Hacking around Somerset

22becky92

New User
Visit site
Hello,

We are looking to relocate up to Somerset for various reasons. We having been actively viewing houses coming up for sale. We are lucky enough to be able to hopefully get something where our horses can live on site with us. One of the things I have struggled with his finding homes with access to decent hacking and bridle paths. Can anyone recommend some areas of Somerset, which may prove to be more fruitful in this area so we can keep an eye out for houses which come up in those areas
I’m aware of Exmoor, Quantock and the Mendips but are there any other area, which may also be of interest?

Grateful for anyone’s help!

QuantockHills

Visit site
I'm in the Quantock Hills and it's lovely riding! a real mixture of woodlands and also open hill.... there's also the Somerset levels.... Aller, langport etc but I think that will be a lot more roadwork...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Some areas of the levels have quite a few rideable droves, between the ditches so some areas have better (albeit flat) hacking than some.

Where we are is rubbish spot, so boxing to beach/mendips/quantock was quite frequent. Stuck with the sea on one side and the M5 on the other (I did go over the latter but it didn't lead to anything much more hacking wise anyway).

cowgirl16

Visit site
I used to be at a yard in Holcombe a few years back. Didn't rate the hacking there - the lanes are busy and fast - very "rat run" like. Bridleways few and far between too.

zandp

Visit site
Holcombe is trailerable to Longleat Forest and Salisbury Plain and the Mendips which all have good hacking. Stourhead area - North Brewham / Bruton / Mere etc is good as you can ride round the forest there too and there are a lot more bridleways around in Somerset than there were in Kent !