hacking in company blows his brain!

haybug

New User
Visit site
Any suggestions. I have a lovely 9 year old cob x tb when he hacks with one other he is generally well behaved but he has to be in front. He will not behave behind another horse. If the other horse goes into trot in front of him, he will launch into a canter on the spot or sometimes buck. I thought I would solve the problem just by putting him in front and then he will settle and no bucks in canter then. The other day we went out on a hack with a couple more so I put him infront and then asked him to canter, he then bucked about three times before I kicked him on and yelled at him. Its such a shame that he does this in company as I would like to do sponsored rides or a show one day but I think he will be a complete nightmare. I have had his saddle checked/tweeked and he doesn't buck when out with just one other horse behind him, so I don't think he has a sore back. I just think its high spirits, what do I do? Just try and ride him through it, risking my confidence and an injury or is this something that can be schooled out of him some how? He was in the past hacked out a lot on his own could this be why he is like it?
:confused:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It may be a slow job, but try and make hacking with larger groups quite dull for him for a while.
Get a couple of friends, preferably on quiet horses, to do walk hacks, with him at the front, in the middle and at the back. When this is quite tedious for him, then introduce a few trots, but slow and steady ones, again until he is bored. Put him in the ride where you want him and just make sure that you take this slowly. Hope it works out for you.

Archiepoo

Visit site
i had a horse just like this and like yours he could cope with one other horse as long as he went first into canter etc, he was evented and could have hacked him up the motorway he was so safe by himself, but just not safe in company. i tried hard to improve it and went to funrides when i thought he was improving ,and he was uncontrollable ,it was just not safe to do it and unfortunately i had to accept he was a hack alone type of guy:)

haybug

New User
Visit site
I had him when he was 5 years old and for a while I had to hack on our own all the time and whilst he was very good, I did not enjoy it and got a bit bored. I do prefer to hack with others as it gives me more confidence but I think my friends will get fed up with me if I insist on going in the front all the time. Unfortunately i am having to change yards this weekend and I am not sure I will find anyone who will be patient enough to put up me and my silly boy :(

I am going to see if I can get some help from an instructor but its a bit difficult as he only plays up whilst hacking. He doesn't like the school very much but I wondered whether if he was made to ride behind other horses in a school he may get used to it on a hack. Or should I just send him away somewhere for extensive schooling which I know will be expensive but I might be better to do that than have to part with him :(

Last edited:

Kallibear

Visit site
Only thing that's going to improve it is lots and lots of pracitse. 4-5 times a week for 6weeks kind of practise! There are always horses who cannot relax when out with other horses they don't know but most will settle after a couple of weeks of boring practise, in the middle and back as well as the front.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I have one that goes "stupid" in company and we are now up to hacking with up to three other horses, as long as its calm and relaxed, take him on a fast ride, when his not in front and with another excitable horse and it still completely blows his brains but he couldn't cope with one other horse a year ago so we are getting there.

I would just say, practice, practice, practice and some really nice understanding hacking partners.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
I have a similar issue with my boy, although his problem is more when we go into canter in company(even just one other horse in front has him broncing til he can get infront), trotting and walking he's ok if a little strong.
The only thing that we can do with him is keep doing it, til he is bored(as was suggested above).
Hacking on his own he's fine now, will walk, trot and canter politely and no braking issues, in company, unless he's in front, we have no brakes.

He's 6 btw, and I've had him since he was a foal.

goldypops

Visit site
I feel for you. After yesterdays events going for a ride with 5 others I have renamed my horse ASBO! Mine is fine on his own or with just one but anymore than that he jogs, goes sideways and bucks (and even worse bucks and runs backwards into passing cyclists and walkers - we have to block him in with his girlfriend when passing anyone!) and it doesnt matter if he is in front, middle or behind. We did some pleasure rides last year and I think it was that that blew his brains out! In an effort to actually see if he would settle and calm down I (although I really didnt think he was fit enough after only doing 8 miles max before!) trotted and cantered him for 15 miles on the last pleasure ride and he was still being a prat when we crossed the finish line. I still am hoping that he learns to calm down but I am not holding my breath!