Hacking buddies - Over Alderley area

clairebeau

Visit site
2015-02-14_16.53.10.jpg.html

Micky

Visit site
The hack through the edge is barely worth it, you go in one end and hack back the same way, beware of the loose dogs up there too. We went up there for a nosey (no one stopped us), it was ok but very steep! Dancingkris, still waiting for my lad to become completely sound again, got bit footsore again...sigh...! Not been ignoring you, just waiting for sound nag! You cant hack around birtles ( ?) as far as I know not in the fields anyway. The sands on the edge are fun but horribly muddy at this time of year. :)

dancingkris

Visit site
Micky - oh no! Was going to drop you a text funnily enough to see how things are as I've not seen you out and about. Hope he's better soon - it's so frustrating xx

Micky

Visit site
Very very frustrating!!! Farrier out again tomorrow, def lame on nearside front now, only shod thursday so hopefully sort it out tomorrow, sigh....no pulse, no heat, full of it so not laminitic...please will something go right from now on!!! Will throw you a text when hes back on form x

dollymix

Visit site
So being brutally honest please.... Is it worth moving from Prestbury to Nether Alderly if main motivation is better hacking? Don't want to move further from home and be no better off!!

dancingkris

Visit site
I think the hacking is great if you don't mind roadwork for a good part of the year. I went out today and it was lovely and we saw about 4 cars all the time we were out. In the summer there are the sand hills which look great - I haven't had chance to ride on them yet due to being pregnant and then last summer having a young baby to look after but the guy who rode my horse was always down there and got H fit enough to do cross country so there are places to canter etc. Have you found somewhere to move to round here? I took some pics today but haven't got a clue how to upload them!

dollymix

Visit site
thanks Kris - I do like the look of it but was worried I was going to have a much longer commute (about double what I am doing now as I live in Bollington) for not much better hacking

I don't mind road hacking if it is quiet roads and pretty scenery. The houses in Prestbury are lovely to look at out hacking but I am bored already and only been there 5 weeks! The sand hills sound fun! Where are they?

I have been to visit Finlow Hill (VP Polo) and they seem very nice. Not much turnout, but to be honest, as my mare is a welsh D she lives on fresh air so limited grazing actually suits her! lol

Last edited:

dancingkris

Visit site
I used to be on Finlow! I loved the yard and the people who run it are really nice. The turnout was the only issue for me especially in winter as there was no way I could manage two TB's stood in everyday and a baby too. I found my own little place just over the fields from them where my boys live out all year round. I do miss the social side of being on a yard and at the time the other liveries there were a great bunch - I don't know many of them now sadly but as I say the owners were lovely. Sandhills are about 10 mins hack from finlow - down a very quiet and pretty lane and through some woods so a nice ride before you even get there!

Last edited:

clairebeau

Visit site
http://s520.photobucket.com/user/cl...Uploads/2015-03-07_131226.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Here is a pic I took whilst out hacking last weekend. Do I need to upload each photo or does this take you to the album? Xx

I think wherever you are there is going to be an element of the 'same old' whilst going out hacking locally to our own yards, it's just about whatever you and your horse like. A friend keeps her horse at Dean Valley and CANT hack her horse out due to her hating any traffic, but has a great farm ride and facilities to use...I'd feel a little trapped if that was me as I'm loving exploring all my old routes with my new horse.
We used to know local farmers would allow us on their land after harvesting, we would ride to the pub (now closed!) and they had a paddock attached and the landlord would let us let the horses off in there whilst we drank beer.
So if I were you I would possibly find a yard you like and go off for a big walk investigating round and about to see if you would like it. Xx

dollymix

Visit site
after much deliberation - I have decided to stay put for the time being. I think the hacking Over Alderley will tempt me over eventually but my OH is in the middle of changing jobs and I think I should be sensible and let the financial situation settle before I commit to driving further every day! lol

I might see about boxing over some time though - I am liking the sound of the sandhills! :)

dancingkris

Visit site
If you have transport for your horse then boxing over would be well worth it - it's only 10 mins drive from prestbury. Let us know when you are thinking of coming over and we can show you round!

dollymix

Visit site
If you have transport for your horse then boxing over would be well worth it - it's only 10 mins drive from prestbury. Let us know when you are thinking of coming over and we can show you round!

Thanks Kris! I may still make the move over the the next few months, but being Mrs Sensible and think it would be wise to wait until my partner's job situation has settled down - just to be on the safe side!

clairebeau

Visit site
HACK over :)
I used to hack to Prestbury shows at Gollings' from here. Take a picnic, heehee, I would go off for hours years ago...Just need Bally to be fitter and some shoes on and we will go off all over the shop!
Hey, the hunt leaves from The Cock on Saturday...oh I do WISH she was fit. Xxx

dollymix

Visit site
HACK over :)
I used to hack to Prestbury shows at Gollings' from here. Take a picnic, heehee, I would go off for hours years ago...Just need Bally to be fitter and some shoes on and we will go off all over the shop!
Hey, the hunt leaves from The Cock on Saturday...oh I do WISH she was fit. Xxx

haha maybe I should! Used my lunch break at work to research hacking routes on mapmyrun! Found one 8 mile route, and one 10.5 mile route up into Bollington and over White Nancy. Better get the ponio fit :)

dollymix

Visit site
Just an update but been to look at a yard on Wrigley Lane tonight..., is that near hacking buddies? :)

Not sure yet... They have no school. Plus I have another yard to look at on Saturday. But that ones nearer poynton