Hacking chums or not?

Hacking solo or in company?

• I prefer solo hacking

Votes: 74 57.8%
  • I prefer to have a companion with me

Votes: 50 39.1%
  • I like to ride in a group of 3 or more.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Hacking? No thanks!

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

pistolpete

Visit site
Really dislike hacking alone. My monkey mind goes mental making up dangerous scenarios! In company I’m really confident! I’m weird!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I put companion but that's mainly because I've been having hacking lessons/1:1 hacks with instructors who have been helping me with my confidence.

In general I think I quite like solo hacking, or at least I did when I had my lovely share pony that I felt most confident on. I used to get annoyed going out with someone who used to get cross when anything and anyone for existing; her horse was a bit spooky but I am sure that this did not help matters.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I have always tended to be a solo hacker, simply because I've firstly got my horse at home with me so I tend to just go on my own; but also because I'm self-employed and tend to fit my riding around whatever I'm doing at any one time without having to consider someone else's routine.

That said, over the last say 8yrs or so, I have ridden in company more than I have at any other time in my life. We tend to go with just two horses and box up to the local open space, or to a clinic, or whatever.

That said, I guess am a bit of anti-social old git coz there's nothing that gives me greater pleasure than just heading out on a spring morning (like this morning) and having a nice relaxed bumble around on my little pony. Perfect!

planete

Visit site
I ride because I like being with the horse and giving him all my attention. It makes me a very unsociable companion so I prefer to ride alone then have a good natter with my friends when not riding. I can also get very tired riding these days and I find it easier to be able to chose how much energy I am going to expend on my ride depending on hiow I am feeling without worrying about other people.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I need another option. I love hacking out alone, and I love hacking out in good company. Can’t really choose between the options.
Same here. Hacking alone is great when you want to do your own thing but sometimes it’s nice to hack and chat. What does annoy me is when you arrange a hack and then the person you are going with suddenly says into the ride that they can only do a short one as they have to be back for something. Fine but if you’d said it prior to going out I might have made a different decision.

I always take my emotional support dog so does that really mean I ride solo? 🤔

Ladybird L

Visit site
I love hacking in a big group! However, I’m generally on my own just because that’s not possible every day, and that’s ok too.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I love hacking alone, I see it as spending time with the horse. If there's someone else there I have to talk to them so I feel as though I might as well be on a bicycle or on a walk. I also notice a lot more nature/countryside when on my own, and I come back far more relaxed; I work with lots of people in a very stressful job for long hours so I want peace and quiet the rest of the time. I haven't ridden with anyone else for at least 10 years. I also love going to fun rides on my own, although it's amazing how many people make odd comments about it and/or feel sorry for you and offer to provide company (and don't like being told no!).

I have nearly always hacked alone.

Now that I have a driving pony I need to have someone to come out with me and am finding that I really do not like it.

I have only driven my driving pony (he is also ridden) once since covid for that exact reason. It's a shame as I love driving and would be happy to go out on my own.

The above is probably explained to a large extent by the fact I'm autistic; I also prefer going to events like Badminton etc on my own, and I couldn't stand living with someone else either as I'd find it too stressful.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I'm "all or nothing" on this. I want to chat or be on my own.
If we're talking, I want to be side by side having a really good natter.
I hate walking along a road in single file when the conversation goes
"muffled ..blah...whatsit"
"Pardon"
"I said..snork..bimble"
"
Can't hear you hang on I'll come up nearer"
"No.. she kicks...oops"

Last edited:

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I prefer to hack alone, my horse is very good alone and is confident and happy to do so. I am lucky with my hacking routes though. I can go for miles off road with only a couple of small village roads to cross over.
I dont know that i would like being on my own on busy 60mph roads

nagblagger

Visit site
Depend,s if i'm on the mule definitely on my own, it's our time and i can relax on her, she also gets tense in company of another horse.
However if i'm on the cob prefer 1 companion as she is spooky and we give each other confidence, her horse rarely shies a what the cob is looking at and visa versa.
Never a group , i'm antisocial.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Generally on my own as most people on my yard don't want to do the distance, speeds I do or go out in all weathers - I'm not a maniac but I don't want to mainly walk either as pony needs to be kept fit to keep slim so we trot and canter as much as possible. I do hack with people maybe once a fortnight/once a month or so. I used to regularly offer others to come with me, but it doesn't really ever happen so I don't bother anymore!

I have a couple of friends that do endurance on other yards who I'll ride with when we can organise it as it's a nice fit

Pony doesn't care if he has company or not and it's quite freeing being able to go out for as long as you want rather than tied to companions time limit etc. In the summer I often do 4/5+ hour rides, take some food with me and make a day of it!

JoannaC

Visit site
I voted companion but I like a bit of both really although since being alone at home have really missed having someone to go out with hence i've bought another pony so my friend can ride out with me but I've also now got a bombproof pony to hack alone as well. My mare has a water phobia so going through water alone was a real problem but she follows my new boy through no trouble so another plus for having a companion.

ponynutz

Visit site
I prefer hacking alone and I'll often listen to music as I go. However I do enjoy some company occasionally!

humblepie

Visit site
I always hack without a companion - it has come about as default as no one else on the yard rides out the same time as I do, or they generally tend to do a lot more trotting on the road than I like to. I enjoy going out alone as it is my thinking time, my time to chat to my horse and we can do what we want. I sometimes come across someone else from another yard and we will hack for a while together and that is nice. I think it would be nice and my horse would enjoy hacking out with someone else but I just don't want to trot on the roads (other than short bits) so no kindred spirits.

Trickywooo

Visit site
I like having someone with me. We have miles of counrty park on our door step, much of which you will not get a phone signal. I like knowing I have someone with me "just in case".

Nasicus

Visit site
Much prefer my own company. Can go where I like/where ever takes my fancy, as long or as short as I like, as fast or as slow as I like, change plans etc.

ihatework

Visit site
I’m generally 50/50 hacking solo or with a companion (the right one!) depending on the situation. I actively dislike group hacking though.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
All of the top three. It's nice to have company sometimes but it's also nice to tootle alone as Fluffles, although a superstar is rather one speed, her speed, so hacking with chums can be a bit much on my legs trying to keep up 🤣 We also like going for the occasional jolly in a gang 😊

Annagain

Visit site
I've just posted about my first solo hack in nearly two years due to several factors. I'd built it up into a bit of a monster in my head but Wig was a total star and halfway round I remembered how beautifully peaceful it can be.

I do like company though for several reasons but mainly because I like the social aspect of it. Our hacking is fairly decent but not amazing so it can get a bit boring without someone to chat to. Even before my break, I'd tend to ride in the school if I was alone because it gave me more to focus on and not get bored.

Tarragon

Visit site
If I want to concentrate on the finer riding and school, then I prefer to hack alone so I can concentrate. Other than that, hacking with a good friend is fun but not necessary; I enjoy hacking on my own

2 Dragons

Visit site
So many variables.
In the last few days I have had:
A lovely solo hack on R mare, looking at the bluebells and doing a bit of schooling.
A ride with my young sharer- the first time she has trotted out hacking without her mum jogging along. Proud of her
A long late afternoon mainly walk ride with 3 friends
A ride with 1 friend on C including cantering along one of favourite tracks that has now dried out

All were fun

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I usually hack alone. My horses walk on and it’s frustrating when others dawdle and slop along. Impossible to chat and having to keep stopping to wait is annoying. Guess I’m a loner. I enjoy the company of the horse.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Depends on the day and horse. Fin won't hack alone. Nae danger. So he always goes out with mates. Hermosa hacks alone. I like swapping her between solo hacks and accompanied hacks, just for the training/experience of it all. Some weeks, I'm out by myself every day. Some weeks, I can't get away from people even when I want to.

She is the dawdler. If a horse walks faster than her, she slops along at the back and stares at everything around her. And she hates tailgaters. If she is lead horse and the one behind her is putting on pressure, she slams on the brakes. "Then you just go, mate." She'd be one of those douchebag tourists on the A82 who bimbles along, admiring the scenery, and then slows down when an angry local gets too up her backside.

Jambarissa

Visit site
I said with companion which isn't actually true, I'd much prefer to be alone but there are so many hazards near us I think it's safer for us to have a companion if we're going further than the end of the farm tracks

I have very sensible horses and there are plenty of people who want to come out with me to babysit their insane buggers which isn't really relaxing but big horse strides ahead and little horse lags behind so I may as well be alone anyway.

Plenty of opportunities to ride in a larger group on my yard and I hate it. Always end up on a route I dont like (why do people want to ride round a housing estate?!) or out for longer or shorter than planned or fallings out over paces etc.