have lots of horsey friends who regularly attend the rides there.

I live in Hartlebury and have ridden to the common on a few occasions, but it's not huge! Where I used to keep my horse in Shatterford was fantastic. You could spend 3 - 4 hours out with very, very little road work! I would highly reccomend the yard I was on there to other people if they are keen hackers!