Hacking Devon Cornwall border

Henryed

Visit site
Hi All

I have finally been given permission to work from home and now have the chance to relocate back to friends and family. My new problem is that I have no idea of the hacking in that area. Looking at a map Bodmin looks good but then I read about a CROW? and Dartmoor is covered in danger areas?

What I would like to know is if there is good areas to concentrate on? I have friends and family in Liskeard and Gunnislake so 30mins search area would be my preference.

Where to go and where to avoid?

Many thanks

devonlass

Visit site
Not sure what a CROW is?? Some sort of right of way I would guess but unsure of details.

I know loads of people who hack out perfectly well on various areas of Dartmoor so don't think you need to worry too much about that,sure you would find some great hacking to explore whatever side of the moor you are.

Pretty sure there is good hacking to be had on Bodmin moor as well.

No idea about the other Cornwall areas you mention sorry.

Henryed

Visit site
crow is, as I can gather "The CROW Act 2000" basically a permit to ride.

Not sure though if it is operational.

Thank you for your input it's quite a big step and really don't want to get it wrong.

w1bbler

Visit site
Dartmoor has fab hacking, danger areas are live firing ranges, red flags up when in use and dates / times published in local press. Plenty of riding around them when in use - don't feel its that much of an issue. Also I think seeing danger area on maps keeps lots if tourists away!

Welly

Visit site
Hi we moved back down to Cornwall a couple of years ago. We have bought a house on the edge of Bodmin Moor near Pensilva, Liskeard. The riding is lovely, we have the moors around Caradon and Minnions when the weather is nice, but when the wind is howling we can ride on the many small lanes with lovely high banks, the wind goes over the top! The traffic is very light and the people very friendly. Good luck.

Lynette

www.horsetransport.org.uk
I would second the Pensilva area having ridden in that area for the last 35 years. There are some old mine shafts which are fenced off so perfectly safe and also a couple of bogs on the moor but again if you know where you are going no problem. There is also horse pool which is great for taking horses swimming in the height of the summer (OK I know that didn't happen last year with the weather).

Gunnislake you are very limited to mostly road work apart from Latchley woods but you can ford the Tamar in the summer to ride on the Devon side as well. Closest moorland to ride on is 6 miles away at Tavistock.

Never heard of a CROW before but I guess this is what it is for Cardinham Woods as you buy a permit to ride there.

Last edited: